Temperature

S3mad

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Hi ,

I dont not if this is right i run the car around 8min from cold and it gets to around 72 on the gauge ? This was the same on the climate control .

Is this right this is when the car is standing ?

Thanks

S3MAD

S3 coolant system design requires the engine to be used at 2000rpm ish and above to warm the engine. This is why the manual says to drive the car straight away after starting.

It is normal for the car to takes ages to warm at idle. Does it warm up quicker when you drive it?

well i drove it the other day and on the motorway it was sitting at around 60 when i was doing normal motorway speeds just not sure if its working or not as only drive it local .

I had to pick up a new thermostat for mine.. once warm and stationary, it could happily reach 90 degrees. Yet when it's running (even half hour into a journey..) it was around 65/75 degree. Even on the CC unit, where you access the CPU and do the mode things, it was around 70 which wasn't good.

New thermo fitted (~£14 from my local Audi) and job done. Takes about three minutes to fully rise now (the temperature, I might add..)

Hi ,

so its not right if the temp is sitting at 72 after 8min ?

what do u think of these ??

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=5590

I had to pick up a new thermostat for mine.. once warm and stationary, it could happily reach 90 degrees. Yet when it's running (even half hour into a journey..) it was around 65/75 degree. Even on the CC unit, where you access the CPU and do the mode things, it was around 70 which wasn't good.

New thermo fitted (~£14 from my local Audi) and job done. Takes about three minutes to fully rise now (the temperature, I might add..)

what do u think of these ??

I wouldn't know, sorry. (That's why I went direct to Audi for one..)

After a good run, let your car idle for a few minutes, see it the temp. creeps up then. After 8 minutes, it should certainly be sat at 90 if it was working right.

Hi ,

so from cold start and standing it should raise to 90 in 8min ??

I wouldn't know, sorry. (That's why I went direct to Audi for one..)

After a good run, let your car idle for a few minutes, see it the temp. creeps up then. After 8 minutes, it should certainly be sat at 90 if it was working right.

At idle it will take ages to reach normal temp, but it should get there. More than 8 mins I imagine.

Can't see the point in that thermostat from awesome. Lots of high power cars don't need it. The stock rad does a very good job at keeping things cool.

I'd say replace with a stock new thermostat.

Ok ,

Thanks ill do that .

At idle it will take ages to reach normal temp, but it should get there. More than 8 mins I imagine.

Can't see the point in that thermostat from awesome. Lots of high power cars don't need it. The stock rad does a very good job at keeping things cool.

I'd say replace with a stock new thermostat.

I picked up my thermostat from Euro Car Parts for about £12 and it has done the trick on mine. I would only ever hit 90 degrees if stationary in a traffic jam then it would go down to about 65-70 when moving. Sorted now. I'd say it will be at 90 degrees after 8 mins of normal driving (under 3k revs).

Ok ,

ill test it out when i go to work i just think i have never really seen 90 ,
have many people fitted there's ?

I picked up my thermostat from Euro Car Parts for about £12 and it has done the trick on mine. I would only ever hit 90 degrees if stationary in a traffic jam then it would go down to about 65-70 when moving. Sorted now. I'd say it will be at 90 degrees after 8 mins of normal driving (under 3k revs).

Once the temp reaches 90 it should stay there, if it doesn't then your thermostat definitely needs changing.

Do a search on here cos there's a guide somewhere that I used to change mine. It took about an hour in total and one part of it is quite fidley but not impossible. If you dont mind doing work on your car give it a go cos its not the hardest job in the world.