Changing bulbs...

David

Owdee A-free
Reaction score
My dipped beam bulb has blown, so I need to replace it. But I can't work out how it's done :(
Any ideas? Had a quick search but couldn't see much....
Cheeeers.

Which model and year do you have. When I know that I can give you a link to the relevant pages from Elsawin.

Read the manual, its quite clear in there!

From what i remember, you just have to push down on the bulb holder and it clips out. One of the easiest cars I've owned to change a bulb in. Even my chubby fingers found it quite easy!

Read the manual, its quite clear in there!

From what i remember, you just have to push down on the bulb holder and it clips out. One of the easiest cars I've owned to change a bulb in. Even my chubby fingers found it quite easy!

I wouldn't be certain but if I remember correctly from when I owned a 2004 2.0TDI the manual did not give any details of how to change the headlight bulbs. It is certainly inincluded in the manual for my current 2007 model but I think the 2004 manual just said visit your dealer.

Mines a 54 plate and it has a full pictoral guide!

Mine would have been an 04. Perhaps that's when they changed to giving more details.

Hi h5djr, thanks for the guide I've read on other forums that the headlight itself needs to be removed but I'd rather avoid that if possible. I haven't tried the Elsawin method which seems too easy to be true. Shouldn't take longer than a couple of mins right?

Just a question re the following

– Remove bulb -1- from spring clips -arrows-.
– Detach electrical connector -2- at dipped beam bulb.

when you push the clips in are you removing the actual bulb or the housing? By detach electrical connector do you mean simply remove the bulb from the housing?

Cheers.

Hi h5djr, thanks for the guide I've read on other forums that the headlight itself needs to be removed but I'd rather avoid that if possible. I haven't tried the Elsawin method which seems too easy to be true. Shouldn't take longer than a couple of mins right?

Just a question re the following

– Remove bulb -1- from spring clips -arrows-.
– Detach electrical connector -2- at dipped beam bulb.

when you push the clips in are you removing the actual bulb or the housing? By detach electrical connector do you mean simply remove the bulb from the housing?

Cheers.

Pushing in the spring clips just allows the bulb to be removed from the housing. I've found it better to leave the electrical connector on the bulb until it's removed as it gives more to hold on to. Also I put the electrical connector onto the new bulb first and then put it back in the housing as it makes lining up the tabs on the bulb with the slots in the housing much easier. Make a mental note of the position of the electrical connector before you take it out and then you can alight it in the same position when you put the new bulb back unto the housing.

thanks. Is it easy to hold the spring clips in the 3 areas indicated with arrows with one hand? Do you think there's a chance I could break something.
Do you know why a lot of people a recommending to remove the entire light by undoing the 4 torx screws?

Wheres the spring clips?

Just take the rear cover off, stick your fingers in and locate the plug, push down on the plug and it will clip away. Remove the plug with the bulb still attached, (as below) swap and pop back in but this time clip up to locate the bulb

Its a 2 minute job for each bulb! Just give it a go!

Its the worst car I have owned for changing the bulbs. It took me ages to change mine. Theres no room at all to get access.

Couldn't even find how to get at the sidelights so I haven't bothered changing them for some nice white ones like I wanted.

Just wanted to say thanks for the above tips, am happy to say that I as a complete novice managed to change the dipped headlight bulb! I'd recommend Elsawin's links above as the best place to go. Bit of fiddling around needed as you can't see inside the housing but that's all.