Aircon - on all the time?

PixelVogue

Reaction score
Website
www.d12rft.net
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if the aircon should be on all the time? My car is a 1.8 SE and dont really need it on now but whenever I get in the car if its not that cold the aircon is always on, is this supposed to be on all the time? Trying to workout my MPG aswell so dont know if this will affect it by 2-3 MPG?

Cheers

Air con will be on unless you tirn it off. The Econ button does this.

And yes it will effect your mpg with it on.

It is designed to be on all the time, turning it off for long periods will result in unreliability as the various gaskets dry out and it will start to leak gas, plus bacteria will build up and it will stink when you finally do turn it back on

Also take note that when the outside temp is below 5DegreesC, the compressor switches itself off, so it will be off no matter how many times you hit the Auto/ICE button, and the clever bods at Audi also makes the compressor switch off when you plant the throttle to max, so you get maximum power to the wheels. :)

Ive never turned mine off in 4 years :) I have it set to 19 deg for my key and I think its 21 on the wifes key lol.

To your key? explain this!

In the manual, I read the other day that the settings for the aircon are stored by the individual key so if you have two keys, one for you, one for the missus, depending on which key is used, it will revert to the last setting used. That's how I understand it anyway...

That has to be the height of laziness, pressing the +/- button is such an effort!

On my facelift, the left button below the display (with a curly arrow on it) is the recirculation button. Unless that is on, air is always taken from outside.

Cheers,

yea i have the circulation button, but you know how on other cars you can open a vent or something to let the air to come straight in, without turning on the aircon at all

I find the key thing handy as I only notice the temp is too high once im feeling drousy. Thats no good after a 12 hr night shift

personally i'd just leave it on..... not worth worring about !!!! may save you a mile to the gallon.......