how do i....

Izzy1

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
how do i take off the parcel shelf in the A4? i want to get access to the rear speakers but can't seem to find a way.

do i need to take off the rear seats (thanks audi for not fitting fold downs)?

if so how do i pull them off. i've undone the two bolts from the bottom and can't seem to lift it off. it there a technique on how to do it?

The deck cover just pops out then slides forward (remember to disconnect the cyclops brake light first). Just push it up from underneath to release the pop fasteners.
No idea on the seats as mine has fold downs.

seats would have to come out, i think? (i know i folded mine down and removed the bolsters when i did mine)

be careful sliding the shelf back on afterwards - like a noggin i put one of the shelf retainer clips through the cone of one of my new speakers! DOH!

i have changed my speakers and never removed the seats. as andymac said, push the little clips up under the shelf (in the boot) and the shelf comes off. just remove head rests!

thanks, will give it another try at lunch and let you guys know.

tried and failed!

can't seem to find a way of getting the read seats off and i can't get me hand behind the seat to get a good grip on the parcel shelf to lift.

any ideas?

i think the read seats need to come out,

Izzy im sure the seats will have to come out mine are split rears IIRC the parcel shelf slides towards the front of the car. Also i had to remove the rear bolsters as well.
Here is an extract from another forum

Removing the Rear Seats

Just grab the front of the seat and pull upward... it is held in place by two spring clips at the front edge. It'll just pull up and out.

The rear side bolsters are held in place by two hooks; one at the top, and one near the bottom. The bottom hook needs to be freed first. Push the bolster in and down far enough so that the bottom hook is free... you will then be able to pull the bottom out. Once the bottom is free, the top hook can be lifted out.

and here on speaker install.

HTH

If its a fixed seat car, remove the lower squab, and look under the seat upright and you will see 2 torx screws there, remove them and then the seat will slide up off its 3 holding clips. You then need to get into the boot and look right near the firwall in the shelf box section you will see 2 little clips that need releasing with the tip of the screwdriver.If you then look below the 3rd brake light you will see the connector plug, it just pulls off

Once the clips have been released the shelf will lift up and then drag into the car. It will still be connected to the seat belts as they feed through it

dude... i have a solid rear blk head, (my seats dont fold) dont be afraid to give the shelf some brut force and ignorence! as long as all the little white clips are pushed back through the holes on the boot side i cant see a prob. all i done was took my head rest out.

TUG IT MY SON!! the shelf i mean! its a audi not a nissan it wont snap!! (famuos last words!!) its prob just well in as its never been taken out b4!

Also what are you doing with ya old standerd speakers?? i could do with the tweeters please if your just gonna lob em?? :)

Alpine once i manage to get the speaker free i'll have a look to see if they have tweeters and you can have them.

i need to upgrade the sound in the car as i only have the front working at the moment. need an ISO connector to connect the rear.

think i will have to use brute force to get the damn seat off and get the shelf out.

it's a fixed seat, i've removed the two bolts at the bottom that hold it in and can pull the seat forward but i'm bending the wire in the seat which isn't what i need to be doing, it's a matter of releasing the 3 hooks on the back of the seat. they just don't want to budge. think i'll have to go hulk on it.

When i upgraded the sound on our avant, i left the original audi speakers alone, and fitted a subwoofer.

I'd tried to install some infinity components in the front doors, but due to the horrible fitting adaptors and the design of the speaker, it sounded worse, because the cones suspension foam was jammed against the adaptor.

I ended up moulding a fibreglass sub box to fit in the side of the boot, and mounted a 12" pioneer sub in there, with a 300wRMS Sony amp driving it. Pioneer head unit up front driving the original audi speakers and it sounds pretty damn good. Becuase the main speakers arent having to work hard reproducing all the bass, it stays sounding crisp even at high volumes and the sub provides just the right amount of bass fill.

The only other part i want to install is a bass controller i knocked together myself for about 3 quid using a pot from maplin and some resistors. I've just never managed to get a chance to install it into the car. I find that without it, you cant really set the sub up perfectly. Some tracks seem to be mixed so that they are very bass heavy, which gives you a horrible overpowering amount of bass from the sub, and others are mixed to be quite light on the bass, having the knob to adjust it is rather useful! I've set it up just now as a compromise but it would be better with the knob!

I'll get some photos of the install and pop them up so you can see them if you want.

The head unit only has front and rear pre-outs unfortunately. I'm driving the sub from the rear outs.

I had the level controller when i had the sub installed in my old astra and it worked well, just didnt have the time to drill holes in the A4 when i installed it, and its sat on the dining room table since then!

I'll see if i can sort those images out!

ok i only had some photos of the fibreglassing, not of the completed job, so i took some quick shots just now. Ignore the mess in the boot :p and also the camera seems to make the sub look much darker than the rest of the trim, but it is infact quite a close match.

Check them out here:
http://lr90.org/Audi/stereo

Uploading them atm so they should be online in a few minutes.

just checked the link does'nt seem to be working

Seems the server thats hosting my website has gone down :( The network interface that connects the router to the universitys network is dodgy, i was in the machineroom last week trying to replace the interface but had a problem with the machines display and didnt manage to get it changed.

Probably wont be back up till monday now, but if its up before then i'll let you know.