New S3 vs Old (with Remap)

fairzy

Reaction score
As the title says really, just wondered how you think an origional S3 with a 265BHP remap would stack up compared with a new 265PS jobbie?

Similar BHP but the origional must be considerably lighter, so it should be faster accelerating?

What do you reckon?

no utter crap, exactly the same when mapped

I would like to think the same BUT the 0-62 for new S3 is 5.6 - 5.8 (depending where you read it) whereas the original S3 is quoted around 6.6.

Will a remap give a 1 second reduction?

Also the original is 80kg lighter, so if the power is the same it should actually be quicker??

I would have thought the new S3's would be quicker due to the better gearing and being able to hit 60 in second.

ICE

Well i had a new one that couldn't keep up with me . haha

Personally, I think the new one would be just as quick if not quicker than the old one mapped.

Sheer speed aside too, the new S3 is a far nicer car, not knocking the old one at all, but it's just evolution!

I could of gone for a new s3 but didnt like the look .

Thats why i got the old one . I have seen more new s3's than old s3's plus everyone driving a new one drives it like a granny lol

Personally, I think the new one would be just as quick if not quicker than the old one mapped.

Sheer speed aside too, the new S3 is a far nicer car, not knocking the old one at all, but it's just evolution!

8L vs 8P -> 8P is faster

8L(mapped) vs 8P -> 8L is faster

8L(mapped) vs 8P(mapped) -> drag strip - 8L launches very well. 8P bogs. Times are close, however after 160km/h the 8P pulls like a banshee

8L(mapped+intake) vs 8P(mapped+intake) -> 8P is faster hands down

don`t class tyhe new S3 as a S3 as audi wimped it on the body shell, but that said new one would be faster and handles a hell of a lot better than the old one.

Just the new one looks like a s-line......... y oh y oh y did audi do that

I love the look of the classic one and as they say the origional is always the best!

:s3addict: (the old one!)

The new one is quicker than a remapped 8L by a fair margin. If you're talking about pure acceleration from standstill the 8P's gearing is better and it doesn't run out of steam as quickly and can do 60 in around 5.5 seconds providing it doesn't bog down with the launch. The 8L can manage it no faster than 5.9 seconds no matter how hard you try.

Ignoring the 0-60 take off and gearing issues though, how about when both cars are moving?

I guess a big part of the 'on the move' comparison is down to torque?

The new S3 has 350NM...

Any ideas what a chipped (stage 1) origional S3 would put out? I guess much of that is down to the map?

I'd put my money on the new S3 being quicker whether the 8L's had a remap or not....

Although the original has bags more character ! like said before, the 8P's all look to similar to one another....

The new S3 has 258Ibft....an 8L with a remap has anywhere between 250 and 295 approx......

Thats why i got the old one . I have seen more new s3's than old s3's plus everyone driving a new one drives it like a granny lol

Why don't you use the money you saved to buy a decent set of Avus alloys instead of annoying us with your wanted posts?:p:lmfao:

new s3 will leave a remapped s3 no problem at all!not even a question.

from what alot of the 8p boys say the new s2 is quicker then an old s3 = remap. but i still love the look of the old s3

Who cares about the speed thing.... I would rather have a new S3 than my 8L any day of the week.

8P S3 ****'s all over the 8L all day long!

At the Inters this year I was up against one until he left the queue and another one I was inline for a race was moved ahead so it just wasn't to be.

Think the new one would do it as your looking at a brand new car against at least a five year old one and the new one besides looking like an s-line is very quick and some standard ones are above the stated power which is nice

Who cares about the speed thing.... I would rather have a new S3 than my 8L any day of the week.

8P S3 ****'s all over the 8L all day long!
contradiction lol

Would love a new 8P S3. I like my seats but the new ones are sexual. Plus the idea off 310+bhp from a remap does it for me.

yup me too, i would however look at a few in the same price range as the new S3 is too similar to the A3..... it isnt as unique and with them just releasing the 5 door S3,makes it less so - shame really

still wouldnt complain if given one

After sitting in S3BigAndy's one at CastleCoombe Circuit and overtaking an Audi R8, I'm almost sold! If you think the 8L S3 Recaro's are slippery, the standard 8P ones are worse! I was sliding all over the place!! Definitely needs the RS4 buckets for track work at least. Interior is a nicer place to be in the 8P, just more modern and up to date over mine, but styling wise, I prefer the wider arches of my 8L, but Andy's car looked good with RS4 front brakes and black MTM BiMoto's.

Standard 8P S3 for you, figures are at the wheels:

DSC00061.jpg

Am i reading that right,243bhp at the wheels for a standard S3?
If thats right, very impressive.:rockwoot:

As mentioned earlier, the s3 8p looks dull, exactly like a3 with s-line exterior. The wider arches on the 8L does it for me :arco: And don't forget the standard seats in the 8p vs. 8L. So, the money you save when you buy a 8L, you can spend on a decent gt28rs-kit. Then you can put the cars toe to toe ;)

Just thought i would make a few comments.

The 8P S3 is newer technology it has better gearing, direct fuel injection, more bhp, more tourque, it handles better, it has an aluminium front setup, probably wider track.

There are many things that are imporved, Audi would hardly make a new S3 that under performs against the previous generation. The 8L S3 was designed in 1996 ish so its gonna struggle. Why not drop an 8P S3 engine into an 8L S3, sort the suspension + brakes & buy some non slip seats.

Then of course get a remap, some of the boys on here are getting 330bhp from the standard turbo pretty good stuff i think.

On another note there are some amazing cars around at the moment.

Megane R26R / R26
Focus mountune ST
Focus RS (this will be amazing)
Astra VXR Nurumberg
C30 (coming soon, basically the same as the focus RS)

All of the above will be quicker than an 8P S3 not to mention the 8L.

You will probably find that most people with the new S3 don't drive it like they stole it because they would like their engine to last till xmas. Give it a couple of months then see if things are the same! This debate about old and new is wearing a bit thin now...so just be happy with what you are driving and if ur not buy something different.

:iagree:there will always be a car better in some way shape or form..... each car has its individual thing going on..... and new technology is understandably going to yield an advantage in some way

just thought i would add my two penneth here.this debate about speed and whats fastest will go on and on.if only audi had made the exterior styling of the new s3 as good as the interior they would have had a queue from the showroom round the block.as it is they chose too save money and as a consequence the new s3 looks no more than a standard a3 s-line.in my opinion the original still looks the part and has already become an audi classic like the s2

just thought i would add my two penneth here.this debate about speed and whats fastest will go on and on.if only audi had made the exterior styling of the new s3 as good as the interior they would have had a queue from the showroom round the block.as it is they chose too save money and as a consequence the new s3 looks no more than a standard a3 s-line.in my opinion the original still looks the part and has already become an audi classic like the s2

They chose to spend the monies on the Engine and Suspension on the 8P hence the low profile exterior, but excellent Performance, Economy and Handling over the old model. With the 8L, they went all out on the body with the flared arches and sills and more aggressive front and rear bumpers, but skimped on the handling, which is why a lot of us are spending £££s on the suspension alone just to make it handle like it looks!

sorry to drag an old post up....

had an experiance yesterday with an 8P S3..... rolling start about 20 mph, the guy was being a total n*b and was trying to get a rise outa me....thought what the hell and gave him the signal:jester:..... couldnt resist, there was nothing in it at all, stayed with him all the way up the rev range, it couldnt have been more evenly matched

obviously this isnt conclusive but gives an indication that a remapped 8L is in fact a match pace wise for an 8P..... we know conditions driver etc all count, the guy was toeing it and beckoned me so he must have been confident...