How to tell if chrome mirrors are genuine?

Ian W

Reaction score
Might be going to buy some chrome mirrors in the next few days.

Im guessing that there should be an audi symbol on them if they are? (Pre-facelft by the way)

Dont want to end up with a set of knock offs !

Pretty sure they will have a Audi logo on them and will have a part number too i think.

P9210349.jpg

P9210350.jpg

When you get them, mark them on the inside, mine got stolen a few weeks ago. atleast if they're marked them you'l know they're yours

Happened outside my house, gutted! No damage to the doors but don't think they had a clue what they were doing, quite easy to remove them but they've used alot of strength, the metal frame was all bent behind. The mirrors look good but its just a matter of time before they get stolen. My drivers side mirror had a few scuffs but i doubt i'll see them again

Grrr it's photos like Sandip's which make me realise that no matter how nice some proper S3 mirrors would look on my car, they're just not worth the hassle! So sorry to hear about the theft mate :sign_unfair:

Every little pikey scrote is out to steal them and they usually end up on eBay within a couple of hours! I'm living back at my parents at the moment and luckily there's no trouble around here but that's not to say that someone won't take a fancy to them while I'm in town or visiting friends/family.

It's not all bad though, got a set of mirrors sprayed them matt black with the grill, don't think they'll get robbed, plus got some cctv now, just incase:yes:

got mine from germany,£80 delivered,yes they are copy's but are very good

gutted for you sandip,,,,some people are bang out of order,didn't even realise there was a market for these things,if i want something like that i just go and buy it??

Theres a market for everything unfortunately, something might not be of value to one person, but maybe worth more than gold to another, thats just the way of the world!!

Gutted for you Sandip.

you can do two things, let these ar**s affect what you buy, or buy it anyway..... its the old you can live in a bubble argument....

oh and how to tell if they are genuine, first use a magnet to tell if their proper metal:lmfao:

sorry Ian couldnt help it

Thanks for your pictures Sandip, Ive not seen the mounts fail like that before. Looks like the mounting bolt washers were missing or too thin, allowing the bolt heads to pull through the door frame. Usually it is the tubular pivot that snaps leaving half the assembley on the car.

Marking them internally/externally sadly is pointless, see earlier posts on this issue.

By the way the geniune ones have clear machining marks when looking at the inside.

thats me done for:laugh:.... you mean they arent stainless?

Coke cans are Ali and aren't magnetic (i just remembered that from school ! )

Never tried a magnet on them, there solid machined metal, can't see any markings on them but they fit fine and give the car that 'S' look :salute:.

Been looking for Original pre-faceift mirrors for 12 months now, these will do lol