Running in question

mac1403

Reaction score
Right, I have read the handbook, searched the forum, never had a new car before. So, whats the general idea for running in? The dealer just said don't hammer it until you have done a 1000 miles. I have been running it up to 3500 rpm, occasionally a bit more when I forget :)

How is everyone else running in? and how many miles before you forget about driving like an OAP on prescription sedatives!

500-1000 is about right & maybe some good fuel to get it running well from the get

500-1000 is about right & maybe some good fuel to get it running well from the get

I thought about 100 miles, but was wondering if people were generally giving it a bit more than 3500 rpm. I am sure some on here have said that they have the occasional blast, as long as it's not sustained.

When I picked mine up she told me not to worry about running it in! but I'm just being gentle with it for the first few hundred or so and then I will just pick the pace up bit by bit I think?

Bear in mind running in too slow can cause more harm i.e. pistons need to bed in, driving too slow can cause glazed barrels/bores and blow by. I'm an advocate for vairying rpm with short blasts. The first few hunfred miles will dictate the engines life.

Bear in mind running in too slow can cause more harm i.e. pistons need to bed in, driving too slow can cause glazed barrels/bores and blow by. I'm an advocate for vairying rpm with short blasts. The first few hunfred miles will dictate the engines life.

So you are basically saying drive it like you would normally and don't worry about exceeding a certain RPM? In that case running a car in whilst covering most the miles on a motorway is not good then as rpm would be low and constant.

When i got my car i followed the instrutions in the manual..... for a bit!

Didnt go above 5000rpm for the first 500 miles, 2/3rds engine speed is 4600rpm. After 500 miles i slowly increased the rpm. Only ever in short bursts. I am waiting for 1000miles for an oil change, and then to just relax and enjoy!

I think its important for the first couple of 100 miles to take it easy, after that you should drive the car like you mean it!