Running In

GlasgowRangers

Reaction score
I will take delivery of the new car on Wednesday. I want to drive down to Bodrum in Turkey after I get it as I have a holiday this weekend. I thought it would be a good opportunity to run in the car. The journey is about 700kms each way.

Am I overdoing it? Is this too much stress to put on it?

Advice guys please.

No, shouldnt think so. As long as you dont rev it from cold which is something you should avoid doing you'll be alright. If you want to make sure, it tells you in the manual how to run in an engine. Think its something along the lines of dont go over 2500rpm in the first 800 miles and then use higher revs up until 1200 miles. After that your good to go.

Dont be afraid to give it a good boot every now and then in the run in stage. There was an earlier thread that said floor it in 3rd from 20 mph to the limiter (but dont bounce off it) and then let it slow down back to 20 mph. Then repeat a few more times. Apparently its best if this is done in the first 50 miles of the engines life.

Coss

Meant to be better if you vary the revs aswell. So dont sit on a motorway at 70 for 500 miles

I drove mine normally, plenty of bursts of acceleration here and there, just kept it below 5k generally for that first 1000 miles, reasonably gentle with the brakes, clutch, cornering etc as its not just the engine running in. Either way, I've only just needed to top up with oil after having the car for 5 months and it drives lovely and quick.

Also dont go over 2/3 of the engaine out put , so if it's 150mph max speed ,don't go over 100mph!

p

RGS3 said:
I drove mine normally, plenty of bursts of acceleration here and there, just kept it below 5k generally for that first 1000 miles, reasonably gentle with the brakes, clutch, cornering etc as its not just the engine running in.

More or less what I did and 800 miles away from first service (around 10.5k) and not had to top up with oil at all yet!