speedo help again!

Crashlanding

Reaction score
right i think there is no way about it but i ahve to get a new instrument cluster for my 1998 A3.

a few questions:

1. would it be possible to remove the speed (singally) out of an old cluster to fit it?
  2. are there any other things i must check before replacing it? my fuel guage is irratic and moves if i go around a corner! everything else apart from speedo not working.
  3. i understadn that i would have to get it on VAGCOM to program the immobilizor and change the milage abck to what it is? is this true?
  4. mwouidl any one out tehre with VAGCOM be able top help em out as i am on a TIGHT budget!
all help welcomed in open arms!

cheers guys

PS also any one got one going cheeeeep?

cjeers

IYes you need either VAGCOM to code it but you need a code which is on a scratch off panel when the car was new, or it needs to be done at a dealer. You can only change the mileage once on a brand new cluster and it has to go up not doen.

1- No idea i would guess not.
2- I havent seen this before but i would expect it to be a cluster problem and probably not a fuel sender problem.
3- You will need a vag com and the 4 or 7 digit code to reprogram it, this has been discussed loads on here so do a search. You cant get this code from audi anymore. You cannot change milage back with a vag-com only forwards.
4- you will defo get someone on here with a vag-com in your area to help you out.

There are tools which will alow you to change the mileage back and also tools which will give you your 4,7 digit code. But are expensive i believe. (vag tacho i think can do some of this).

Best bet if you are on a budget is to buy a new cluster and get audi to code it for you. although it will still be expensive.

Or i dont know if this would work but buy a 2nd hand cluster and just get the key coded by audi, would be chaper but mileage would be out.