Gona get a re-map advice on what to change?

spadey69

Reaction score
Ok so ive decided to get a re-map on my 1999 S3, what else should I replace?

Im a bit confused about the recirculating valve as I know this is week but if I put a dump valve on will this replace that? Or does it go somewhere else? Also where and which is best?

Sorry just not sure...Also what pipe is it I replace for a silicone one? Also there are different ones arent they for non ESP ones?

Gotta panel filter so gona pop that in and doing a service his week with,
Audi filters (genuine)
NGK laser platinium plugs x 4
Motul 8100 0w-30 fully synth ester oil(opie oils said it was the best)

Next week Im going to flush the rad out and replace the fluid so can any one give me any tips on that? Ie how to drain it, bleed it and what % coolant water and whats the recommended coolant?

Sorry for all the questions just want to do it all right.

Steve

alrite mate id replace the diverter valve/dump valve as these are prone to split ive got a bailey dv30 on mine which is silent.id also change the turbo intake pipe for a forge or samco one etc.im getting mine remapped next month by vagtch on a group buy deal which would cost £274 per car,check my thread titled group buy on vagcheck remaps.

Hi mate, thanks for that, so basically I can just replace the crappy vag diverter valve with a silent or none silent dump/diverter valve?

Where is it best to get the hoses from?

Steve

if you get a forge 007 recurc make sure you ask for the yellow spring, as i recently got one with green spring and it has less tention than the stock recurc has. now got a yellow

Id get some coil packs on top of what has already been said, a few of the lads have found these to fail after a remap, and while your doing the service, and while you have the intake pipe off to change it, id clean the Throttle body and clean out the mass air flow sensor. Personally i'd run some injector cleaner through it, and put some super unleaded for a while and map it on that also.

im not so sure about changing things for the sake of it i left my coil packs when i had mine done and there fine but my airflow sensor packed up so beware if you do replace your coil packs that you my still need a mass air flow sensor,

also i got the forge split-r valve on mine so it dumps partially to atmosphere and sounds really nice not at all over the top just what you want on a classier car but to still show of whats under the bonnet

Thanks for all the info guys, I have run some injector cleaner through her and it did help but will leave coil packes I think till they pack up,

The pipe you posted a link to is that for the 225bhp bam engine as mine is the 210 earlier one or will it fit?

I would like the partial atmospheric dump valve mes think, where do you get it from?

Steve

My opinion is to change nothing outside of a normal service apart from a failing part. I would stick with a new DV and then see how you get on after that.

I can't see any reason why you would need to replace the coolant unless it's contaminated.

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice, is there any difference with the pipe then to the one on the link below and the one I need?

Its just I thought there where different ones? Will that one fit my 210?

I want to change the coolant cos I think its just water in there..... So how do I drain, and fill and what ratio???

Steve

What is your engine code? There was a change to the turbo inlet pipe from very early models without ESP I believe, other than that 210 and 225bhp engines share the same part.
Those TIPs from Japan are good, I've read nice reviews for them.

You can get a split partial atmospheric dv from here --> http://forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=010201DV&product=FMDVSPLTR

The coolant should be pink in colour, if not then you should deffo get some anti-freeze to stop corrosion and freezing in cold weather. I always use the Audi G12+ stuff, but you can use off the shelf coolant from any motor factor. Just remember than the two types cannot be mixed. If you have some pink tinge to the coolant, then I get the g12. If its another colour like a slight blue, then go for the generic stuff or flush out all the coolant and replace with G12.

To drain, remove the front lower sound protection under the engine. At the bottom corner of the rad (passenger side) there is a tap. Undo this and coolant will drain out (remove the coolant filler cap during this process). Then you need to drain the engine block. Find the oil cooler. It's a square item above the oil filter. there is a coolant pipe on the right hand side. Remove the clamp and slide the coolant pipe off the cooler letting the rest of the fluid drain out.
If flushing the system you need to remove one of the rad hoses and force clean water via a garden hose through it until what you see clear water comming out. The suggested method is to force water round the opposite way it would normally flow through the system.
Fill via the expansion bottle after reconnecting all pipes.

Mixture is kind of up to you. On the side of the bottle there is a guide to mixture strength and the temps it protects down to. I think standard G12 mix is 1 part coolant to 1.5 parts water, but you can mix it 1:1 if you want.

Hi mate,

thanks for getting back to me. I think my engine code is APY? If it is can I just buy one of the ones off the link?

I think I will flush the system tomorrow and refill with G12 pink stuff. Is there a bleed screw once full on any rad pipe? Or do you just let the bubbles of air come out from the expansion tank with the cap off and let fan kick in a few times?

Steve

Hi mate

I know that one will fit but budget is tight so will the flea bay one fit?

Also how do I blled the rad system??

Steve

Those inlet pipes look the same to me. DPM likes to get his ads in, who can blame him.

As for filling, all you need to do is reconnect everything you've undone, then slowly fill via the expansion tank. Bubbles will emerge whilst you are filling. Fill until you reach the max mark on the bottle and squeeze the bottom rad hose a few time to release a few more bubbles.
Refit the expansion tank filler cap and run the engine until it is at normal running temp. (you may need to drive around the block as these cars take ages to heat up if not driven or hold the revs about 2000rpm, which is a bit noisy and boring)
Wait for the engine to cool again and recheck the coolant level that will have dropped a little. Top up the level to the max mark again and you are done.

Worth noting that my car's coolant level dropped alot between when i had refilled and letting the engine tick over for a minute. So just make sure you dont fill it close the bonnet and drive off without having a look first.

fleabay will fit bud thats what ive got for mine.just e-mail the seller and ask if this exact hose will fit.but it should do as mine is a 2001 amk 210bhp

Wow guys thanks for all the info, ive mailed the guy and waiting for him to get back to me to see if it will fit, but what are the differences with ESP pipes?

I will order one of them today and keep looking for a recirc/dump valve.

Cheers

Steve

er im not sure i believe with esp it has an extra port on the pipe.might be wrong,mines got esp and thats the one ive got from zena racing,honestly mate they are spot on and save you loads of money on the samco ones etc.

Now im confused again Dohhh, you all say it will fit and ESP one has extra pipe but my car is none ESP!!!! Please can someone clarify if it will fit my none ESP 1999 S3 210bhp???

Steve

ah i dont know that one might not then but zena racing do do non esp ones,just e-mail them and they will send you the right one.

Hi there agian......

just had this reply of someone, is this true? Basically means I wont be able to get a hose...

Hi

No sorry we don't. We have been asked this before. I don't think anyone does this hose. The non ESP S3 was only available for about 1 year, so I don't thnink many companys decided to manufacture one.

Sorry

Kind Regards

Ollie
THS

Steve

Well had replies of everyone now, zenracing and all uk guys and it looks like I cant get one for my none ESP S3 ... Dohh just have to stick with the crappy standard one,

Even if its Samco I will buy it as long as someone guarantees it to fit....

Help......

i'll be getting my car mapped on saturday, only query i have is i have a forge 007P in the garage from my last car. what colour spring will i need to be running for a mapped S3? as it got a green one in at the min.

yellow spring mate who you gettin it mapped by,,fancy waiting till next month and gettin a deal with vagcheck.lol