custom coded today

s3_kev

Stage2'd!!!!!!
Reaction score
had my car custom code re-mapped today after everyone rateing them, really impressed with the driveability but not entierly convinced on the extra ummph it gives (although he said my mass air flow meter is not reading correct, new one on order will be fitted thursday),
im not sure if its cos its still really smoothe with the power delivery or the fact its still only a 50bhp increase with the weasy little k04,
dont get me wrong im pretty chuffed with the re-mapp but just a little disapointed with the power think i was expecting a little more or is it just the mass air flow holding back all the rest of my power??
whats everyone else's initial thoughts after there re-mapp??

When I test drove the S3s, the difference between a non-mapped car and a mapped car wasnt as big as I was lead to belive when reading the forums

265bhp in a heavy car like the S3 still isnt gonna kick you back in your seat (or even feel that fast) Hence why after test driving mine there was no way I could have a standard or remapped one as they felt... slow?

When I test drove the S3s, the difference between a non-mapped car and a mapped car wasnt as big as I was lead to belive when reading the forums

yeah think thats what i feel but at the same time i dont wont to sell my car and i dont want to waste loads of money tuning it so may just get a forge front mount i/c at some point and leave it, plenty quick enough now for our car filled roads, not so sure about the nurburg thats on the cards for next summer

Mate you could go to the Ring with a car twice as powerfull as the S3 and still get ripped up for **** paper by Corsas and Focus' round there, I learnt that very quickly!

As for the FMIC, just remember that it wont increase your bhp, it will just sustain your boost for longer due to it being cooler. What have you done exhaust and intake side of things?

Mate you could go to the Ring with a car twice as powerfull as the S3 and still get ripped up for **** paper by Corsas and Focus' round there, I learnt that very quickly!

As for the FMIC, just remember that it wont increase your bhp, it will just sustain your boost for longer due to it being cooler. What have you done exhaust and intake side of things?

yeah i no me and my mate went to the ring couple of years ago with my mate in his elise we meet a guy out there with an elise and he took us out and my mate couldnt get his elise around there anywhere near as fast as him,
yeah i understand the i/c wont make any more power but llike you say will sustain the boost better especially if i do make it to the ring think it might come in handy for those high intake temps id be getting,
i have no other engine mods as of yet, the only other things i was going to get was the tip and boost hoses, not really to keen onspending £400 odd on an exhaust system that mayif im lucky get me 3bhp and a nicer sound,

That is interesting - For everyday driving it's the torque increase that should make it nicer to drive - lower down the revs? it early on but have you noticed it's smoother/better pull at low revs?

have just been out for a blast down some country roads does go well now but do feel the mass air flow sensor is letting it down can sort of feel it being held back, love the way you come out of a twisty bend though the floor it wow thats quite cool,
as for the brakes everyone slates i can conferm standard s3 brakes are cack

That is interesting - For everyday driving it's the torque increase that should make it nicer to drive - lower down the revs? it early on but have you noticed it's smoother/better pull at low revs?
oh yeah like i say the drivebility is great, and before 3rd gear was a proper let down and now it pulls like all the rest

had mine cc a couple of weeks ago and have to say I'm well impressed with the results. would like it to pull harder to the red line (above 5,500revs), but the engine isn't built for that kind of play. the extra torque makes the engine just so more flexible however, -in pretty much any gear it'll pull strongly enough for my kind of driving.

cannot enjoy it at the mo however, hit the mother of all pot holes yesterday and ****** 2 tyres and 2 alloys!!!!!! suspension seems okay (thank god!!!!) and am rolling around on a space saver and one slightly cracked alloy for the next 2/3 days. upset isn't a strong enough word.......
:crying:

Oh no the curse of the CC remap strikes again! :( It'll get you all sooner or later :blow:

Kev - I think the problem is that the CC remap is so smooth that you really struggle to notice the accelleration. Mines running pretty well at the moment and if I floor the throttle and don't look at the speedo there's no real feeling of speed..no "pin you back in your " seat feeling, but take a look at the speedo and you'll be quite shocked at the speed you're doing!

If you wanted a real thump when planting the throttle then maybe you should have gone for a Revo map?

Let us know what happends after the Air flow metre... i thought you wer selling your car kev?

I have my s3 going in for a remap and 25mm drop tomorrow. I really do hope i am pleased with it, after reading some mixed reports on remaps.

let us know how you get on mate, i too am getting a remap at the end of the month, going for a revo.

il have to agree the revo by the sounds of things does put you back in your seat. iv got a revo on mine and does. depends what you want at the end of the day.

pick it up from star performance tonight at 5. I am like a little kid waiting for christmas.

I will let you guys know how i get on.

thats funny, id go for the CC...wonder why that is lol

Actually did a lot of research on this, the CC guys used to do Revo maps, however, the story is that Revo wouldnt allow them to alter them for the 'better'...(obviously the word 'better' would be based on someones opinion).... so they developed their own maps

I guess there are plus's and minus points for both and id guess that there wont be much in it as one will do better in one area than the other and the other will do better in the other area.... 1+3=4, 2+2=4, 3+1=4, however you map it your gonna end up with similar results if both are going for the same types of parameters

Oh no the curse of the CC remap strikes again! :( It'll get you all sooner or later :blow:

Kev - I think the problem is that the CC remap is so smooth that you really struggle to notice the accelleration. Mines running pretty well at the moment and if I floor the throttle and don't look at the speedo there's no real feeling of speed..no "pin you back in your " seat feeling, but take a look at the speedo and you'll be quite shocked at the speed you're doing!

If you wanted a real thump when planting the throttle then maybe you should have gone for a Revo map?

yeah thats the thing i wanted the custom code as i wanted the drivebility of a standard car, im not dsapointed with the mapp quite impressed just feel that i was expecting a little more, not sure really, cant wait to get the mass air flow meter on though as its definantly not running quite right

Let us know what happends after the Air flow metre... i thought you wer selling your car kev?
no not selling up yet only had it scince january and love it, in no hurry to sell it lol, plus still waiting to spend more money and recive pars on order,

look at it this way Kev, when your on the pull, what earns you more points.... lengthy consistant sex sessions or a 5 second wonder.... i give you Revo and CC lol

Useful topic. Having picked up my S3 over the weekend, I am looking into a remap sooner or later.

Should I have too worry about standard internals with a revo map? (Revo being alot more aggressive, right?) I'm not sure about spending £100's on a new exhaust system, is this something you defo reccomend prior having a remap?

Anyone in the East Midlands area?! (Newark, Notts)

what map are you getting on putang?

Not really sure, going to have a word with jim when i go along tonight. Letting him use his experience to get the best out of my car

im getting my remap by vagcheck soon,decided to keep the s3 for another year,so why no.

Useful topic. Having picked up my S3 over the weekend, I am looking into a remap sooner or later.

Should I have too worry about standard internals with a revo map? (Revo being alot more aggressive, right?) I'm not sure about spending £100's on a new exhaust system, is this something you defo reccomend prior having a remap?

Anyone in the East Midlands area?! (Newark, Notts)

Not much point in changing the exhaust if powers what your after, will only change the 'note' for ya

Should I have too worry about standard internals with a revo map? (Revo being alot more aggressive, right?)

No. Basically when the car and engine is created, they have a certain power, and their usually detuned via software so they fall into certain tax/insurance/emissions/economy brackets that manucatures adhear to

All the maps are basically doing is setting it to a less conservative map, so you may be getting marginally higher emissions and maybe slightly less economy when driven fast (some maps do claim to improve fuel economy by virtue of you having more power there when you need it, so less effort for overtaking etc)

I still love that kick in the back!

Sounds like some kinda strange fetish!

Of all the S3s Ive driven, None have ever given me the feeling of being pushed back in the seat, Revo'd or CC'd, maybe its more psychological as your expecting there to be one after having an extra 40mules strapped to the big Germanic wagon?

no not selling up yet only had it scince january and love it, in no hurry to sell it lol, plus still waiting to spend more money and recive pars on order, 8 Hours Ago 13:48
Must have mistaken you for someone else then.. love those wheels tho.

I am very impressed with the remap and service i got at star.

Had the 40k service early
25mm drop eibach springs put on
remap by jim @ star.

Feels like a new car:racer:

wont know power figures untill the next time i go along, but the difference in 2nd 3rd 4rth is night and day. Third used to feel pretty flat, not now.

Really happy with it.

Next its getting tie bars on the rear to sort out the camber issue and new bushes due to the rose joints creeking slightly.

I would like to see dyno plots of revo vs CC. I assume that revo allows the n75 to add boost sooner in the reve range. Would be interesting to see mixture and ignition timing setting plus exhaust temps, as this plays a big part in how the engine feels. Info must be out on the web, might have a little search.
I think it comes down to individual companies ideas on what constitutes a good map. I say there can't be much in it in reality on the road, but would love to see some face offs.

have just been out for a blast down some country roads does go well now but do feel the mass air flow sensor is letting it down can sort of feel it being held back, love the way you come out of a twisty bend though the floor it wow thats quite cool,
as for the brakes everyone slates i can conferm standard s3 brakes are cack

Not being funny....but isn't it a good idea that whoever is remapping your car should change the MAF before remapping it in the first place ??

Not being funny....but isn't it a good idea that whoever is remapping your car should change the MAF before remapping it in the first place ??
why would they unless there is a problem with it before?
we went out for a before run and he said everything was ok, then once he mapped it he told me the mass air flow sensor wasnt quite reading right, took it out for 2nd run and straight away he said mass air flow was shoot, so wasnt till after the mapp it became worse, plus i work in a garage and can get the part trade price so not going to pay him retail for one

Ah right, must of been on it's way out then !
the remap just speeded up the process.....

Ah right, must of been on it's way out then !
the remap just speeded up the process.....
yep, just bout to go back to work to see if my meter is there, post up report later