Major power loss ! whats up ?

mattyboy199

Reaction score
Seems the car has begun to lose boost or power it judders under heavy throttle but when light throttle is applied its fine ish. The car is remapped & the sound of the turbo cant be heard as much as before nor is the DV when opened. I m pretty sure its a lose or split hose but i m not sure where to start, has anyone else had similar problems.

All coil packs & MAF are new within 3months.

mattyboy199 said:
All coil packs & MAF are new within 3months.

Despite these still being relatively new, I still recommend disconnecting the MAF for a drive to see what happens, as it's showing the symptoms of a knackered MAF.

Sorry to say it but in an ideal world you need to get it on Vag.com. Could be running lean maybe? However I agree with Jojo to do the MAF to eliminate that again. Also worth having a good hunt around for any splits off the DV or the N249.

im having a similar problem, got the diagnostics done which didnt show anything but going to take it to cannock VW this weekend to get it on vagcom and get it sorted through and through

when removing the MAF what should i expect ? things to be normal again or different charactistics ?

mattyboy199 said:
when removing the MAF what should i expect ? things to be normal again or different charactistics ?

It should run smoothly with out the hesitance, but running lower power, like 50BHP missing, but it should still boost a go well if it's been remapped. If it's still hesitating and pulling back, then you can replug it and look elsewhere - at least you have eliminated the MAF from your problem.

right i tried that & i dont think its the MAF, i did forget to mention that the engine management light isnt on & that the exhasut occasionally pops ! ;-(

I had a similar problem to that with a volvo 480 turbo i had a few years ago! when accelerating hard it would judder slightly and make a popping noise(misfire) revs but it wasnt constant. at slow speeds and normal acceleration it was fine, I traced it to the dump valve being replaced to an forge atmospheric DV. when it was replace back to oem(recirc) it was fine. just a thought.

Mike

Thanks Mikey,

I changed to the standard bosch DV this evening after work & it seemed to improve the whole situation although the judder is still there it picked up better than it did. I think my DV is leaking big time !

Still down on power its getting looked at tomorra fingers crossed

matt iv had a very similar problem to you and think it may be my dump valve. i have the 007p. gna get it looked at at midlands VW and hopefully be running on full steam again!

got my car checked out yesterday there was a number of fault codes listed all to do with the turbo system but it couldnt possibly be all them - all at once. Seems as though theres a pipe collaspe similar to the TIP infact its right next to it turns 180 degrees. Being replaced on tuesday thank god !