Here are some times measured with a professional accelerometer:

0-100 kmh (62 mph) -> 4.9 sec
Quarter mile -> 12.9 sec

4.9... that's mental. Bet you own the road with that

Excellent video, good launch technique too

WOW THAT IS AMAZING!!!

That's the reason i'm buying one... :)

Only one more month left!

my diesel would beat that !!! erm I think not ! if only I did less miles i'd love one of them !

Thanks guys.

The truth be told, is quite tricky to launch the S3 because of it's Haldex 4x4 system. So in order to get a decent launch you have to use medium revs (around 4k rpm) and keep the turbo loaded before dropping the clutch.

That is quick!!
I know just the road that im going to try that on.!!
Nice one aiculedtzu.
Mine wouldnt be as quick as yours but still is a good thing to know about the car just in case you meet a "chav" at the lights.
Cant wait to try it out.

Impressed with that launch aiculedtzu.. very swift indeed! :)

May have to try that on a disused, private road somewhere ;) ..

aiculedtzu said:
Thanks guys.

The truth be told, is quite tricky to launch the S3 because of it's Haldex 4x4 system. So in order to get a decent launch you have to use medium revs (around 4k rpm) and keep the turbo loaded before dropping the clutch.

Could you talk us through the launch mate, i dont want to practice it all wrong and burn out my clutch! LOL

Thanks

p

Looked prety straight forwards to me, and the sudden burst of power doesn't suggest any feeding in of the clutch.

Looks like, blip the throttle around 4krpm

drop clutch (literally!) at the point you are 'blipping' so you catch the turbo spooled

get ready to move into 2nd gear sharpish!!!!!

That's right and make sure the ESP is turned off.

Don't worry about the clutch because it is pretty resistant and it can take easily a few launches.

Again, where's the proof that was on a real road?
ESP off, which I believe is SOP for a rolling road.
I also note the gradual slowing down, which is another sign of a rolling road. (I've seen dozens of bike rolling road tests).
Please make me eat my words, by providing outside shots next time.:icon_thumright:
Even a little 1 second shot out of the window prior to the test would do.

Bowfer, surely its on a road

1. There is a definate forward motion as the clutch is dropped which is shown by the movement of the camera - there is no forward motion on a RR

2. Road vibration also picked up by the camera, if a RR vibrates that bad, it wants repairing!

3. Some slight steering movements

:) lol

If i would had an extra hand i would hold another camera to capture the road. Unfortunately i have only two :)

On the other hand here is what the accelerometer recorded. It would be hard to record the G when stationary on a roaling road :)

consilio said:
Bowfer, surely its on a road

1. There is a definate forward motion as the clutch is dropped which is shown by the movement of the camera - there is no forward motion on a RR

2. Road vibration also picked up by the camera, if a RR vibrates that bad, it wants repairing!

3. Some slight steering movements

There's always 'some' movement on a rolling road.
A 'through the gears' run like this is easily done on a RR.
This shows all the symptoms.
Flat out through the gears, followed by long slowdown to a stop.
All I'm asking for is proof.
If I were filming an outdoor acceleration test, I would undoubtedly have a quick camera shot showing the road I was going to go down.

consilio said:
Looked prety straight forwards to me, and the sudden burst of power doesn't suggest any feeding in of the clutch.

Looks like, blip the throttle around 4krpm

drop clutch (literally!) at the point you are 'blipping' so you catch the turbo spooled

get ready to move into 2nd gear sharpish!!!!!

When you say drop the clutch do you mean hold it at the bite then side step?

What about the hand brake , on or off?

Thanks

p

Handbrake is off and you don't have to hold the clutch at the bite point.

@Bowfer, you have two pics about what the accelerometer recorded. Later this day i will download all the data from it so you cand see everything (G's, acceleration times from 0 to around 200km/h, etc).

aiculedtzu said:
Handbrake is off and you don't have to hold the clutch at the bite point.

@Bowfer, you have two pics about what the accelerometer recorded. Later this day i will download all the data from it so you cand see everything (G's, acceleration times from 0 to around 200km/h, etc).

You'll have to forgive my cynicism.
I'm just suspicious of 'speedo only' films.:icon_thumright:

No problem Bowfer. Here are the acceleration times and G's recorded by the accelerometer.

s3timesjg8.jpg

s3gda2.jpg

woah
how do you squeeze 383hp out of that thing? just the exhaust,filter and chip? what octane are you running?
hardcore!

Pardon my noobness, what's the cause of the circled "jerks"?

RPM induced? clutch slipping a little?

s3gda2.jpg

Well Boggy, i really don't know.

The clutch seems perfectly ok (no slip whatsoever), maybe when i change gears and i lift a bit my foot from the accelerator i loose some boost pressure and when i put my foot down again there is as small lag while the pressure in the turbo is building up again.

@Yahyar, i use 100 octane fuel. In this case Shell V-Racing 100.

EDIT: i've just checked the G graph for my friends Alfa GT turbo diesel (150 hp) and the interruptions are still there, but smaller than in my case.

boggysv said:
Pardon my noobness, what's the cause of the circled "jerks"?

RPM induced? clutch slipping a little?

probably the drop in rev's caught by the clutch during each gear change.
clearly he's not waiting for the rev's to drop to the appropriate figure before letting go of the clutch between gears.
high revving engine catches onto the clutch giving a little jolt then it "bogs" down to in-gear acceleration

Very fast car!!

Have you had any 'encounters' with anything of the M3, EVO, STI kind that your proud of??

I can personally confirm that on a quarter mile my S3 is considerably faster than a BMW M3 E46 with 343 Bhp and much faster than a Maserati Quattroporte V8 with 400 Bhp.

Also based on the measurements with the accelerometer, with a good start theoreticly it could be faster on a quarter mile than the new BMW M3 E92 V8, but it remains to be seen when i'll get a chance.

Anyway, not bad for a family hatchback. :)

It is very fast:respekt:

How cold was it that day? and do you have the OEM 18" wheels?

I know that the OZ Ultraleggeras wheight about 4 kg less then the oems, that will be around 16 kgs all the way around, which should make the car accelerate faster. And you could save even more with 17" forged wheels.

As for the temperature, then the car should accelerate faster in cold weather.:cold: But you know that already:)

The car is stock, except what is written in my signature.

When i made the test, it was 1 degree Celsius which is a bit cold for my summer tires (factory fitted Conti SportContact 2 with standard 18" wheels).

With less fuel, around 10-15 Celsius and a set of Michelin PS2 tires, i think i can improve a bit on the quarter mile time to around 12.7-12.8 sec.

Yes you should run 12,7-12,9 on a quarter mile run.
What about the Haldex controller? It should help a bit on the acceleration. It could be interesting to see how this controller would work on the S3.

I thought the standard fuel pump and/or injectors became marginal at much over 330bhp?

The power and torque was measured with VAG COM in different stages (stock, with exhaust and air filter, with Wetterauer remap, with Superchips remap) and i posted the power graphs on this forum so if you do a search sure will find them. I don't know if this measuring method is 100% accurate but taking into account the way my S3 goes, i have no doubt that it has at least 350-360 Hp.

Regarding the Haldex Controller, that might very well be the next upgrade ;)

The fuel pump issue keeps getting brought up on here, have you experienced any fuelling problems? have you still got the stock fuel pump?

I only mentioned the fuel pump thing because other people have said it is a problem, I'd like to try and get to the actual truth of the matter and not hear just rumour/speculation. BUt I think it was one of the remap companies (revo?) that said it, and I'd tend to think they know what they are doing.

It certainly looks like a fast car, It would be interesting to get it on a reputable rolling road and see what figures it gives. Have you used a wideband lambda sensor to see what the air to fuel ratio is doing (ie make sure its not running too lean)?

There seems to be a lot of speculation,myths and rumour about these cars, it would be good to get some cold hard facts about what is required to be modified to give ( with a degree of reliabilty) the various power figures that are being quoted by various parties.

edited to add - i suspect that the problem is that the S3 is still too new and people are still experimenting to find out what works and what doesnt.

cooni said:
probably the drop in rev's caught by the clutch during each gear change.
clearly he's not waiting for the rev's to drop to the appropriate figure before letting go of the clutch between gears.
high revving engine catches onto the clutch giving a little jolt then it "bogs" down to in-gear acceleration

Isn't there some sort of damping on a standard clutch, that would explain the jolt's

J.

VAG COM is a very complex tool and you can monitor with it all the important parameters like Boost, Ignition Knock Control, Timing ******, Fuel Rail Pressure, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR), Mass Air Flow, etc, and everything looks fine, no problem whatsoever.

All sounds good, keep us posted on your progress :icon_thumright: