Remapping my S3

QuickNick

Reaction score
Got a few questions about remapping my S3, if anyone could be so kind as to respond....

1) Who did you choose? After reading the forum for a while, I'm thinking Superchips, (once, if they haven't already, sorted the flash counter) mainly because they seem more professional and their guarantee
2) What sort of performance gains have you seen?
3) What fuel economy do you get before and after. Currently I get about 19mpg and don't really want to drop too much lower than that!

Thanks for your thoughts....

I get an lifetime average of 20.1mpg on my non remapped S3 and I dont rag it everywhere, it just seems very bad in stop start traffic.

Anyway, back on topic.................

I get around 21-23 and I am quite hard on the car.

Would like a remap but the woes of enginer internals / gearbox / clutch put me off.

Dave

I get 24mpg, mainly short journeys with 30mpg fairly easy on a long run. After an initial period I would expect my mpg to remain about the same post remap as this has always been the case in the past.

I'll be using either Bluefin (who have solved the flash counter rest BTW) or GIAC just because I fancy a change, I rate both companies so in the end it will come down to price.

I can't believe my car is still standard after 6 months of ownership this is the longest I've lasted - testiment I guess to how good the S3 is as standard but remapped it would be even better, I'll get it done just when price and convenience suits.
Superchips generally offer a better discount in January so I'll post it up once confirmed, I'm also going to do some negotiating with local GIAC.

Mine was Superchipped from day 1 and mine had an average of about 24mpg when sold.

I went with superchips because they do a lot of work with VW uk which obviously gives them a slight advantage with developement, and if they can map cars for the VW cup that don't go bang then they must have something right.

DiscoPanda said:
19mpg??????

You must be ragging her about everywhere?!

Not really - round trip to work is only 12 miles, with the odd traffic light grand prix thrown in! :eyebrows:

So no real difference in mpg before and after then?

I've seen about 2-3 S3's and all of them driven like grannies behind the wheel. I'm hoping to see one that can show what it can do =)

Im getting my S3 remapped by GIAC next monday, i have had it done by superchips but not very happy with the results.

Getting some good discount for the GIAC and they also offer a money back guarantee if im not happy, but they seem pretty sure i wont be using this option

I will let you all know how both remaps differ sometime next week

consilio said:
What did you think was wrong with the Superchips map? I assume this is the Bluefin?

I'd be interested to hear that too johnny

I just found the bluefin to be very subtle, this is comparing to previous maps on previous cars, i know this post will get defended as there are many bluefin fans on here, but at the end of the day for £540 i expected to feel more of a difference.

I understand that my car maybe up on standard power thus the subtle difference of the map, but the GIAC dealer is best friends with one of my friends and is pretty certain i will get what im looking for with their map, otherwise there is a 28 day money back guarantee.

Will keep you all posted

GIAC Nick, and i know you're not that quick with all that 4wd hardware ;-)

CorkScrew said:
GIAC Nick, and i know you're not that quick with all that 4wd hardware ;-)
How very dare you! The name harks back to my biking days, before the missus decided to spoil my fun and get pregnant. Apparently, you're not allowed to have fun when you're a parent.....

Anyway, enough of the bitterness, why GIAC?

How come the new S3 has such terrible economy? This is one of the main reasons I didn't buy one.
My old S3 remapped to around 260bhp still managed to average 30mpg (27 when pushing it).

I was pretty suprised by this too coming from the old S3...I didn't think to check MPG before buying one but it was either the S3 or an R32 and I don't think there would have been a great deal of difference with that either.....my MPG is currently 20.8......that's remapped though.

Johnnyb said:
Im getting my S3 remapped by GIAC next monday, i have had it done by superchips but not very happy with the results.

Getting some good discount for the GIAC and they also offer a money back guarantee if im not happy, but they seem pretty sure i wont be using this option

I will let you all know how both remaps differ sometime next week

Looking forward to the feedback johnnyb, as I too am torn between the Bluefin and GIAC when I get my S3 sometime in March
General feedback on the bluefin seems to be good, but refined.

Update!!

I have just drove back to leeds from sheffield after having my S3 mapped by GIAC, and all i can say is its f*****g amazing, much better than superchips, the torque gain feels huge and it is more aggressive than superchips but also still nice and smooth,

Anyone considering a remap i would recommend GIAC, if your near sheffield the place is called Statller and they gave me great, friendly service, the guy is called steve and really knows his stuff.

I may have shot myself in the foot with this next question but does anyone know if my bluefin can only work on my car? or will i be able to sell it somehow? i dont want to bad mouth superchips because if your after a smooth remap then it is really good, but i just prefer the more aggressive map.

Johnnyb said:
Update!!

I have just drove back to leeds from sheffield after having my S3 mapped by GIAC, and all i can say is its f*****g amazing, much better than superchips, the torque gain feels huge and it is more aggressive than superchips but also still nice and smooth,

Anyone considering a remap i would recommend GIAC, if your near sheffield the place is called Statller and they gave me great, friendly service, the guy is called steve and really knows his stuff.

I may have shot myself in the foot with this next question but does anyone know if my bluefin can only work on my car? or will i be able to sell it somehow? i dont want to bad mouth superchips because if your after a smooth remap then it is really good, but i just prefer the more aggressive map.

Just been speaking to Steve at Sheffield, nice Guy.

Glad you're pleased with GIAC I'm opting for this complete with flashloader and stock map whenever I get a diary slot, no issue with Bluefin just fancy a change plus after last 5 cars being remapped by SC I expected a preferential discount but this has not been realised so it's time for a change.

Ref your bluefin - no it cant be transferred unless the fee is paid to SC, basically the handset is 'mated' to your cars ECU/chasis number, you can sell it and the new owner can pay the transferance fee to enable them to access the map, I think the fee is approx £185 so your selling price would need to reflect this, at the moment blufin can be bought for £509 with forum discount (15%) so if you do the math that leaves £324 but minus the usual warranty so I guess you'd get about £200. Have you tried approaching Bluefin and asking for a refund minus the transferance fee, their customer service is usually excellent, ask for Jamie Turvey the technical director and mention this forum.

Mich

Says 'Site under construction' so presume they have not finished setting the links up etc

Cheers

Lee

UPdate on the fuel economy, the car now has 1300 miles on the clock and economy is steadily improving, I am now getting ~20mpg on my commute to work whereas I was getting ~17mpg on the same commute.

Car is not remapped (yet) , just thought I'd update my view on the fuel economy thing.

Johnnyb said:
Update!!

Cheers for the update, well that has made my mind up!:icon_thumright:

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the remap, and I believe you can get a contoler for different setting, and to switch it back to the factory setting??

I work in Sheffield a couple of days a week, so would be perfect for me too

Cheers
Lee

I payed £476 or something like that, i got 10% discount because i sort of know the guy, but if you ask im sure there is a chance you will get that discount too.

The flashloader is the device that enables you to switch between maps, but steve said its a bit pointless as GIAC is probably the best when it comes to "being undetectable" so i didnt bother paying the extra 100 quid for that

It takes a few hours for him to do the remap so i just went to meadowhall just around the corner and did a bit of shopping, he drove my car before and after the map to see the difference for himself, he rather liked it which is a good sign from someone who is currently building a 700bhp porsche engine for himself.

Like i said before i would strongly recommend GIAC, and before anyone asks, i dont work for them :)

I had the pleasure of being the first in the world to get a GIAC remap for the S3!

Still loving it!

It was you that made me think about switching, so thanks for that

What other mods - if any do you have on your car Johnny ?
Do you have any figure for your car now its been remapped ?
Do you know what Steve / GIAC would do if Audi re flashed the ecu at say at a regular service ?

Cheers
Richard

I have a diverter valve fitted and did have a carbonio CAI but found that to make no difference at all and sold it.

With regards to figures, i havent had it dyno'd but the guys on here are pushing around 313ps, which is what Steve said he got from the S3's he had dyno'd, and from just driving the car i do beleive it will be around that mark.

In the unlikely event of Audi flashing the ECU, although i havent asked him im sure Steve would put the map back on for me FOC, the best thing is to just give him a call and have a chat.

Thanks for that Johnny, i'll be in touch with Steve when I get the car in March!!

Did you fit your diverter valve youself or did you get it done by someone like Awesome GTI?

Does it make any difference?

I bought it from awesome gti, then had a friend fit it as its a bit more complex than the other valves you can get, definately made a difference, it spools the turbo up quicker, i wouldnt bother with an air intake though, if your wanting to do any other mods, then buy yourself a milltek exhaust system

Thanks for that Johnny - did you say you have no before/after figures?

No havent done any figures yet, the place in sheffield that i went to yesterday said that they are getting a RR in the next few months so gonna take it down there, the car just feels superb though

Johnnyb said:
mark.

In the unlikely event of Audi flashing the ECU, although i havent asked him im sure Steve would put the map back on for me FOC, the best thing is to just give him a call and have a chat.

I asked him this question and yes it will be reflashed FOC, can also confirm he's happy to give 10% off the initial remap.

I can feel a trip up the M1 to Sheffield coming on......:yes:

Johnnyb said:
I bought it from awesome gti, then had a friend fit it as its a bit more complex than the other valves you can get, definately made a difference, it spools the turbo up quicker, i wouldnt bother with an air intake though, if your wanting to do any other mods, then buy yourself a milltek exhaust system

Do these make the turbo whistle any louder, as i wanted to keep that down with fear of sounding like one of those boy racers.:no:

L33TAY said:
Do these make the turbo whistle any louder, as i wanted to keep that down with fear of sounding like one of those boy racers.:no:

I was worried about that too, but thankfully it doesnt really alter the sound, i suppose if you really listen out for it it is slightly louder, but in no way like a boy racer car, even when i had the induction kit fitted the engine remained quiet IMO.

Anyway if Steve has said he can re-flash the ECU and also offer the 10% discount your getting a good deal there, he is probably wondering why the phone is going so much in the last few days, good business for them though:)

Thanks johnny

Will get Awesome to fit it whilst fitting the spacers and suspension, I'm sure they wouldn't charge that much.

Would this be better fitted after the remap, or would it be OK prior to remap??

sorry to keep asking questions:)

L33TAY said:
Thanks johnny

Will get Awesome to fit it whilst fitting the spacers and suspension, I'm sure they wouldn't charge that much.

Would this be better fitted after the remap, or would it be OK prior to remap??

sorry to keep asking questions:)

Its ok i dont mind,

Im pretty certain it wont make a difference if you get it fitted before or after the map, i got mine fitted after the superchips map, then obviously left it on and had it mapped by GIAC yesterday, there doesnt appear to be any apparent problems, but whether its altered the performance or not im not sure but cant really see it having an adverse effect.

What i will say is, if you get it fitted after the remap, then your gonna be able to feel the benefits of the part, so it would probably be wiser to get it fitted after if you really want to see the difference.

OK Thanks, like you suggest, I will probably wait till after it has been GIAC'd

Ta

Lee