Alpina D3 is ordered!

Someone on another forum I use has a 120D Msport with the 177bhp engine and the turbo has just gone. And a lad from the same office as him also had the turbo replaced on his 120D at 1200 miles! Said its been quite a common thing with them?!

The Reviews of the D3 are indeed 'cracking', generally referring to the engine!... but putting an Alpina badge on a BMW doesn't improve the general build quality which frankly IMHO does not come anywhere near Audi. Trim in new 3 series is on a par with Mini unlike the old 3 series (pre 2005) which was pretty good.

Nevertheless I am sure you will enjoy the D3 performance (you'll need it to catch up on the time waiting to be let out of side roads/ garages etc!!)

Cheers ;-)
:w00t:

Rick Glover said:
The Reviews of the D3 are indeed 'cracking', generally referring to the engine!...

And the handling!
I'm not overly bothered about the interior, it looked fine to me.
I just want a motor I enjoy driving again, because the past three years have been some of the dullest I've endured in 23 years and umpteen cars.
Oh, and a bit of exclusivity as well.
Our street and village is full of Audis.
I think the 'A' in A3/A4 stands for 'Abundant'.
From my living room window, I can see a TT, an A4 and an S4 avant and, horror of bohemeth abominations, a Q7...

Agree about the Q7 (bit like an X5!!). Perhaps we should start a sticky about what the D stands for in D3! Dull? (maybe not!)

Maybe our Audis have been different from yours, all manual, quattros, A3, A3 Sportbacks, A4 Cab 3.0, A6 Avant, TT on way, they have all performed well and for now BM's do not do it!

Good Luck anyway!! Bet you will miss the banter on the D3 blog.

TT

R

consilio said:
Rubbish cars sell like hot cakes obviously

I've never liked being a sheep.
Sheep botherer, maybe, but not a sheep.
I don't like it when a car I own becomes common as muck.
Which is why I like Alfas and why an Alpina appealed more than a normal 320D.

Rick Glover said:
The Reviews of the D3 are indeed 'cracking', generally referring to the engine!... but putting an Alpina badge on a BMW doesn't improve the general build quality which frankly IMHO does not come anywhere near Audi. Trim in new 3 series is on a par with Mini unlike the old 3 series (pre 2005) which was pretty good.

Nevertheless I am sure you will enjoy the D3 performance (you'll need it to catch up on the time waiting to be let out of side roads/ garages etc!!)

Cheers ;-)
:w00t:

Agree with the comments about the MCS, mine was awful and I couldn;t wait to get rid of it.

But I disagree that BMW's are worse built than Audis! I've run my coupe for 9 months and not had one single problem with it and thats in 26K miles. I can't say the same for my A3 prior to that.

And the service from BMW is much, much better than I ever received in the 2 years I owned my A3.

I've not had any problems with being let out of side roads, garages or changing lanes etc. Seems like most people with prejudices against Beemers are sat safely behind their keyboards ;-)

J.

marriedblonde said:
Agree with the comments about the MCS, mine was awful and I couldn;t wait to get rid of it.

So you wouldn't recommend one for the missus, MB?
She's adamant she wants one (it would be a diesel).
They are horrendous money though, they really are.
I know they hold their value, but ****** hell!

I know the new ones are better but no I wouldn't. My Aunt had one and they had to get rid of it as their 2 kids where constantly car sick in the back of it.

Just make sure you get an extended test drive if your good lady is insistant!

Yup, you're looking at a good £17k for a decent spec diesel Mini.
Scary, for what amounts to a second-car runabout that sits on the drive all weekend.
As for a used one.
No ta, I like warranties!

Agree with you about Alfa's ... they have style so why didn't you get one instead instead of a D3, of course if you like Alfa styling (as we do) you could always buy an Audi! The Alfa Chief Designer now works for Audi I believe!!

Interesting comment about sideroads, I have a mate with a TT and a BM 330Ci Convertible (05 reg) and even he agrees... he prefers BM handling too!!:salute:

marriedblonde said:
But I disagree that BMW's are worse built than Audis! I've run my coupe for 9 months and not had one single problem with it and thats in 26K miles.

I have to disagree based on my recent experiences with a couple of BMW's - the 3 series is crap inside compared to the Audi - lots of cheaper feeling plastics around, less solid switchgear, lots of squeaks and rattles. Both 3 series BMW's in our pool had to have all interior door handles replaced due to the rubber like costing peeling off within 3 months - both are showing signs of this happening again.

The 320D just popped it's turbo in the last week which is not uncommon from what I am hearing.

Am sure every make have their bad eggs but generally the Audi's interior and build is way ahead of the latest BMW's.

I sold my BMW 330D sport (52 reg) 3 months ago as I had enough problems with the car. mileage was about 60000 miles but the quality of leather used on seats and steering wheel horrible scratched, worn, cracking.....did I mention I had RUST in 4 pleaces? Plastic headlights covers become cracked just like that. And as I use to be a member of BMWland i had enough reading about:
1. turbos blowing up in 320d every week there was somebody on the
forum with blown turbo
2. cracking plastic manifolds (330d, 320d) which ended with engine swallowing metal flaps what caused total engine + turbo + many other things failure and £8k bill for replacing the whole engine and other parts.
Apparently it's quite common on BMW diesel as I've checked that on some foreign BMW forums. It comes without any warning at all, car is going OK low speed than BANG. As far as I`m aware the lowest mileage when it happend was 37k miles.
3. rust under door sills, bonnet etc.
4. auto gearbox failing at about 60k miles

I`am not saying that audi is faultless but BMW is not any better and in my opinion Audi are better built cars

bowfer said:
Yup, you're looking at a good £17k for a decent spec diesel Mini.
Scary, for what amounts to a second-car runabout that sits on the drive all weekend.
As for a used one.
No ta, I like warranties!

Not had any problems with my last two MCS's to be honest. Just a leaking engine mount on the first one.

They are expensive to buy but they hold their value to the extent that they are cheaper than running an eqivalent ford, vauxhall etc.

Oh............................and they're major fun especially in JCW guise.

Rick Glover said:
Agree with you about Alfa's ... they have style so why didn't you get one instead instead of a D3,

I was very, very close to ordering a 2.2 diesel 159, in the absolutely ****** gorgeous Ti spec.
It was only the lack of a local dealer that went against them.
Nearest one is in Perth, some 90 miles away.
I also had a little devil on my shoulder saying I fancied RWD drive again.
I'm an old RS2000 driver at heart, I'm happy on opposite lock.

bowfer said:
I was very, very close to ordering a 2.2 diesel 159, in the absolutely ****** gorgeous Ti spec.
It was only the lack of a local dealer that went against them.
Nearest one is in Perth, some 90 miles away.
I also had a little devil on my shoulder saying I fancied RWD drive again.
I'm an old RS2000 driver at heart, I'm happy on opposite lock.

Yep an Alfa 159ti is also on my shortlist along with the new Merc C Class Sport. The one downside with the Alfa is that the Co2 is on the high side for a diesel

kanievsky said:
I sold my BMW 330D sport (52 reg) 3 months ago as I had enough problems with the car. mileage was about 60000 miles but the quality of leather used on seats and steering wheel horrible scratched, worn, cracking.....did I mention I had RUST in 4 pleaces? Plastic headlights covers become cracked just like that. And as I use to be a member of BMWland i had enough reading about:
1. turbos blowing up in 320d every week there was somebody on the
forum with blown turbo
2. cracking plastic manifolds (330d, 320d) which ended with engine swallowing metal flaps what caused total engine + turbo + many other things failure and £8k bill for replacing the whole engine and other parts.
Apparently it's quite common on BMW diesel as I've checked that on some foreign BMW forums. It comes without any warning at all, car is going OK low speed than BANG. As far as I`m aware the lowest mileage when it happend was 37k miles.
3. rust under door sills, bonnet etc.
4. auto gearbox failing at about 60k miles

I`am not saying that audi is faultless but BMW is not any better and in my opinion Audi are better built cars
I was thinking of trying the 120D Coupe as a possible alternative to the A3 when I change next year, as it's a car I really like the look of.

But reading your post, would make me nervous of switching !

garypaul said:
Yep an Alfa 159ti is also on my shortlist along with the new Merc C Class Sport. The one downside with the Alfa is that the Co2 is on the high side for a diesel

Yeah, it's a shame they aren't offering the 1.9 diesel in Ti spec, yet.
They deliberately only offer it with the 2.2 because the 1.9 is already outselling the 2.2 by a big margin, so they're trying to push the 2.2
I think it's inevitable they'll offer the 1.9 in Ti spec though, as that's the engine most company buyers will want.
I didn't even look at the Merc, I don't really have a good reason why I didn't!
I just sort of 'forgot'!

mfspen said:
But reading your post, would make me nervous of switching !

But you could say the same about stories on here.
Massive oil consumption, porous cylinder heads, dodgy DPF's blablabla.

bowfer said:
Yeah, it's a shame they aren't offering the 1.9 diesel in Ti spec, yet.
They deliberately only offer it with the 2.2 because the 1.9 is already outselling the 2.2 by a big margin, so they're trying to push the 2.2
I think it's inevitable they'll offer the 1.9 in Ti spec though, as that's the engine most company buyers will want.
I didn't even look at the Merc, I don't really have a good reason why I didn't!
I just sort of 'forgot'!

I had a quick look in the Merc dealers at weekend and have to admit the sport version did look rather smart, plus they were more than happy to offer me a test drive whereas some dealers get a bit funny because it will be a fleet car and may not be sourced from them......

garypaul said:
I had a quick look in the Merc dealers at weekend and have to admit the sport version did look rather smart, plus they were more than happy to offer me a test drive whereas some dealers get a bit funny because it will be a fleet car and may not be sourced from them......

I never let on it's going to be a company car.
If they ask, I just say I'm thinking of opting out and buying my own.
In the case of the D3, BMW's own lease figures were as good as anyone's, so the same dealer got the business.
I have suffered from the instant disinterest dealers adopt when you say it'll be a company car though.
It's the sort of face I would adopt if I were opening the bedroom door to Kylie, only for her to tell me the 'painters were in'...

I like the Alfas but no local dealer plus I would of wanted a 1.9 Ti which like you say they dont do at the moment!

Matt said:
I like the Alfas but no local dealer plus I would of wanted a 1.9 Ti which like you say they dont do at the moment!

I'll text my Alfa salesman mate and see if he's heard when they're offering the 1.9 in Ti spec.
I've taken my eye off the Alfa ball since plumping for the D3.

It's the sort of face I would adopt if I were opening the bedroom door to Kylie, only for her to tell me the 'painters were in'...

Lol, in your dreams though.

So Bowfer you are into old Fords. Great motor the RS2000. If you like Fords maybe you should have gone for a Volvo... keeping up the spirit of recent postings they like BMs seem to have regular broken indicators too!!

Cheers

RG:hubbahubba:

marriedblonde said:

But I disagree that BMW's are worse built than Audis! I've run my coupe for 9 months and not had one single problem with it and thats in 26K miles. I can't say the same for my A3 prior to that.

And the service from BMW is much, much better than I ever received in the 2 years I owned my A3.

I've not had any problems with being let out of side roads, garages or changing lanes etc. Seems like most people with prejudices against Beemers are sat safely behind their keyboards ;-)

J.

Im new to the forum and im awaiting a new S3. At the moment i have a mini cooper s and got to say its an amazing car and feels very solid compared to the a3tdi i had before.
Here are some pics
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/lucachiarelli/003-2.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/lucachiarelli/002-2.jpg

I have beaten 2 s3's on a nice country road strech. This cooper s is at 240bhp with porsche turbo brakes and eibach suspension mods. The reason for buying an s3 is for comfort aswell as power. I think my mini is quicker than an stock s3 but im going to up the power on my s3 when i get it.

Just proves we are all different and have different opinions on what constitutes being well made etc :)

Mine was a 2003 model which was supposed to be better built than the earlier ones used to squeak and rattle. I was like there was a big box of little mice in there. Also going for a fast blast down some b lanes bits of trim would just pop off...

J.

marriedblonde said:
Just proves we are all different and have different opinions on what constitutes being well made etc :)

Mine was a 2003 model which was supposed to be better built than the earlier ones used to squeak and rattle. I was like there was a big box of little mice in there. Also going for a fast blast down some b lanes bits of trim would just pop off...

J.

There were quite a few problems with the older ones. Mines an 06. Nothing fallen off yet lol. They made quite a few changes to the gearboxes supercharger and other parts to make the car easier to live with after mid 2004. Apparently the new r56 is a better everyday drivers car but not as fun as the supercharged r53.:icon_thumright:

luca1 said:
Im new to the forum and im awaiting a new S3. At the moment i have a mini cooper s and got to say its an amazing car and feels very solid compared to the a3tdi i had before.
Here are some pics
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/lucachiarelli/003-2.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/lucachiarelli/002-2.jpg

I have beaten 2 s3's on a nice country road strech. This cooper s is at 240bhp with porsche turbo brakes and eibach suspension mods. The reason for buying an s3 is for comfort aswell as power. I think my mini is quicker than an stock s3 but im going to up the power on my s3 when i get it.

Noticed the GTT badge snap
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff84/dipstic2007/new_pic9a.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff84/dipstic2007/marchrun3a.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff84/dipstic2007/IMG_0196a.jpg

luca1 said:
There were quite a few problems with the older ones. Mines an 06. Nothing fallen off yet lol. They made quite a few changes to the gearboxes supercharger and other parts to make the car easier to live with after mid 2004. Apparently the new r56 is a better everyday drivers car but not as fun as the supercharged r53.:icon_thumright:

Had both and the R56 is softer riding and far better for it. Much more front end grip and more nimble / adjustable. Better built and very rapid.

It's so annoying that a Mini S is faster =( maybe i'm just a sore loser lol. It does seem like a much much more fun drive though.

If I never had to think about the rest of the family, I woulda gone for that bad boy

luca1 said:
Your car looks very nice mate. Which gtt package do you have. I think gtt is one of the best and most professional mini tuners out there.:respekt:

The hyper blue one was around the 230bhp mark,eibach springs/rollbars/works brakes,Roland at GTT is a good guy,the red/white was a Works upgrade 210bhp +Works brakes/suspension all done at John Cooper in Sussex both minis were late 04 (facelift version) only issue with both was dash rattles cured after a few trips to the dealers.Comparsion between the two the Works was a bit smoother through the rev range the GTT a bit faster and a lot cheaper,still miss the supercharger whine,both would give the S3 a good run,but not with the same comfort.

emzino said:
It's so annoying that a Mini S is faster =( maybe i'm just a sore loser lol. It does seem like a much much more fun drive though.

If I never had to think about the rest of the family, I woulda gone for that bad boy

Apparently the R56 JCW is doing 0-100 in less than 15 secs. With slight tweaks they're running 1/4 mile in low 14's at 98-100mph.

Out of interest anyone know the S3's stats on this ?. I would guess a tad quicker, but not much !.

No offence to anyone, but, quick or not, I just don't 'get' the Mini thing.
I mean, I can see why my missus wants one (fashion), but that's as far as it goes.
I'll admit I haven't driven one, but I've no real desire to either, even if certain examples of them would rocket past my D3!
TBH, it's probably just the fact they're so common, rather than any failings on their part.
There's nothing puts me off a car more than seeing loads of them.
Part of the reason I'm ditching Audi, they're far too common up here.
I know the 3 series allegedly outsells the Mondeo but, believe it or not, 3-series really aren't that common up here.
You see basic ones, with little wee pram wheels, but you rarely see nice ones.

From memory the autocar figures for S3 were :

0-100 13.6
1/4 mile 13.9 @ 103 or so

bowfer said:
No offence to anyone, but, quick or not, I just don't 'get' the Mini thing.
I mean, I can see why my missus wants one (fashion), but that's as far as it goes.
I'll admit I haven't driven one, but I've no real desire to either, even if certain examples of them would rocket past my D3!
TBH, it's probably just the fact they're so common, rather than any failings on their part.
There's nothing puts me off a car more than seeing loads of them.
Part of the reason I'm ditching Audi, they're far too common up here.
I know the 3 series allegedly outsells the Mondeo but, believe it or not, 3-series really aren't that common up here.
You see basic ones, with little wee pram wheels, but you rarely see nice ones.

No offence taken.

I've never been a fan of larger than A3 size cars. I don't need the space and they don't handle......period.

Mini's are common...........especially in Aberdeen that sells more than any other area, but try and find two the same, that's the MINI appeal. It's also not about speed in a straight line either, they're FAF on the twisties.

Let me drive your D3 when it arrives and you can have a shot of mine :)