Finally bit the bullet and got the remap but..

interesting!!!!!

HTC: is that being used in place of a FMIC with your IHI conversion? does it cool just as well as a FMIC?

looking at it, its so thick, that its probably just the same volume as a normal sized fmic.

Is that a map sensor i see bolted onto the top of the tank?

Uau great!

HTC, what IHI do you have ? The VF34 ? Does it fit directly on the 1.8T ?

I found one IHI at a great price on ebay, the only doubt is if some conversion must be performed to fit the IHI on the 1.8T ?

is that being used in place of a FMIC with your IHI conversion? does it cool just as well as a FMIC?

looking at it, its so thick, that its probably just the same volume as a normal sized fmic.

That is the plan. I researched a few SMICs from the states. It was either this one or the Tyrolsport item, but I worked out the tyrolsport might be too tall to fit under the A3 bumber. I've studied the manufacturer's logs and claims, and thought I'd give it a go. If its not up for the task then I'll swap for a FMIC, so far so good. Maybe I run a few of my own logs.
The IC has a provision for the MAP sensor, Obviously my car doesn't use one, so I blocked it off with a peice of steel cut to size. Its black because I painted it.

HTC, what IHI do you have ? The VF34 ? Does it fit directly on the 1.8T ?

I found one IHI at a great price on ebay, the only doubt is if some conversion must be performed to fit the IHI on the 1.8T ?

Yes, its a VF34, but no it isn't a straight fit. The turbo compressor housing has to be unbolted and then twisted round (clocking). If you fitted the standard unit to an A3 the compressor outlet would point towards the block. Its easy to do yourself, just undo a few bolts and rotate the housing. No balancing required as you don't touch the CHRA.

Also a new manifold, injectors, TIP, compressor outlet pipes, downpipe, coolant and oil lines are required. I have a JBS kit, which has the advantage of retaining the OEM oil lines. The manifold is designed to position the charger in the OEM location for this purpose.

Kit isn't fitted yet as I'm waiting for a couple more silicone bends from Forge. Should be up and running soon......I hope.

JBS_IHI_KIT_600x450.jpg

Software will be via Jabbasport or CC....can't quite decide which at the moment.

It'll look something like this when fitted.

JBS_IHI_KIT_FITTED_600x450.jpg

I'm really interested on the IC, the price is good and if it does
what they say it's a very interesting add on to the car.

Lets see what we can do, can be the second item to buy!

HTC said:
Yes, its a VF34, but no it isn't a straight fit. The turbo compressor housing has to be unbolted and then twisted round (clocking). If you fitted the standard unit to an A3 the compressor outlet would point towards the block. Its easy to do yourself, just undo a few bolts and rotate the housing. No balancing required as you don't touch the CHRA.

Also a new manifold, injectors, TIP, compressor outlet pipes, downpipe, coolant and oil lines are required. I have a JBS kit, which has the advantage of retaining the OEM oil lines. The manifold is designed to position the charger in the OEM location for this purpose.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevin.yeoman/JBS_IHI_KIT_FITTED_600x450.jpg

HTC one question regarding this issue, have you bought the turbo from JBS ? Or you bought them elsewhere and made the modification that you mentioned on the previous post ?

How about the internals, will they handle this kind of power ? At what rpm should we have full boost ?

The turbo was from ebay. Its a second hand Jabbasport item. Its was pre clocked before I received it, but I've performed the same task on a friends VF34 with no problem. You can get them new from Japan for £450 ish, or do what I did and keep and eye on the classifieds.
The VF34 is originally from a Subaru, so search their forums also.

The internals will be fine with good quality custom ECU software. Full boost on this turbo is likely to be around 3500-3700rpm.

Well finally got it sorted.

Booked in at Storm next tuesday, get the car back thrusday and robert is your fathers brother!

Bring it on!!!