To ABT or not ABT???

mattandrew said:
Fiitted mine early this week - purchased from petewon

Now all ive got to to is get my lower spoiler painted and fitted

Lookin' Good amigo, Welcome to the ABT club! :respekt:

mattandrew said:

Cheers, I'll try the German Ebayer 1st as the price is much better than £160 + p&p.

Just about to place an order for one of these ABT grills from Germany. I have a question before I purchase it for those who have already installed their grills. Is the modification reversable without having to respray the front bumper? I would like it to be reversable so the car can be put back to standard at the time of selling incase the purchaser does not like the grill.

Cheers in advance for any info.

as far as i know bonder is used to attach the grill to the bumper - this shouldnt do any damage to the paint as long as you are very carefull when removing

removing it though will be tricky and you MIGHT have to useda sharpe object therefore uping the risk of damage - petrol is good enough though to help loosen the bonder

Boydie said:
as far as i know bonder is used to attach the grill to the bumper - this shouldnt do any damage to the paint as long as you are very carefull when removing

removing it though will be tricky and you MIGHT have to useda sharpe object therefore uping the risk of damage - petrol is good enough though to help loosen the bonder

Cheers for the info, could silicon be used instead of the bonder because it looks like the number plate will be attatched on top of the grill so there would be no chance of it coming off? IIRC to get the bonder to bond you need to sand the finish of the paint to provide a key?

Did you manage to contact germany and get them to supply one?

As Boydie says yes bonder is used, the more bonder used the better the fit. Some bonders can be strong so may take a bit of getting off, but if you are careful you will be ok. It does mention to rough up the paint with sand paper to provide a better key for the bonder but should be ok with out.

It may be better to use silicone sealer as it will clean off better.

When fitting (also mention in instructions) you may need to trim a mm of the top edge so it fits closer to the top edge and creates less of a gap at the side, (you will see what i mean when you come to fit it)

mattandrew said:
Did you manage to contact germany and get them to supply one?

As Boydie says yes bonder is used, the more bonder used the better the fit. Some bonders can be strong so may take a bit of getting off, but if you are careful you will be ok. It does mention to rough up the paint with sand paper to provide a better key for the bonder but should be ok with out.

It may be better to use silicone sealer as it will clean off better.

When fitting (also mention in instructions) you may need to trim a mm of the top edge so it fits closer to the top edge and creates less of a gap at the side, (you will see what i mean when you come to fit it)

Cheers for th info, yes I contacted Germany but had to sommunicate in German as they did'nt reply to me when I emailed them in English. 25E delivery which makes it still a lot cheaper than the UK price. Do the instructions come in English or will I need to translate them? I may ask specifically if they can supply English instructions. Did you bond your grill?

Cheers for th info, yes I contacted Germany but had to sommunicate in German as they did'nt reply to me when I emailed them in English. 25E delivery which makes it still a lot cheaper than the UK price. Do the instructions come in English or will I need to translate them? I may ask specifically if they can supply English instructions. Did you bond your grill?

How much did you pay for the grill in the end inc postage

Yes instructions are in english - and very good, I did bond using the supplied bonder, it was a cold day so warmed the bonder tube in warm water to make more supple. I then used double sided sticky tape to attach the number plate.

I dealt with Frank and Diana at ABT when I bought mine for my last A3. Both responded quickly and had excellent english.

My panel cost me 188 euro including shipping and payment was made by bank transfer.

I was initially thinking of attaching it with silicon and a couple of screws through the number plate holder for additional support, but then I realised I wouldn't want to remove it when changing the car as I'd be buying a new A3 in Jan 07 and it would have the new grille anyway, so I used practically the whole tube of supplied bonded and the screws to hold the number plate surround on.

The guy who bought the ABT-ed A3 from me was delighted that it was fitted as it made his car look that bit newer.

And sure, for the sake of 188 euro you could always buy another one if your next A3 didn't have the new nose. At today's exchange rate that is STG£132-ish.

I priced it with Awesome at the time and it was much more expensive.

sat1983 said:
This mod from hofele seems a ****** good one for pre facelift cars out there! No need for new bonnet etc! + S3 looks
http://www.hofele.com/design/de/Audi_A3/audi_a3_8p_vor_fl_karosserie_s3_look.html
Looks pretty good, although in addition to the bumper, you also need to purchase the S3 grille, the badge and the headlight cleaner cap (if fitted). The total comes to just under 1000 euro, then you need to get it painted after that.

The ABT mod is cheap and cheerful, and the easiest way to give your car the facelift appearance.

mattandrew said:
How much did you pay for the grill in the end inc postage

Yes instructions are in english - and very good, I did bond using the supplied bonder, it was a cold day so warmed the bonder tube in warm water to make more supple. I then used double sided sticky tape to attach the number plate.

Have agreed a price of 99 euros + 25 euros postage. The ebay auction has ended now though :( so I'm trying to get clarification if they will still honour the price and how to transfer the money if they will?

My ABT grill arrived this week and I'm hoping to fit it this weekend, have any of you guys who have already done this got any tips for me?, I really want to get the best fit I can.

I'm thinking of purchasing this ABT Front Panel for my 04 A3 3.2 Quattro DSG S-Line - Anyone got any pictures of the panel up close and personal? I'd like to see some pictures from a side on view if anyone has any - just to get an idea of how far the panel is raised from the bumper...

Also, if anyone has purchased this part and not yet fitted it and is interested in selling it on I'd be interested in purchasing!

I think the £200+ (inc delivery) I've been quoted is a little steep for what is essentially a stick on piece of plastic!

Hi guys!

I am getting my first audi a3 tonight and I really want to do the grill conversion. Looking at mattandrew's this looks like the cheapest and best option for me. Any idea where I can pick one up from? I knwo about ABT but anywhere else?

im maybe a few too many years late but looking for one of these grills, any info guys?