ECS fault since fitting dedication towbar wiring kit

Stickystuff

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I wonder if anyone is able to offer some advice on the correct coding. When I first plugged it in it had a host of fault codes in a few modules but the battery had been disconnected so I deleted them and only a few came back.

I told the car that there is a towbar module fitted and managed to get all fault codes in all the modules to go except the faults in the engine ECU. Which is odd that it’s throwing up an ECS fault and displaying the traction control light not the engine light.

Fault codes are 4327, 4698 and 4699. All saying function restriction due to faults in other modules. Now when I look it says that the ABS module has fault 01044 control module incorrectly coded. But I haven’t touched the ABS module.

In my ECS instruction manual it suggests that I only need to code the engine ECU to increase fan capacity when towing but otherwise that’s it. It doesn’t suggest that I need to tell the car it’s got a towbar module. I’ve only done that from watching a video on YouTube but for an A6 and the guy told the car it had the module.

Can anyone help? Or am I in the wrong section?

Attachments

• IMG_2141.jpeg
    IMG_2141.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 210
Checked again and it shows the same 3 faults in the engine but no faults in the abs

Attachments

• IMG_2142.jpeg
    IMG_2142.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 45
You have to tell numerous modules it has a towbar fitted, that's why it says incorrectly coded.

Do you know how to do that?

I went into canbus and added the towbar. I thought that by telling the central system it would tell the other modules it has a towbar…

Amazing thank you! Will give it a go! Might have to wait with Christmas and all but will certainly give it a go on Boxing Day. Or I’ll sneak out tomorrow to be cheeky and spend some time on it. Thank you

I've registered to the Ross tech forum, I wouldn't have a clue on what coding I will need for my modules and I don't want to put the wrong code in and screw it up.

I know it always suggest to take note of the original coding. But B8 has module 44 and I have a B8.5, I just need to be patient.

All the lights work and the indicator light on the dash shows that the trailer is connected when indicating, it just doesn't turn the parking sensors off, and they are factory fitted.

Thank you for your help on this :) Merry Christmas

I've registered to the Ross tech forum, I wouldn't have a clue on what coding I will need for my modules and I don't want to put the wrong code in and screw it up.

I know it always suggest to take note of the original coding. But B8 has module 44 and I have a B8.5, I just need to be patient.

All the lights work and the indicator light on the dash shows that the trailer is connected when indicating, it just doesn't turn the parking sensors off, and they are factory fitted.

Thank you for your help on this :) Merry Christmas

You should get rear parking sensors disabled and a trailer displayed on the MMI instead of the usual distance lines.

Ross Tech wiki is free to browse a d you don’t need an account. It should have all the info you need.

Top level for the B8 (8K in Audi ID language)
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Audi_A4/S4/RS4_(8K)

How to code parking sensors for tow hitch:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Audi_Q7_(4L)_Back-Up_Camera
c10ff3fad8a2b8a366a80fb908575ad5.jpg

The ? illustrates which number in the code you are changing, you then start at 0 and add the numbers for the options you have. So in this example you will be changing the 3rd digit to:
“0” for audio parking sensors ONLY
“1” for audio parking sensors and a tow bar
“2” for parking sensors that display on the MMI
“3” for parking sensors that display on the MMI and a tow bar

Make a note of what the code started as, the worst thing that can happen is it throws a bunch of DTCs as you put in the wrong code and you change it back or try again.

Most coding tools have this advice built in (VCDS, OBDeleven, unsure about Carly) so coding is pretty easy!

Last edited:
I'm using VCDS registered on a HEX V2 plug and cable.

I only have a basic sounds system so it won't display the car or trailer in the screen unfortunately. Unless you know a way of activating this?

In the above coding what section do I go to change that as in what module?? I looked at the link and it doesn't show the instructions as available for the A4 8K. It shows them there when I hover my curser over it I can't click on it.

Whenever I look on any YouTube videos when people go onto the 'long coding' sections it shows the code in separate sections in block of 2 usually but I cannot see that for my car unless I am looking in the wrong place :blink:

Managed to get it resolved, I think I will do a little more searching now I know roughly what I am looking for, the only thing is a user gave me the code for the ABS module. This isn't something that showed so not sure how they knew that. But the engine and central module is all easily solved on the long coding helper once I realised how to use it. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction OliNix :thumbs up:

Reactions: OliNix