Does the S3 exhaust start popping when it’s got a few k miles on?

Jason1987

Reaction score
As I don’t think I’ve heard mine pop at all yet but hearing S3’s on YouTube they pop quite a bit. Obviously not as much as the pre opf 8vs

My exhaust has been popping quite a bit, as long as I keep the car in S, or the revs above 3k. It has improved over the last two thousand kilometers for sure.

My exhaust has been popping quite a bit, as long as I keep the car in S, or the revs above 3k. It has improved over the last two thousand kilometers for sure.
I thought the popping was just the cabin fed acoustics (through the speakers), and not the actual exhaust ??

I thought the popping was just the cabin fed acoustics (through the speakers), and not the actual exhaust ??
Apparently called Soundaktor (German for "sound actuator"), and can be controlled through the drive select settings in the mmi, the engine sound depends on the drive select mode, but is most obtrusive in dynamic mode with 'S' selected. It can be set manually in the individual mode (Engine Sound setting). Page 116 of the manual refers.

And there isn’t a way to make the car start with the exhaust valves open is there? As the car resets the drive select each time you turn car off? Even in my individual mode where I have exhaust on loudest, I have to re press the drive select each time I get in the car to open the valves up again. Really annoying how it resets, I can understand it needing the gearbox in a certain mode from cold starts so setting that back to D but why does it have to reset all of the drive select?

And there isn’t a way to make the car start with the exhaust valves open is there? As the car resets the drive select each time you turn car off? Even in my individual mode where I have exhaust on loudest, I have to re press the drive select each time I get in the car to open the valves up again. Really annoying how it resets, I can understand it needing the gearbox in a certain mode from cold starts so setting that back to D but why does it have to reset all of the drive select?

No they default to normal operation at each start up.

Buy a ASR valve controller that will keep them open, I’ve one on my RS3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does “auto” mode open the valves itself at all at any points when you drive? as it’s meant to change depending on how you drive? It’s annoying having to do all these things each time i get in the car, stop start off, re press drive select etc lol

I've definitely heard some real pops from the tailpipes, after lift-off/overrun at highish revs in S mode. It also does fake ones, which are bassier.
Mileage is around 20k.
The combination sounds really good.

Reactions: vatdim
Oh I didn’t know it does fake pops? Thought it was just the engine sound that was fake

I noticed tonight if I change gear at 3k I get a bass thud on the shift, is that just the fake sound then?
Its a bit of both - on the previous generation it was all real. But what with emissions standards etc that real sound is muffled and then the "sound actuator" blends in with it.

To be honest I don't mind it at all. It doesn't really sound fake and most people wouldn't be able to tell there is some fake sound there. But it is different to the 8V generation.

Its a bit of both - on the previous generation it was all real. But what with emissions standards etc that real sound is muffled and then the "sound actuator" blends in with it.

To be honest I don't mind it at all. It doesn't really sound fake and most people wouldn't be able to tell there is some fake sound there. But it is different to the 8V generation.
I need to have all windows open and listen to see if it comes from outside the car on shifts lol