Manual mode shift speeds

Jason1987

Reaction score
Does the S3 manual mode shift speed depend on how you are driving/throttle? As when I’m driving normally the shifts seem slow and lazy. On bmw m cars you can choose how quick the shifts are so I assumed the s3 was set to max all the time as you don’t get that option but it doesn’t shift quick usually

Driving in Dynamic may speed the shifts (or more accurately make the auto shift levels more aggressive) but there isn't any other control over it. I think the S Tronic gearbox is one of the best out there, the changes are always smooth and I don't normally even notice them unless putting my foot down - I wouldn't describe it as "slow and lazy".

Maybe when you are full throttle it shifts quicker and when you are slowly accelerating it shifts slower, would make sense I suppose as better for the gearbox

Maybe when you are full throttle it shifts quicker and when you are slowly accelerating it shifts slower, would make sense I suppose as better for the gearbox
Have you put it in Sport mode before switching to manual because you can have the paddles in normal drive mode or S mode

Yeh I’m sure I tried it in dynamic, sport and then manual as I know if you just select manual in d it goes back to d again after a few seconds

Also I had it in 7th gear the other day but my speed dropped quite low to around 40-50mph and the revs were bouncing up and down as if clutch is slipping on and off, is that what it does when the speed is too low for the gear in manual? I thought it would drop down itself when this happens?

Also I had it in 7th gear the other day but my speed dropped quite low to around 40-50mph and the revs were bouncing up and down as if clutch is slipping on and off, is that what it does when the speed is too low for the gear in manual? I thought it would drop down itself when this happens?
Well it will eventually if you don't do anything about it, but surely you would have downshifted which is why you had it in manual in the first place - You wouldn't drive a manual gearbox at 40mph in 6th gear

Well it will eventually if you don't do anything about it, but surely you would have downshifted which is why you had it in manual in the first place - You wouldn't drive a manual gearbox at 40mph in 6th gear
No I would have shifted down, it just surpised me when it started doing what it was doing as manual mode normally acts like an auto still and down shifts if you are going to slow for the gear.

No I would have shifted down, it just surpised me when it started doing what it was doing as manual mode normally acts like an auto still and down shifts if you are going to slow for the gear.
Well it wouldn't shift immediately because you put it in manual mode if it changed straightaway then it wouldn't really be a manual mode - If it was going to cause damage I would expect it to takeover or if you don't do anything but like I say it takes a little while for it to transfer back to Auto mode

And going back to the shift speeds, I tried it yesterday in dynamic and the shifts took about a second, maybe I’m just expecting it to be quicker than it is?

And going back to the shift speeds, I tried it yesterday in dynamic and the shifts took about a second, maybe I’m just expecting it to be quicker than it is?
Possibly you’re expecting too much

You really need to start to enjoy your car as it’s like you’re looking for issues

Reactions: tomascott
Possibly you’re expecting too much

You really need to start to enjoy your car as it’s like you’re looking for issues
Oh I don’t think this is an issue, just wondered if the shifts are dependant on how you are driving or if engine is fully warmed up etc as they change at different speeds

I've noticed in basic A3 if you want the maximum performance, better keep the gearbox in S auto mode and let the car shift when it's optimal. If you do manual shifts, there's usually lag in gear changes, the car seems to need a short moment to think "oh you want to shift now, ok let's do this". I usually use manual shifting only when I want to keep the specific gear, and there's rarely need for that. I know that's boring in a way, when it's sportiness what you're after when you shift manually.

Would be interesting to know what's the RS3 like. But I wouldn't compare Audi S cars to BMW M cars, but maybe to the regular models with the additional M.

Reactions: AdamInKent
I've noticed in basic A3 if you want the maximum performance, better keep the gearbox in S auto mode and let the car shift when it's optimal. If you do manual shifts, there's usually lag in gear changes, the car seems to need a short moment to think "oh you want to shift now, ok let's do this". I usually use manual shifting only when I want to keep the specific gear, and there's rarely need for that. I know that's boring in a way, when it's sportiness what you're after when you shift manually.

Would be interesting to know what's the RS3 like. But I wouldn't compare Audi S cars to BMW M cars, but maybe to the regular models with the additional M.
I was going to say, does the s3 not shift as quick as say the bmw m4? As that’s an older car now and that shifts pretty quick

Lol why would people pay the M car prices, if S3 was doing all the same tricks?

Lol why would people pay the M car prices, if S3 was doing all the same tricks?
lol well s3 is same 0-60 as an m4, and as both are dct I thought they’d be similar as doesn’t rs3 have the same gearbox as s3?

lol well s3 is same 0-60 as an m4, and as both are dct I thought they’d be similar as doesn’t rs3 have the same gearbox as s3?
That's true - but ultimately they are different gearboxes. Perhaps it's due to Quattro whereas all but the newest M-series are RWD... either way just enjoy the car!

@Jason1987 You are comparing an entry-level hot hatch to actual sportscar, and also if that's what you want to really do, at least compare the 8V S3 to the previous gen M4. The current gen M4 is again something else, and BMW even reverted back to traditional automatic gearbox in, whilst stepping the performance up to next level. But also BMW's approach to dct in prev gen M4 was quite differet to what's the VAG's family car dsg, which I think is the one in S3 too. I'm not sure if the one in RS3 is the same but recalibrated, or if it's using different components. At least in 8V gen it wasn't the exact same one.

Tried to find out the transmission codes of the current gen A3/S3/RS3 but no match.

I’d guess that shift shift speed in manual mode will depend on whether or not the car has preselected the gear that you want to shift into. If preselected, the shift should be well under a second (the same as in auto mode), as all the car has to do is switch clutches. If you are shifting into a gear that the car has not predicted then it will take longer, because the gearbox has to select your chosen gear first. Generally, when accelerating, the car will preselect the next higher gear, and when slowing it will preselect the next downshift.

(A mistake that I have heard of some people making in manual mode is to remove their foot from the accelerator, as they would in a manual, whilst changing gear when accelerating. This makes the car think that you are slowing down and thus initiate pre-select of a downshift instead of an up shift, which then delays your commanded gear change as the car then has to reselect the higher gear that you have asked for. So, for a quick upshift when accelerating in manual mode, you need to keep your foot on the accelerator. Shifting up or down by more than one gear will also cause a delay, as the car has to shift between two gears on a single driveshaft.)

Last edited:
I’ve mainly been trying it at light/medium throttle (where the shift speed seems like a traditional automatic when you have manual1,2,3 on the old autos) so it probably shifts quicker at full throttle

For me it's the initial pickup of 1st gear from a standstill that's lazy, unless you're on S-mode on the gearbox. Presumably in D mode the car is trying to go easier on the clutches. I'd much prefer a manual box if it were available - my 2015 manual Golf R was great.

If I'm coming out of a side street onto a 30mph road and need to get out quickly because the road is busy with few gaps, I will have the DSG in S mode.

As previously mentioned, switchover of clutches into the other gearbox is very quick (about 25ms, If I remember correctly), actually changing cogs within a gear box is about 800ms. If you're in 1st and the other box has 2nd preselected, change will be quick (as it will be for all sequential upshifts if you have your foot down). If you're sat in 6th at 40mph and then floor it, the car will take longer to find 2nd or 3rd, as they aren't preselected and will require an actual gear change rather than a clutch switch.

I asked that from the dealer when I was taking my car back yesterday. They told the gearbox is the same in A3 and S3. The one in the RS3 is different, to handle more torque and harsh driving.

For me it's the initial pickup of 1st gear from a standstill that's lazy, unless you're on S-mode on the gearbox.
Could this be due to the throttle mapping being set up for more for economic / smooth driving in D mode? S-mode has a sportier throttle character. (Eg if you shift from D to S with a constant throttle position then the car will start to accelerate because of the change of throttle map - by which I mean pedal position vs acceleration demand).

Also does eco mode have a lower boost map so car might not have the full bhp and torque? Or is the 0-60 the same on all modes for example?

Also does eco mode have a lower boost map so car might not have the full bhp and torque? Or is the 0-60 the same on all modes for example?
It will be different between modes. Or at least will respond differently. For example drive in efficiency and go full throttle… it will take longer to react to it but will eventually put some effort in but it also moves up the gears quicker as it really wants to be in 7th to optimise fuel consumption (as you have set in the efficiency mode)

Upon driving it more I’ve noticed it can shift instantly sometimes but not always and I can’t work out how to make it do it instantly every time . I know it can be slower if you shift gears that thw car wasn’t expecting you to shift as it pre selects gears, but I’m talking pulling away from lights and going up through the gears which it should be expecting. Is the shift speed maybe dependent on throttle amount? Like if you are accelerating gently and shift up it changes slower?