New Tyres Recommendations

What size PS4Ss is everyone running?

I've worn the OEM Bridgestone Potenza Sports after ~6000 miles and a track day.

I'm going to try the PS4Ss next. I'm assuming going for a like-for-like staggered setup will be good enough?

Reactions: Daggerit
What size PS4Ss is everyone running?

I've worn the OEM Bridgestone Potenza Sports after ~6000 miles and a track day.

I'm going to try the PS4Ss next. I'm assuming going for a like-for-like staggered setup will be good enough?

That’s what I went for. I imagine if you change it too much then you run the risk of messing with the rolling radius readings for the AWD system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gurpz1
That’s what I went for. I imagine if you change it too much then you run the risk of messing with the rolling radius readings for the AWD system.

That is my primary concern switching from Bridgestone to Michelin.
Seems like there can be rolling radius differences within the same brand - (though I'm not sure how much of a worry this really is)

Costco have a decent price at the moment of £820 fully fitted on the PS4Ss with a stock staggered setup of 265/30 at front and 245/35 on the rear.

Going to take a punt and see how it goes!

That is my primary concern switching from Bridgestone to Michelin.
Seems like there can be rolling radius differences within the same brand - (though I'm not sure how much of a worry this really is)

Costco have a decent price at the moment of £820 fully fitted on the PS4Ss with a stock staggered setup of 265/30 at front and 245/35 on the rear.

Going to take a punt and see how it goes!
I have been running the standard size with PS4S's for the last 7500 miles with no issues and have had it into the garage a couple things for completely unrelated issues and they also didn't mention anything about it.

EDIT: I'll just add that the actual width difference of the standard fit Pirelli versus the standard fit Bridgestone is very noticeable just from looking at them and not measuring, with the Michelins being very close to the Bridgestones overall it puts my mind at ease.

Reactions: gurpz1
Well 3 arrived today…..lol

1 x 245 missing in action

View attachment IMG_4507.jpg
6.83 mm of tread new

e03cabacd2996670a0230dc86bc083f7.jpg

Well 3 arrived today…..lol

1 x 245 missing in action

View attachment 272400
6.83 mm of tread new

e03cabacd2996670a0230dc86bc083f7.jpg

If my PS4Ss started on the same then the wear is pretty good. Had 5,000 miles on them when it was in for service and they said they still had 6mm all round. So should get like 30,000 miles out of a set.

If my PS4Ss started on the same then the wear is pretty good. Had 5,000 miles on them when it was in for service and they said they still had 6mm all round. So should get like 30,000 miles out of a set.

bd300b93f874102c8aac03eec12d91fd.jpg

6ad3a87007a337411315e762be991f67.jpg

642e26f9932f0b084d92b082bcef3bdf.jpg

Reactions: Prodigy
I've just fitted 4 conti sport contact 7s. They review better than ps4s which is my usual go to, I've not done many miles in em so can't compare to ps4s just yet but they've good rim protection and the road noise seems quieter than the potenzas.

I've just fitted 4 conti sport contact 7s. They review better than ps4s which is my usual go to, I've not done many miles in em so can't compare to ps4s just yet but they've good rim protection and the road noise seems quieter than the potenzas.
Brave straying away from the sheep tyres haha!!

Reactions: Joey Slats and 8YARWY

In my defence, I buy Michelin because of personal good experiences with them for cars and bikes versus other brands so I have no reason to switch.

And there is no good reason to not buy a good tyre just because they are popular :icon thumright:

Saying that Continentals are my go-to for winter rubber and have been for decades, they are winter sheep tyres for many and if it ain't broke.......

Also the PS4S is an old tyre and the PSS5 is not out on general release yet. Thankfully my PS4Ss will last until the jury comes in on the PSS5 and we find out what it is actually like. If it stinks then my car will be wearing something else irrespective of what it says on the side. Likely, Continental or Goodyear

Reactions: 8YARWY and Daggerit
A
Aiiiii, the tyre review guy on YouTube knows his stuff and does thorough testing, I was waiting really for the general release of the ps5s but i scrubbed my tyres too quickly. On a side note I had exceptional even wear across all 4 tyres, If anything the rears were 0.25mm more worn than the fronts, anyone else had this?

After switching over to PS4S, did anyone observe a drop in fuel economy?

I've gone down by ~10mpg.

While I did get the Potenzas down to 3mm in ~6000miles - the potential fuel saving from using Bridgestones may offset the higher cost of the PS4S.

Sure, you might have to change the Potenzas more often, but they are a cheaper tyre when on offer.

Maybe it's a zero sum game - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've gone down by ~10mpg.

While I did get the Potenzas down to 3mm in ~6000miles - the potential fuel saving from using Bridgestones may offset the higher cost of the PS4S.

Sure, you might have to change the Potenzas more often, but they are a cheaper tyre when on offer.

Maybe it's a zero sum game - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't know precisely, but I think that I may have. I was actually thinking about it the other day because I struggle to get over 28-30mpg on the dual carriageway whereas before I seem to recall getting close to 40mpg at times. That said, on the last 'fun' run I did I was managing 31mpg average over 280 miles so I'm not sure what's going on with this car sometimes. :tearsofjoy:

One caveat, this is on my 8V (I'm only here through perverse interest :wink new: )

Generally you don't get something for nothing, if you get grip, wear and RR tend to go down. Generally the PS4S is one of the tyres that buck the trend which is why so many like them. I did not do much driving on the OEM Pirellis but my MPG improved markedly on the PS4Ss.

I do compare them to the Bridgestone all seasons I use each winter. Same 250mile night run (a-road/motorway mix) I get 36-38mpg on the Bridgestones and 40-42 on the PS4Ss.

Don't forget rain does make a difference to range, just ask EV drivers :grinning:

Cold makes a difference too but the effect on EV tyres is swamped by the effect on the battery.

Reactions: gurpz1 and Daggerit
Well the new Conti 7’s are finally on.

32df4e3ddee8c6335d8f8589d1b951b6.jpg

Reactions: Pinky1959, RS03???, flybynite and 1 other person
I put a set of conti 7 on a mapped 330d lci and they were a game changer for it. It had Bridgestone on and was getting a lot of rear wheel spin once they were on it was like glue to the road for a rwd car with 320bhp.

Reactions: 8YARWY
After a few days of use, first thoughts are

1) Front feels lighter on its feet when turning in, not to the detriment of the steering though.
Did think release agent residue may cause this but I’m told that’s not a thing anymore, and they don’t need a scrub in period anymore either.

2) won’t comment on grip until I’ve more miles on them, but early signs are good.

3) no feeling of ‘tram-lining’ like has been said elsewhere and they are no noisier than the P-Zeros that came off.

Reactions: RS03??? and flybynite
Front feels lighter on its feet when turning in, not to the detriment of the steering though.
Did think release agent residue may cause this but I’m told that’s not a thing anymore, and they don’t need a scrub in period anymore either.

I know many say that because tyres don't tend to come with as many casting marks these days but I have always found the steering gains weight after a few hundred miles on most new tyres, including the more recent ones I have tried. Be interested if you find the same. :icon thumright:

849c51ccd4c8f8032d45a714c3b5cf2c.jpg

I looked at all those results, which tyre won the dry handling? it doesnt seem to appear in any of the results you posted ?

Edit: Sorted, I found the test resuts :)

Last edited:
After a few days of use, first thoughts are

1) Front feels lighter on its feet when turning in, not to the detriment of the steering though.

2) won’t comment on grip until I’ve more miles on them, but early signs are good.

3) no feeling of ‘tram-lining’ like has been said elsewhere and they are no noisier than the P-Zeros that came off.

How are you getting on with the Continentals? I need at least two fronts, tyre life/wear on the Bridgestones is poor, 15,000 miles, rears are not that far away either :(

How are you getting on with the Continentals? I need at least two fronts, tyre life/wear on the Bridgestones is poor, 15,000 miles, rears are not that far away either :(

All good so far.

Now they’ve scrubbed off the steering isn’t as light as when they were first fitted, but it’s still lighter than when the Pirelli’s were on.
I’d actually say the Continental are a little quieter re road / tarmac noise.
Not pushed the car because I’ve not really been anywhere to do so, but when the time comes I’m confident these are going to be a good tyre.

Someone commented the other day how good the sidewalls look, which I can see now.

For reference my OEM Pirelli’s were 3.9 mm fronts and 4.2mm rears at 10500 miles so I could’ve left it longer but I always prefer newer tyres as opposed to wringing every mile out of them.

Reactions: Mike.46 and flybynite

Camskill still the cheapest
577ba1a2ba5a1dd0f3485747a51e96e7.jpg

4b0a85b6e8061d212f32bed0be952973.jpg

Black circles are £20 dearer on both these for the same tyres.

Reactions: Mike.46
OK, new tyre day today, I bottled it and went with the Bridgestones again as I really only needed a front pair, they were still at 3mm plus, but the nearside tyre had an odd wear right on the inner 1inch of the tyre, probably just road camber as my Golf did very similar.

I also used Demon Tweeks because :- a) I am within 20 minutes of them and b) (touch wood) they have never marked a wheel in all the years I have used them,

My last tyre set on Golf R came from Jim Jeffries in Warrington, they have a weird tyre machine that leaves 'cut's in the inside of the rim through the paint about 1inch apart, they also left the barcode sticker on the tyre bead which resulted in the LF tyre slowly deflating and also on a Saturday (low press warning) when I then had to find the leak/break the bead/remove the sticker etc as we had planned to go out on the Sunday

Ive said many times you can not compare a different 'new' set of new tyres with the old one's you have just changed, the new fronts (same tyre dont forget) feel gripier right from the start around the many roundabouts coming away from Demon Tweeks also quieter and more oddly more comfortable, I guess that extra 4-5mm of rubber is responsible for that :)

Reactions: RS03???
I actually wish I'd "bottled it" I'm thinking now! I put new ps4s on last week from the original Bridgestones and although they are bit more refined/quiter, better on rougher surface and the outright grip is potentially better once leaning on them, the steering weight and directness has been negatively impacted somewhat, especially at higher motorway speeds. Actually a bit disconcerting at higher speeds, just feel a bit squishy and woolly off centre, moves around a lot on the tread. Not sure if it's the sidewalls being bit softer or the overall tread softer. The original Potenza Sports I had were down on their limits tbf so always going to be a big difference going to new tread but kinda wishing had stuck with the OEM's.
Sidewalls do look good though and decent rim protector:)

I actually wish I'd "bottled it" I'm thinking now! I put new ps4s on last week from the original Bridgestones and although they are bit more refined/quiter, better on rougher surface and the outright grip is potentially better once leaning on them, the steering weight and directness has been negatively impacted somewhat, especially at higher motorway speeds. Actually a bit disconcerting at higher speeds, just feel a bit squishy and woolly off centre, moves around a lot on the tread. Not sure if it's the sidewalls being bit softer or the overall tread softer. The original Potenza Sports I had were down on their limits tbf so always going to be a big difference going to new tread but kinda wishing had stuck with the OEM's.

Glad I didn’t go for the MPS4S then.

Reactions: karlosqf
I actually wish I'd "bottled it" I'm thinking now! I put new ps4s on last week

Just to confirm were they PS4 or PS4S?

the steering weight and directness has been negatively impacted s

As I have said before any new tyre will feel worse than old scrubbed tyres in many ways until they are used a bit. The Michelins have quite a deep tread depth from new which you will see a difference even to the same tyre. That is why scrub new tyres and 'shave' tyres in motorsport and performance tests.

The Michelins are a bit softer than some others, it is why I use them, some don't get on with that. I have struggled to find the limit of grip as a summer tyre on my PS4Ss I use all-seasons in the winter.

That is why I say there is no 'best' tyre, you need to pick the one that suits your needs, preferences and the conditions you see most.

Reactions: 8YARWY and doncarlyon
Just to confirm were they PS4 or PS4S?
PS4S
As I have said before any new tyre will feel worse than old scrubbed tyres in many ways until they are used a bit. The Michelins have quite a deep tread depth from new which you will see a difference even to the same tyre. That is why scrub new tyres and 'shave' tyres in motorsport and performance tests.
Yep I agree for sure they have got slightly better since bedding/scrubbing in a little but can't see them changing much more now till worn down. I looked at tread depth spec and is slightly deeper than on the Bridgestones.
The Michelins are a bit softer than some others, it is why I use them, some don't get on with that. I have struggled to find the limit of grip as a summer tyre on my PS4Ss I use all-seasons in the winter.

That is why I say there is no 'best' tyre, you need to pick the one that suits your needs, preferences and the conditions you see most.
Yes, again I agree the grip is excellent it's just that they do affect the overall handling and feel of the car but I get that some people might prefer the softer feel. But I guess there is a reason they develop a OEM tyre, I know they probably have a deal with Bridgestone/Pirelli but they must put a lot of testing into it from a performance pov. Like a lot of more modern cars, the steering feel isn't exactly amazing anyway purely from a performance pov so personally don't want a tyre which affects it even more negatively. It's hard to pick a tyre which suits your needs without trying it first I guess. It just shows different cars do react different on the same tyre because I've driven different car with the same tyre and it's been mega so yep:)

I'm off for a puncture repair tonight, fully expecting them to want to replace the tyre. Just hope they don't give me Michelins as I never get along with them.

I had a puncture during the week. Found it flat in garage so had to remove in there and take it down and get a new one fitted. The other 3 are going on tomorrow. Out of interest did anyone else find a jack in your boot? Mine has the tools and locking nut but no jack. Had to use the one from my polo.

I just went for the Bridgestone's again as they lasted 12k.

Puncture repaired and 4 new tyres being fitted on Monday.

8k miles... it's done better than my Megane RS Trophy

I've had a couple of 'negative' experiences with PS4, my V8 R8 was originally on P Zero and I swappped to PS4, they spoilt the car big time, the way the car would turn on the P Zero was staggering and if you didnt warn the passenger you could quite easily pull his neck, not so on the Michelin, they just felt slow and squishy.

I swapped my Golf R onto PS4 as well, wasnt overly impressed that time either, funny how a tyre becomes the automatic 'go to' after a few you tube journo's start rattling on about them, much the same as them always slating Audi for understeer, almost as if they scared not to mention it

That’s interesting, I certainly didn’t have the same experience when I switched to PS4S tyres. I found the turn in was much faster and there was no issue as speed so maybe there’s something else going on with your car in terms of the wheel alignment needing looked at or something?

I've had a couple of 'negative' experiences with PS4, my V8 R8 was originally on P Zero and I swappped to PS4, they spoilt the car big time, the way the car would turn on the P Zero was staggering and if you didnt warn the passenger you could quite easily pull his neck, not so on the Michelin, they just felt slow and squishy.

I swapped my Golf R onto PS4 as well, wasnt overly impressed that time either, funny how a tyre becomes the automatic 'go to' after a few you tube journo's start rattling on about them, much the same as them always slating Audi for understeer, almost as if they scared not to mention it
They always seem to be the fashionable tyre.

I'm crossing all my fingers and toes that I don't end up on Michelins on Monday.