I've joined the 6 figure club now.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So the old bus reached its milestone yesterday.
joined the 6 figure brigade.:icon thumright:

note to self, time to dust that dash ..lol

D0ED7ACB 2ACB 487A B2F0 1FB5E09F0E97
8681C278 0582 4DEC 9C6E 8C7206498ED9

Reactions: Gmac, NM07, Audi Bairn and 6 others
Congratulations Rob! Very very soon I'm about to hit the 250,000 mark - that would mean we're approx 11,000 miles on our way back from the moon :) I can honestly say the engine has never been better running, with my ownership (from about 170K). At around 15-20K per year now, 300K will come probably during 26. A long way off Irv Gordon and his legendary 3 million mile P1800, and at nearly 60 and creeping legislation, never will be, but we'll give it our best :)

Reactions: NM07, Audi Bairn, Charlie Farley and 2 others
To be honest, a 100k miles on a 16 year old car is nothing, just a case of doing the running maintenance and repairs really, i cant see any reason to sell up based mileage alone.

Break down that 100k and its only 6250 miles a year, nothing at all.

happy days. :yes:

Reactions: 45bvtc, B7Tourer and NM07
My 22 year old Golf is about to tick over to 140k… still runs beautifully. Think with the build quality of these old wagons as long as you keep up with the maintenance they will run for a good while. @B7Tourer has proved this already

Reactions: Charlie Farley and B7Tourer
My 22 year old Golf is about to tick over to 140k… still runs beautifully. Think with the build quality of these old wagons as long as you keep up with the maintenance they will run for a good while. @B7Tourer has proved this already
They get a lot of flack VAG engines, but millions were made and those bellyaching, or with issues are in the minority. Tis true the TDIs (and the TFSIs) had bad pump designs but it is possible to sort them for good; and when you do...my what tough little units they turn out to be. The only thing that isn't genuinely original now on my high roller is the clutch/DMF and I reckon that's fair wear and tear.

I lay no claim to a secret sauce but, 6K oil/filter change; 12K fuel filter change; only premium diesel... until it doesn't work I'll keep on. :)

Reactions: Charlie Farley
a 100k is nothing I generally drive my cars until they die one difference is i keep them running on a seriously tight budget... but don't skimp on maintenance... and that last bit is the reason why they last and see generally over 450K before i decide that it's no longer viable to put a penny towards it any more... and with the build quality of the car itself and the one thing that is bad about these engines (oil pump setup is the weakest link, and the cam follower incase of the petrol tfsi engines) but change as needed and you have a robust engine that will keep working far beyond what people expect. But key to those high miles is maintenance and fixing what is wrong as soon as possible.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Rookie numbers - 340,000 miles on a A3 1.9 TDI ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Rob Avant, northpole, Gmac and 3 others
Or as my old dad used to say, its only just run in.....:yes:

Reactions: northpole
Its been misbehaving this week so not in the good books.:sob:

Rookie numbers - 340,000 miles on a A3 1.9 TDI ;)
The 1.9 TDI is legendary - we'll never see something like that again. There's one on YT, a B6 A4 saloon I think in France, with over a million KM. Another similar British car at over half a million miles was stripped for the first time in it's life and showed little to no wear - they reckoned that the carbon build up had kept the seals good too; they put it back together, without overhaul, except obviously new gaskets, and it's still trucking. The 2.0 TDI PD can be almost as good if you catch the oil pump with a modified one, early enough - mine still had life at 230K, before the change. Good regular service (forgetting the 'long life service' intervals) and premium grade fuel, will always be a safer bet also, with any engine.

Reactions: boffin486
The 1.9 TDI is legendary - we'll never see something like that again. There's one on YT, a B6 A4 saloon I think in France, with over a million KM.
mweh. that just means it got taken care off... those 1.9tdi engines are bulletproof though and those km = 621+k miles so not that impressive.... my mk4 golf with a 1.9tdi non pd engine did 470k before i let it go to the scrappy because it needed a complete respray... engine wise it would startup just fine and drove like when i bought it with 30k on it. but the sun had gotten to every single panel on the body work a respray was too expensive because the car wasn't worth a penny.... so i got more on the scrappy weighing it in, and selling the full leather recaro interior and porshe wheels with the pcd adapters off than i would if i just drove it into the scrappy.

but they pulled the engine and dropped it in a banger racer that until 1 month ago was still being used for races... don't know if it still got the same engine at the moment.

mweh. that just means it got taken care off... those 1.9tdi engines are bulletproof though and those km = 621+k miles so not that impressive....
Neither were particularly taken care of. 621K miles is pretty impressive for a 4 pot turbo diesel engine, in anyone's book I would think.

Not impressed I had a golf mk3 vr6 that saw 1.1milion kilometers... yeah that is a petrol engine that actually got bored up to 3.0 liters and blueprinted at 150k kilometers at that time it got new chains, chain guides, chain tensioners and chain sprockets... new clutch etc... basically a complete.engine overhaul and a remap.. pushing 221.3 bhp at the wheels and about 210nm

Now if that can do it a diesel should be able to go further.... that said the vr6 engines original design was diesel but vw motorsport got their hands on it and made it petrol... it actually went to a mate of mine that drove it for 2 more years before he crashed it on a trackday.

Nor would Irv Gordon be particularly impressed with your car, after getting over 3 million miles from his P1800 Volvo 4 cylinder. That's over 40 years though. It's a question not of life but time. I'm talking about engines over 10-15 years. Many a European Taxi driver has got over a million miles on their 190E Mercs or TDIs, in such a time frame - a taxi driver in Greece was the 2nd highest, I believe, at 2.5 million miles from his Merc diesel - Mercedes gave him a brand new car at 2 million, but he kept the old one too. Diesels are naturally longer lived because of some very basic reasons, as you say your block was based on a diesel one. Long strong/much lower revs than petrol engines; bigger stiffer blocks and stronger and bigger bearings to handle high compression ignition; the naturally lubricating nature of diesel oil as opposed to the detergent effect of gasoline, etc. There aren't many TFSIs or any purely petrol engines that can get anywhere near these mileages without complete rebuilds. I'm talking about engines that haven't been touched and as you admit they are often scrapped long before the engines have died, because everything else falls apart first. I probably won't live long enough now at my anual mileage to see over 600,000 miles in my Avant, so it's impressive to me :)

Last edited:
Lol the difference is that vr6 wasn't driven like a show car but in daily use and mostly driven hard, I was ontop of the maintenance though.

But just like you, mine will probably outlast me and with it being just a 2.0 fwd auto it just gets driven on short trips... don't do enough miles a year it sits mostly stationary in the parking lot

I might add Irv Gordon's Volvo petrol engine was actually rebuilt several times; the Greek taxi driver's diesel engine was not. ;)

Yeah but those old Mercedes engines were build to last... most will out live the bodywork... my dad had one and sold it because he got tired of it... as it had no go but it would always start regardless of the weather and almost no maintenance was needed. So it bored the hell out of him... he bought an Oldsmobile Toronado v8 to replace it, it was way more fun in the go department.

PS That volvo isn't that good of an example than I only rebuild the engine to get more power from it lol not because it needed to be done...

ive got a Mondeo st 2.2 tdci (as well as an old vag) with 175k, still on original lower arms, just had drop links and shocks,

drives amazingly all thinkgs considered, just a shame the 2.2 has no where near the punch of the 3.0 however it is significantly more reliable :neutral:

I have a B5.5 Passat 1.9 PD 130 AWX, 157k now, never misses a beat, and a Mk 4 Golf 1.9 PD 115 AJM - the baby of the fleet at only 51k miles after 23 years from new...imported it brand new back in 2000 from a main VW dealer called Grimm in Hamburg. Back in the days when you could bypass the whole UK dealer network and save a fortune as UK prices were silly compared to the rest of Europe.
Full UK spec car, drove it out the Hamburg showroom. 1.9 PD....bulletproof, and before diesels got silly - only a simple EGR....no DPF or adblue, swirl flaps etc.
They map nicely too.
Keep oil topped up and changed every 5k...you just can't go wrong.

Reactions: B7Tourer and northpole
Well she finally got there! I won't probably be driving when she hits 500K, at my mileage, but she'll do it, that I now know. I'll end up giving her away when the time comes, as long the young 'un promises to keep up the services properly. Until then she'll get the best of care, I can :)

Attachments

• IMG_20231023_132022.jpg
    IMG_20231023_132022.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
Reactions: Rob Avant, northpole and RS5 JON
So we've a 2010 RS3, one of the first, and now on 15623 miles! How long do ya think it'll take us to join this wonderful club? If ever...

Snake

PS: only 'health' and 'hospital car parking' slowed us... :racer:

• Love
Reactions: northpole, Charlie Farley and B7Tourer
haha , seems to be standard format ...

I imagine ironically Audi could care less about how we keep theses cars going long after their planned life. Even Mercedes now I imagine are not handing out certificates for high mileage diesels, since diesel particularly is a dirty word. Yet technology advances in design and tolerances; consumer complaints over corrosion prevention have made some of these cars quite sustainable far beyond their projected lives, than they ever used to be; by the diligent and competent owner. People used to believe everything in an owner's handbook, religiously; now we by rule of thumb cut that in half and together with clever aftermarket engineering and preventative maintenance (such as KMB oil pumps) can get a lot more out of them; well us lot anyway; I reckon most new car complaints are from people who never lift their own bonnet ;)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeMZGICNSMg

Reactions: 45bvtc
I’m well up there too. 3.0tdi on 203k. Owned since 74k. Serviced every 10k

Reactions: Gmac and Charlie Farley