2020 Audi A3 8Y - Bluetooth Handsfree Call Quality issue

agpe2023

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker and first time poster here. Sorry it's taken so long to sign up!

I'm the owner of a 2020 Audi A3 8Y S-Line and I have a persistent issue with the Bluetooth Handsfree/Audi MMI. When I make or receive a telephone call, around every one and a half minutes into the telephone call, the my voice is superimposed/covered with interference, making it difficult for the other party to hear me. The phone call never disconnects and happens regardless of the location (so I'm confident this is not a Network/Signal issue) and I've tried the following to fix it;

- Lowering of the 'Microphone input' volume to the lowest setting via the Audi MMI
- Deleting and re-pairing the four Mobile Devices from within the Bluetooth Devices section of the Audi MMI system

I've had my Local Audi Dealership investigate the issues and update the Audi MMI Software to the latest version and on the final (and latest) visit for them to investigate the issue (after I was able to prove that the issue happened with four seperate Android mobile phones) they have confirmed that Audi TPI 2062857/3 and TPI 2067031/2 are applicable, but unfortunately Audi's Technical team do not currently have a fix for this, nor could they provide any idea as to when a fix will be released.

My question is, is anyone else affected by this issue and has had their issue diagnosed and their 8Y VIN linked to these Audi TPI's? Has anyone else heard anything different?

I suspect this issue only affects 2020 Audi A3 8Y models, as I've not heard anyone else report the issue, neither can I find any evidence of this issue amongst these forums, or the Internet, either. I'm currently attempting to contact Audi directly about this issue and I will post back the result, but just wanted to reach out in the meantime to see if anyone else was affected.

Cheers

Hi all,

Long time lurker and first time poster here. Sorry it's taken so long to sign up!

I'm the owner of a 2020 Audi A3 8Y S-Line and I have a persistent issue with the Bluetooth Handsfree/Audi MMI. When I make or receive a telephone call, around every one and a half minutes into the telephone call, the my voice is superimposed/covered with interference, making it difficult for the other party to hear me. The phone call never disconnects and happens regardless of the location (so I'm confident this is not a Network/Signal issue) and I've tried the following to fix it;

- Lowering of the 'Microphone input' volume to the lowest setting via the Audi MMI
- Deleting and re-pairing the four Mobile Devices from within the Bluetooth Devices section of the Audi MMI system

I've had my Local Audi Dealership investigate the issues and update the Audi MMI Software to the latest version and on the final (and latest) visit for them to investigate the issue (after I was able to prove that the issue happened with four seperate Android mobile phones) they have confirmed that Audi TPI 2062857/3 and TPI 2067031/2 are applicable, but unfortunately Audi's Technical team do not currently have a fix for this, nor could they provide any idea as to when a fix will be released.

My question is, is anyone else affected by this issue and has had their issue diagnosed and their 8Y VIN linked to these Audi TPI's? Has anyone else heard anything different?

I suspect this issue only affects 2020 Audi A3 8Y models, as I've not heard anyone else report the issue, neither can I find any evidence of this issue amongst these forums, or the Internet, either. I'm currently attempting to contact Audi directly about this issue and I will post back the result, but just wanted to reach out in the meantime to see if anyone else was affected.

Cheers
I don’t have the problem on a late ‘20 / early ‘21 A3 8Y S-Line paired to an iPhone.

Reactions: agpe2023
Hi all,

Cheers
I have an 8Y S3 registered December 2020, and have not experienced this issue. I have a Samsung S21.

Hi all,

Cheers
Hi, I have exactly the same issue but with Apple. The call at my end is fine but whoever I’m calling hears the same thing as you described. I got the MMI replaced but it hasn’t sorted it. We tried different phones at the dealership but it was the same regardless.

My car is going back in next month so I’m interested to see how you get on with Audi.

I had a 2020 8Y A3 one of the first off the production line and that was fine with the call quality, had many mmi issues until the software update was done, it’s replacement A3 has no issues either.
Maybe your problem is a microphone issue not software etc

Hi, I have exactly the same issue but with Apple. The call at my end is fine but whoever I’m calling hears the same thing as you described. I got the MMI replaced but it hasn’t sorted it. We tried different phones at the dealership but it was the same regardless.

My car is going back in next month so I’m interested to see how you get on with Audi.
Thanks for posting to let me know. Can I ask what year your Audi A3 8Y was produced and whether it is the saloon or sportback? Could you post back and let me know what your Audi Dealership finds next month as that would be really useful.

I had an update from the Audi UK Customer support representative today, and I quote..

"Thank you for reaching out to Audi UK regarding your A3's ongoing issue with the Bluetooth Handsfree kit.

Following upon our conversation on the Live Chat yesterday, I have reached out to my internal Brand Support Team who referred me to the Technical Support Team. I have provided them with the two Technical Product Information (TPI) numbers and they have given me feedback.

Both these two TPI numbers are for a Software update that is due,and that at the moment, there is no fix. i have been advised that the Technical Team at our Factory team are currently developing a repair for this issue, and our Factory Team has not given us a timescale. We have requested that the repair to fix this issue to be expedited, and they will be in contact with us in due time.

I do apologise for this inconvenience, I can assure you that I will keep following up with the Technical Support team, to find a resolution to this matter."

Still no further forwards yet.

Thanks for posting to let me know. Can I ask what year your Audi A3 8Y was produced and whether it is the saloon or sportback? Could you post back and let me know what your Audi Dealership finds next month as that would be really useful.

I had an update from the Audi UK Customer support representative today, and I quote..

"Thank you for reaching out to Audi UK regarding your A3's ongoing issue with the Bluetooth Handsfree kit.

Following upon our conversation on the Live Chat yesterday, I have reached out to my internal Brand Support Team who referred me to the Technical Support Team. I have provided them with the two Technical Product Information (TPI) numbers and they have given me feedback.

Both these two TPI numbers are for a Software update that is due,and that at the moment, there is no fix. i have been advised that the Technical Team at our Factory team are currently developing a repair for this issue, and our Factory Team has not given us a timescale. We have requested that the repair to fix this issue to be expedited, and they will be in contact with us in due time.

I do apologise for this inconvenience, I can assure you that I will keep following up with the Technical Support team, to find a resolution to this matter."

Still no further forwards yet.
Hi,
my car was registered in March 2021 and it’s a sportsback with the comfort and sound package. It also had the wireless phone charger.
The dealer has ruled out a microphone issue as the interference is so intermittent. Sometimes it’s every couple of minutes but at other times (on a good day) it can be about five minutes.
I have also tried it without the phone being in the charger but it doesn’t make any difference.
Thanks for posting your response from Audi, I will let you know how I get on at the dealership!!

Hi,
my car was registered in March 2021 and it’s a sportsback with the comfort and sound package. It also had the wireless phone charger.
The dealer has ruled out a microphone issue as the interference is so intermittent. Sometimes it’s every couple of minutes but at other times (on a good day) it can be about five minutes.
I have also tried it without the phone being in the charger but it doesn’t make any difference.
Thanks for posting your response from Audi, I will let you know how I get on at the dealership!!
Interesting. Mine was registered in December 2020 and it's a saloon with the comfort and sound pack. I wonder if there is some form of trend here. Be interested to see if those who are not affected do not have the comfort and sound pack (which includes the B&O Sound System).

I have a December 2020 registered without the issue, and I don't have the comfort and sound pack (without the B&O sound system).

Interesting. Mine was registered in December 2020 and it's a saloon with the comfort and sound pack. I wonder if there is some form of trend here. Be interested to see if those who are not affected do not have the comfort and sound pack (which includes the B&O Sound System).
Mine is a late 2020 early 2021 fastback with the comfort and sound pack. I do not suffer the problem.

Just wanted to provide an update on this.

I've been chasing Audi UK Customer Support periodically (once a month since my last update) and they still don't have an available fix for TPI's 2062857/3 and TPI 2067031/2, which I am led to believe are responsible for my issues with the Bluetooth Handsfree/Audi MMI.

The car is booked in for diagnostics regarding another issue in late October and I've asked that when the car is with them for this that they check for an update on these TPI's and apply a fix if it is available. I'll keep this thread updated.

@Pinkpanther77 Could you update this thread to confirm what your local Audi Dealership reported or did following your most recent visit for this issue? Cheers.

Hi, sorry I forgot to update the thread after being at the dealership. My car was booked in at the end of August. Unfortunately they said there was nothing they could do as the faults had been previously reported on Audi Technical (same fault as you reported I suspect). So I was told I would just have to wait for a software update so God knows when that will come through. The interference is actually getting worse so it’s very annoying.

I will be at back at the dealership in 2 weeks time so I will ask then if there is any news then.
Cheers.

Just to update this thread, I managed to log into Audi Erwin and I've pulled out the below information for each TPI. The car is going into my Local Audi Dealership again this week for other issues so I'll be interested to hear what they say.

According to the TPI's, Audi are not expected to release a software update until late 2024, when the car is well out of warranty!! What an absolute joke!!

Audi TPI 2067031

Customer statement:

The customer complains that the voice output is intermittently distorted when making a phone call. Unlike the issue described in TPI 2062857, the interference can be heard by the driver (i.e. inside the vehicle).

The interference is sometimes also described as a scratching or tinny noise.

Workshop findings:
The complaint can be reproduced in the workshop.

Technical background

Software issue.

Production change
Outstanding.

Measure
Please postpone the repair as there is currently no effective repair for the complaint described by the customer.
Optimised software for the central processor unit is being prepared. The optimised software is not expected to be available before the fourth quarter of 2024.

Basic filtering of vehicle description;
Sales model: 8Y% - MQB / MEB Cluster 35
Brand: A
Model Year: 2021
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audi TPI 2062857

Customer statement:

The customer complains that there is cyclical noise interference on the other end of the line. During the interference, the sound of the customer’s voice is very faint. Sometimes the sound of the other person’s voice is described as sounding distorted or robotic.

Unlike the complaint described in TPI 2065163, the issue described above occurs irrespective of the engine speed.

Workshop findings:
Postpone repair

Technical background
Software issue.

Production change
Model year 2023

Measure
Please postpone the repair as there is currently no effective repair for the complaint described by the customer.
Optimised software for the central processor unit is being prepared. The optimised software is not expected to be available before the fourth quarter of 2024.

Basic filtering of vehicle description;
Sales model: 8Y% - A3
Brand: A
Model Year: 2021
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Reactions: AdamInKent
Hiya, I asked my dealership about it possibly being out of warranty by the time they got a fix and they said as it was reported when it was still under warranty they would still honour it.

Hiya, I asked my dealership about it possibly being out of warranty by the time they got a fix and they said as it was reported when it was still under warranty they would still honour it.
Quite right to - Taken a long time to get this sorted bearing in mind it was mentioned very early on

My Local Audi Dealership were useless when I tried to discuss my concern that the Audi three year warranty on my vehicle may expire before the a fix for this issue is released and the issue is actually resolved.

Their suggestion was that although if this particular scenario arose they would attempt to apply for a goodwill gesture from Audi UK on my behalf, this is not guaranteed, and I should consider purchasing the Audi extended warranty option once the Audi three year warranty expires, to ensure that I would not have to foot the bill for any repairs should Audi UK refuse to offer any form of goodwill gesture!

This is my first, and it will now be my last, Audi. I thought the build quality issues I had with my Volkswagen Golf and the experiences with the Volkswagen Dealership Network were bad, but the number of build quality and software issues I've personally had with this practically brand new Audi A3, and the dismal experiences and lacklustre responses from two Audi Dealerships has put me off any Audi, Volkswagen, or any other VAG car for good now.

I'll be looking to get shot of it in the next year or two.

Last edited:
I have a 2017 S5 Sportback and started experiencing similar issues with my phone connection about a month ago, after having everything working fine since I bought the car 3 years ago.

The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S22+. I can make/receive calls ok and hear the other person, but all they hear is a static noise and are unable to hear me So far, I have reset the mmi and re-paired the phone without success. My partner's iPhone works normally, making me think the issue was with my phone.

The other day, I did a bit more investigation whilst at home parked on the drive with the ignition on. I found that if I start a call, then open and close either front door, the recipient of the call can then hear me clearly again. To me, this indicated that the issue was with the car rather than my phone. I'm stumped on this - don't know whether to pursue with Audi or Samsung! Really annoying, as it started randomly and not after any changes. All I can think is that it might have been a result of a Samsung software update.