Dealer replacement: which engine this time?

mrmacmusic

Reaction score
Well, it seems that despite the dealers best efforts to rectify the inconsistent running of my '03 2.0FSI they still haven't sorted things, and are now putting together a proposal to replace the vehicle. Finally.

I'm guessing they'll come up with a few options for me, so I'd like some advice on which engine to choose....

Having had a wide variety of courtesy cars mostly with diesel engines, and having had so much trouble with my FSI, I wonder if switching to a diesel engine would yield any more reliability...? [The FSI had 2 fuel pumps, an OX sensor, a throttle position sensor, new spark plugs, a re-programmed ECU and finally an EGR valve]

Looking at a 'no cost' replacement, the options are likely (hopefully) to still be on an '03 plate, so I guess I'm looking at potentially a 1.9TDI (130 would be nice). I could always stick with petrol - so would a 1.8T be an more reliable than the 2.0FSI? They had coil pack problems did they not?

My relationship with my first Audi hasn't started well, but I still really like the A4 Avant, and the dealer can't be faulted through all this (although I'll wait and see what their proposal actually is). I'd just like to make an informed choice when they present me with my options.

So, is one variant more reliable than another? If I was starting from scratch, I'd probably go 1.9TDI (130) Sport to balance the performance and economy - and hopefully improve reliability. I quite liked the 2.0TDI (170) that I had for a few weeks, but the 2.0TFSI was very nice too.....

Confused.

i dont think they will swap your 2.0 fsi for a tdi, the same car as yours in the tdi guise is worth a grand more book. is it a company car or did you buy it yourself. if they do offer you a diesel i would take it they are cheap to run and the engines last if looked after and it will be easy to sell on when youve finished with it

Jase is right you can add a grand + for a tdi, and throw another 1500ish for an avant over saloon.

Thanks guys. I know the TDI is worth a bit more (my FSI is an Avant by the way) - I guess it comes down to the options they present to me. The FSI was bought by me, and there's no dealer finance involved to complicate things (although I did a trade-in) - all I'm after is a fair swap!

The FSI is mint with low miles, and it's that time of year when the dealer is likely to have a few extra cars to play with - hopefully something will fit the bill that suits us both, and whilst I'd prefer not too, if it comes to the bit, I'll add a bit of cash if necessary to get the right car.

It does sound like switching to a diesel (even if that means adding a bit of cash) would be sensible: a bit more performance, better economy, and more easy to sell down the line. Fair comment?

....but would it be more reliable? Also, does the TDI use more oil, and is it more expensive to maintain?

you are bound to get the odd bad car even tdi ones, but the vast majority i would say are very reliable dont take any sh** of the dealer aswell as my recent experiences of teeside audi have been shockingly bad dont know which dealer you are using tell em you want and stick to your guns. last service i had on my second car which is a 1.9 tdi was 300 quid and it doesnt use much oil at all about 1 litre a year

Cheers Jase. I'm in the 'giving them the benefit of the doubt' frame of mind just now - but I'll wait and see what they offer me next week after such a busy weekend!

I guess that's the problem - there will be good cars and bad cars. Unfortunately, everyone I discuss my FSI woes with has had some kind of problem with theirs!

I had a 2.0 VW which used a litre of oil pretty much per tank of fuel, and other cars I've owned have used none at all - good to hear your TDI wasn't too thirsty.

yeah its been a good car mate my a4 tdi, had it 4 years all ive replaced is brakes and put in a couple of litres of oil. good luck and let us know how you get on mate

Seems like I'm finally getting somewhere.....

Still to check it out, but it looks like I'm going to have the option of a 1.9TDI Sport (130) on an 02 plate with 48k on the clock as a 'straight swap'. From a power-plant point of view, seems like a no brainer, and I was fond of the newer 'sport' (04) when I was searching for my Avant back in April.

Is this a worthwhile deal, going from an 03 plate 2.0 FSI SE with 40k? Seems like I'll lose cruise and rear electric windows, but gain sports seats, suspension and bigger alloys (tiny 17s where all you modders are concerned!!). My current Avant is colour coded, and I believe this one isn't (although that's an easy bodyshop fix - might even be worth getting a GMBh kit rather than just spraying the stock bits??)

I'm told the TDI Sport 130 books at £900 more than my current car (2.0 FSI SE), but I did a quick AutoTrader evaluation, and it seems the figures are the other way around. Any thoughts would be appreciated.....

get it mate you wont be dissapointed. forget about the rear electrics, how often do u use them anyway ? and retrofit the cruise if its an option you would use.i would rather have a sport trim than an se anyday, a tdi with 48k on in 02 vintage is a rare beast indeed.colour coding wise why dont u get a votex bodykit i found a place sellin em for 600 quid. get it remaped and youll wonder why u ever wanted the 2.0 fsi. as far as valuation goes the diesel will depreciate slower than the petrol so it will be a safer bet for the future. i would still moan about the fact its an older car though try to get a free service and a full tank of fuel. good luck

Coil packs go on the 2.0 engines too, not just 1.8.

In response to one comment made, we have a 2.0 that used to use loads of oil but this consumption stopped when I swapped from 0w to 5w grade, and that's with 140K on the clock. Now it rarely needs topping up.

Sport doesn't come with full DIS either, so you will lose that when you hand the SE back.

I have the TDi the same as Jase and tbh mate you won't be disappointed.

Cheers all...should have probably bought a TDI in the first place!

Not sure exactly what the spec is (with so many build options), so I'll have to wait until I see it in the flesh - hope it's OK, as I'd like this long running saga brought to a conclusion soon....

I've got a 6CD in-dash 'Symphony' which I think was SE only, no? I won't miss the rear electrics, but I do quite like cruise - I guess it's around £200 to retrofit (probably not a DIY job)?? What's missing on the cut down DIS - would I still have remaining miles and MPG usage displayed?

Having had the FSI colour-coded by the dealer for £250 - maybe I should strike this deal again? Heck, if the TDI's the same silver I should probably just whip out a screwdriver......!

I'll let you all know how it pans out........

Meant to say that having just been to Center Parcs, fully loaded with wife, 2 kids (6yr old and 6m old), luggage, 2 mountain bikes and roof box, my SE had a really nice lowered stance....was kind of hoping they'd come up with a Sports swap!

No DIS means no DIS, just warning lights, but all depends if it was spec'd with the car, my 51 TDI 130 sport has it. I always thought it was standard TBH on all but the most basic entry level Audi's but there was a post on here recently with a guy who didn't have it on his B7 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Line, so I presume it was always an option. Never had an Audi without it.

Hi peeps,

I think there is some confusion over the DIS thing. Please, feel free to correct me if I am wrong, (& I probably am). We have only been A4 owners for about 3 weeks now, never having one before, at least not in the last 15 years!!, in at the deep end etc, so be kind:icon_thumright:

As Andymac says, just about every Audi has it as standard, the part missing is the on-board computer & wiper stalk with controls to get mpg, avg speed etc.

Our A4 avant had the display & showed miles left & the check button on the dash, but that was it. I retro fitted the stalk, programmed the dash & wayhay, full OBC with DIS, although from what I can make out there are cars that require a different steering control unit at an extra £125 or so. Anything can be retro fitted, DIY stylie, & there are some great How-to's around for most stuff.

With regards to the Symphony2, maybe you could make that part of the deal to swap it into the Sport, makes an RNSE upgrade a much easier deal.

At the end of the day, it's you that has been inconvenienced, so demand the earth, oh & the water, what the heck!!

Shane, (York)

Cheers Shane.....I need to wait and see exactly what the proposed car has on it before I start demanding anything, but you're right, I should probably push them a bit considering the hassle I've had.

Can no-one help with a confirmation of the value of the two cars?

(1) 03 2.0FSI SE, 40k
(2) 02 1.9TDI (130) Sport, 48k

...my "AutoTrader" valuations puts my current FSI as worth more than the TDI, but the dealer is saying the opposite (athough they are happy to swap without cost to me)??

Parkers say an '02 19.TDI Sport to be about £11,800 & an '03 2.0 FSI SE to be about £11,600 so the dealer is about right, maybe a little over-estimating to make it seem a great deal! One thing to make sure you do get from them though is a new 1yr full warranty on the car, would be worth more in my eyes than a tank of fuel or colour coding the bumpers for free. Give us an update when you've seen it & checked out the spec.

Cheers for that Nickynibbles.

It would be interesting to know what Glass's Guide says - the Autotrader valuation widget thing puts the '02 1.9TDI 130 Sport at £10,705 (Dealer) or £9,355 (Private) and my current '03 2.0FSI SE at £11,295 (Dealer) or £9,994 (Private)......so with these numbers I'm losing out.

However, I agree that the diesel powerplant will hold it's residual better, and be 'more valuable' when I come to change a few years down the line.

The only thing I know at this point is that the car will have a new 1yr 'Approved Used' Warranty, so that one's checked off the list!

Most SEs have DIS, most Sports don't. Base model doesn't have it either.

Symphony II was an option I think, or it was on our 51-plate SE.

Symphony was an option on my 02 SE too as was the light package I have.

Thanks folks....I'm hoping to check out the TDI early next week, when I'll be able to get a handle on exactly what 'options' have been fitted! The dealer is giving me a new 1yr Warranty (expected), but also the cherished transfer and road tax - so they're most definitely proposing a 'no cost' swap. I just hope the car looks OK, and maybe I can wangle changing over the Symphony2 if I pay to retrofit cruise??

OK, so it seems to have taken for ever, but I've finally had a chance to check out the dealers offering, and I think my decision to take them up on the swap was a no-brainer. If I went to another dealer, I'd probably have to pay £2k+ for this 'swap'....

My 2003 2.0 FSI SE will be no more in a few weeks, and I'll be driving a 2002 1.9 TDI Sport (130). The dealer won't be colour-coding my bumpers and sills, but I can't really grumble considering the Sport will have a new 'Approved Used Audi' warranty and MOT, it'll be taxed and they're paying for the transfer of my private reg. The new car's in very similar condition to my current one - it's been looked after, A+ externally, and only starting to signs of its 50k age internally. The dealer's refurbishing a couple of kerb marks on the alloys, and they provided a dialog printout showing the warranty work and servicing history. I've also spoken to the previous owner who's known the car since new (a mate had it before he bought it from him) all of which inspires a little more confidence about a car of this age.

Hopefully, this will finally be closure on a particularly unhappy motoring chapter, and the start of a new more satisfying one!

So, is there anything I need to watch out for on the TDI? It's just been serviced including the toothed belt and a couple of new tyres, so I'm not expecting any servicing bills for a bit.

Anything else I should check before it leaves the forecourt......?

Meant to mention, the Sport's got an interior lighting pack (yeah, yeah) and a cooler in the glovebox (woohoo!) – no more melted chunky KitKats!!