Rattly noise coming from left drivers side (3.0 ASB) (Possibly chain?)

BenAP

Reaction score
Hi all,

Had my B7 3.0 ASB for around a year now, and its been off and on making this noise, and it would seem to be more predominantly on the left side of the car but maybe not. It's louder since the weather has got colder and also only seems to do it whilst it's idling, but not all of the time. If I blip my throttle the noise will go away for a second, and maybe sometimes even stay away. It sounds strange but sometimes in traffic depending on how i've stopped (uphill, downhill etc) it would either appear or disappear.

I am wondering if this could possibly be the dreaded cam chain or hopefully something else?

The car is on 187K and hasn't had the chains redone. On initial cold start-up there is no sign of any noises which would usually indicate a loose timing chain which is why I am wondering if it could be something else, although it does sound very 'chainy' in the video.

The Video:

Hopefully somebody has an insight or experience of what this could possible be. The car seems to drive spot on and has caused me 0 issues in the year of ownership

Cheers,
Ben

I have had the same issue. CRTD engine rattle on start and then between 1k to 2k you get defined rattle very load from underneath the car. I checked all heat shields and exhaust parts etc.. and tried engine flush but still there . Then I decided to flush the oil three times; once with engine flush, second with 5litres diesel and 2 litres fresh oil, the change filter and flush with fresh tesco oil, and then final fill with fresh good oil. Each time it was run at 1200 for 10 to 20 mins with cheaky blips. The difference is amazing, still have some rattle when engine is cold but silent went warm now. The engine is more responsive also. I will repeat in 5k and see if it improves further . Much better then spending 4k+ on chain replacement. I am guessing its the tensioners that were gummed up causing the issue.. disclaimer : I in no way recommended using diesel as a flush to anyone. However I have used it in all 10+ cars that I have ever owned without issues.