3.0 tdi tensioner chain

tiger2345

Reaction score
Hello, some time ago engine driver's side(left side, german model) chain tensioner was replaced due to rattling on hot engine, the rattle was gone, but only for like 2 weeks, the noise came back but is not so loud as it was. So i'm thinking that chain might be stretched. Question is, Is it possible to change the chain without removing gearbox?

Hello, some time ago engine driver's side(left side, german model) chain tensioner was replaced due to rattling on hot engine, the rattle was gone, but only for like 2 weeks, the noise came back but is not so loud as it was. So i'm thinking that chain might be stretched. Question is, Is it possible to change the chain without removing gearbox?

What engine code?? I have the BKN and you can change the top tensioners but not the top chains as on the bottom engine cover the gap is too small to get the chain past the sprocket but thats just on my engine later models could be different??
Some clever chaps on here who will probably tell you more good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What engine code?? I have the BKN and you can change the top tensioners but not the top chains as on the bottom engine cover the gap is too small to get the chain past the sprocket but thats just on my engine later models could be different??
Some clever chaps on here who will probably tell you more good luck

I have the same BKN engine as you

Ah right it’s a defo no then chap box out engine cover off I’m afraid

Getting the engine cover off is the pain the turbo needs to come off to get the top bolts out and you need to prise the headers apart slightly to draw the end cover off or I did on mine

f55c9162a7ba1e7d45bf97f73fc0590c.jpg

That’s with new tensioners in mine a few yrs ago