Drive Select Issues

kayeng

Reaction score
Greetings and Best wishes for the New Year!

Took delivery of my car about 3 weeks ago, after a 9 month wait. Have been gentle with the car while getting used to the different handling characterisitic compared to my previous FL 8V. However, once I started expermenting with the Drive Select modes, I found the selection on the MMI screen didn't correspond with the indication on the VC. It would be the same if mode selected using the RS steering wheel button. Basically I found that the actual mode the car was running was 1 selection behind what was indicated on the MMI and the VC. Eg, if I select Dynamic, the car would be in that mode but the MMI and VC would display Auto mode. It would get more complicated if I then just changed drive mode from S to D and changed modes. It reached a point where I didn't know what mode the car was in nor what mode I had selected. Took it into service, and they were just as perplexed with the issue, not having experienced anything like this before.

Has anyone else experienced this?

The local service center have been told by Audi Germany they should not update the software (they assume its the VC software) until a software update will be released after Q1 of 2023.

So if you select dynamic how do you know the car is in the mode if the MMI and VC are displaying something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if you select dynamic how do you know the car is in the mode if the MMI and VC are displaying something else?

Engine revs increase, drive mode changes to S...but the VC shows Auto and MMI Auto remains highlighted. If I then cycle the Drive Select switch the car goes into Eco and the indications change to Dynamic, and so on

Engine revs increase, drive mode changes to S...but the VC shows Auto and MMI Auto remains highlighted. If I then cycle the Drive Select switch the car goes into Eco and the indications change to Dynamic, and so on

So is this not an issue on startup? If you put it into an RS mode and then turn the car off, when you turn it back on it defaults to auto regardless.

So is this not an issue on startup? If you put it into an RS mode and then turn the car off, when you turn it back on it defaults to auto regardless.

I am aware of the startup mode fall back to Auto irrespective of the previous mode at shutdown even though it is still indicated on the VC/MMI, it was the same with the previous generation car. My issues are when the car is running and I change the Drive Select mode either via the wheel RS button or the DS button

I have this issue as well, but just on startup, as if some modules need to wake up or something.

I have this issue as well, but just on startup, as if some modules need to wake up or something.

It seems like it may be a known issue if they are planning a software update. In your case, is there a pattern or is it random mixup of modes?

It seems like it may be a known issue if they are planning a software update. In your case, is there a pattern or is it random mixup of modes?
Its literally like you said - on startup if i try to change modes, its like it's one or two behind, completely un-synchronised. Then I try later like 5/10s later and everything is in sync and working... weird :D

Yeah I've the same just on startup. Think it's just the lag from things waking up. A few seconds and it's reet.

It's mildly annoying when you want to start in Performance mode though :p

While watching a YT review video from the USA, noticed the Drive Select did not include the Efficiency mode (only had Comfort, Auto and Dynamic). Wondering if that is the reason (different software versions) that some of us are having issues with the Drive Select. Also noticed the nomenclature in the Individual mode engine sound settings are different (Quiet/Auto/Present) than what I have (Subdued/Auto/Enhanced)

US owner here - noticed similar issues with the drive mode indicator in VC, but it only happens if I disable the "automatic activation of RS layout" option in the MMI. With that option off, if I switch from a regular drive mode (comfort/auto/dynamic) to one of the RS modes, using either the RS button or through the MMI, the bug happens. The issue fixes itself upon the next start up.

Switching between the regular drive modes through the MMI or using the DS button works as expected. It's only if I have that option off + switch to one of the RS modes where the bug occurs.

It's mildly annoying when you want to start in Performance mode though :p
As a getaway driver you should probably have the engine running sooner, just in case ;) Don't forget to disable start/stop too.

• Haha
Reactions: cooperp, LayZ_Pz and Daggerit
As a getaway driver you should probably have the engine running sooner, just in case ;) Don't forget to disable start/stop too.
No start/stop in Individual/Performance hehe. (But ****** lane assist is still there grrrr)

Reactions: JamesOff

Took delivery of my car about 3 weeks ago, after a 9 month wait. Have been gentle with the car while getting used to the different handling characterisitic compared to my previous FL 8V. However, once I started expermenting with the Drive Select modes, I found the selection on the MMI screen didn't correspond with the indication on the VC. It would be the same if mode selected using the RS steering wheel button. Basically I found that the actual mode the car was running was 1 selection behind what was indicated on the MMI and the VC. Eg, if I select Dynamic, the car would be in that mode but the MMI and VC would display Auto mode. It would get more complicated if I then just changed drive mode from S to D and changed modes. It reached a point where I didn't know what mode the car was in nor what mode I had selected. Took it into service, and they were just as perplexed with the issue, not having experienced anything like this before.

The local service center have been told by Audi Germany they should not update the software (they assume its the VC software) until a software update will be released after Q1 of 2023.
Same thing happened to me, but then i realized if i give it about 5-10 seconds to actually adapt, the screen changes to the right mode.

Same thing happened to me, but then i realized if i give it about 5-10 seconds to actually adapt, the screen changes to the right mode.
Yeah that's usually the time it takes - I also noticed that if I try to interact and change the mode before it's "ready" it will actually take longer to be "ready" very strange behavior all around...

It sounds like there may be a software issue with the vehicle's Drive Select system that is causing the mode displayed on the MMI screen and the Virtual Cockpit (VC) to not match the actual mode the car is in. The service center you took it to has not encountered this issue before and was advised by Audi Germany not to update the software until a software update is released after Q1 of 2023. In the meantime, it may be best to continue using the car in a gentle manner and avoiding using the Drive Select modes until the software update is available.

Reactions: kayeng
What software version are you guys on?
I'm on 3801 and whilst I have lots of software gremlins - thankfully this isn't one of them!!

What software version are you guys on?
I'm on 3801 and whilst I have lots of software gremlins - thankfully this isn't one of them!!
Think I am on 3801 too, Ill check sometime during the week and will post back.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK
As far as I know RS3s only came in two versions so far; 3691 and 3801 - there's possibly something newer than 3801 by now though.

The german motor-talk forums used to have up to date info on the software stuff but I can't find the thread now.

US owner here - noticed similar issues with the drive mode indicator in VC, but it only happens if I disable the "automatic activation of RS layout" option in the MMI. With that option off, if I switch from a regular drive mode (comfort/auto/dynamic) to one of the RS modes, using either the RS button or through the MMI, the bug happens. The issue fixes itself upon the next start up.

Switching between the regular drive modes through the MMI or using the DS button works as expected. It's only if I have that option off + switch to one of the RS modes where the bug occurs.

that's a great find, I have that option disabled as well. will try it out with it enabled

Presenting the American owner - I've also discovered that disabling the MMI's "automatic activation of RS layout" option causes the VC drive mode indicator to malfunction. When I go from a standard drive mode (comfort/auto/dynamic) to one of the RS modes (using the RS button or the MMI) with that feature disabled, the malfunction occurs. As soon as you restart, the problem is gone.
monkey mart

thanks for the input, will be doing some experimentation tonight with that option selected

have tried that, but in my case it just stays in the wrong mode until I restart the car

Just to add my experience. I'm on version 3801 as well, but don't seem to be having these issues. Mine is set up to change displays in RS mode and I can turn on the car without starting the engine, hit the RS button twice to move the RS Performance mode, then start the car. It will run through the modes and displays fine, even if the car has just woken up.

I don't know what the difference in car spec or setup is, hopefully people can find some conclusion though so that everything works a bit better.

Thankfully never had this issue.

Audi really made a dogs dinner of the MMi / Virtual Cockpit on this car.

I can confirm this works..Thank you! Silly software glitches.

I have the 'automatic activation of RS mode display' disabled (Dont' like the hockey stick and HATE the runway abortion) and I have never noticed the modes being incorrect even after trying them after reading this thread