Subframe shift

lafa3ro

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My car has been pulling slightly to the right ever since I had the car lowered. Three hunter alignements and three years later it's still the same. I had my mechanic inspect that before I waste money on another alignement and he found out that the cross members were not at equal distance, meaning the distance between the right side members is slightly shorter than the left. He suggested to try and get them corrected by shifting the subframe.

Very long story short, while the subframe alignment is being tempered with, is there any quick and cheap-ish handling mods that could be done while we're at it?

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4a en utilisant Tapatalk

Agree that was a dangerous question to ask in a forum like this, but already got a good answer so good start!

I was wondering about the tyrolkit and similar. Do they still allow for subframe alignment adjustment? Would we still be able to align the cross member with such a kit, say if something is slightly bent on the right side?

If something is bent then fix it. yes the tyrol allows adjustment of the subframe and then will lock it in for the alignment. I am green in the middle on four corners

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely go for the Tyrol or 034 kit then.

Not sure if something is bent really, I only know the right side is 1cm or so shorter than the left side according to my mechanic. He said he wanted to try and fix that with a subframe alignment, then lock it in place. Might as well do it with a fresh collar set.

Do you have something allowing for camber adjustment, like an anti lift kit?

Others can chime in but I’m not a fan of poly in shear situations. Many use them but I don’t. I use the Passat control arms and rs3 rubber mounts. Never needed camber. I have ohlins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point, Passat arms with rubber bushings would be ideal since it's still a daily driver on horrible roads.

Last question, are these subframe collar sets bolts one time use only? Meaning, if I ever need to drop the subframe at a later date I would need to replace the bolts again?

others have reused but most replace as they are stretch bolts. TBH, if you set up the suspension right, I dont think you will drop that subframe anytime soon and the bolts are cheap enough