S3 Replacement tailgate boot trunk gas struts

s3mad_dude

Noggies ruuuule!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just went to visit the S3 and treat it to some new boot struts only to find they don’t fit perfectly. So, now I’m wondering where people have obtained replacement boot struts from in the past for theirs?

My boot struts have been long overdue for replacement and I ordered a set from SGS Engineering for the 8L. I just fitted them and they extend slightly too far. They fit fine, but the boot lid now opens higher (or further up than before) and the boot spoiler fouls the aerial. Spoiler and aerial are totally original/standard. I have contacted SGS to arrange for a return/refund.

Before:

After:

In the meantime my local Audi dealer has said the original struts for the A3/S3 (8D9827552H) are no longer made. Typical.

I found the following online which match the part number. Has anyone fitted or used these before? Is it possible to have the original struts reconditioned? I don’t even know if that’s possible but just a thought.

Reactions: MPH
Last edited:
| also bought some off ebay back in 2018 and they're still spot on...

Hi all,

I just went to visit the S3 and treat it to some new boot struts only to find they don’t fit perfectly. So, now I’m wondering where people have obtained replacement boot struts from in the past for theirs?

My boot struts have been long overdue for replacement and I ordered a set from SGS Engineering for the 8L. I just fitted them and they extend slightly too far. They fit fine, but the boot lid now opens higher (or further up than before) and the boot spoiler fouls the aerial. Spoiler and aerial are totally original/standard. I have contacted SGS to arrange for a return/refund.

Before:

After:

In the meantime my local Audi dealer has said the original struts for the A3/S3 (8D9827552H) are no longer made. Typical.

I found the following online which match the part number. Has anyone fitted or used these before? Is it possible to have the original struts reconditioned? I don’t even know if that’s possible but just a thought.

What is the N measurement of the SGS ones?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Before:

After:

The one's in the last pic look good to me part number ending in H rather than F or G.

The one's in the last pic look good to me part number ending in H rather than F or G.

They’re the originals in that pic that’s why ;-)

If I put one SGS strut with one old strut, I get slightly better lifting, and the other strut stops the boot opening too far, so that could be a winning combo.

I might try those others from strutsdepot.com. They advertise hassle-free returns also. If that’s the case then maybe I’ll just keep the originals on. They still work and hold the boot up, but they’re definitely weaker than a brand new pair.

Thanks for the advice chaps, will let you know how I get on. :thumbs up:

They’re the originals in that pic that’s why ;-)

If I put one SGS strut with one old strut, I get slightly better lifting, and the other strut stops the boot opening too far, so that could be a winning combo.

I might try those others from strutsdepot.com. They advertise hassle-free returns also. If that’s the case then maybe I’ll just keep the originals on. They still work and hold the boot up, but they’re definitely weaker than a brand new pair. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tailgate...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0 just found another OEM one!

Thanks for the advice chaps, will let you know how I get on. :thumbs up:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genu...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0 original OEM one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boot-Gas...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0 These are also good! Had one on the front for 2 years now. Just found OEM one

Last edited:
I ordered a set of ebay a couple af years ago. I also got a set of the emerald struts that open the boot fully when u use the key fob but I found they put the bottom of the boot out of place as there must be to much pressure in the struts. So I'd stay away from those types of struts.

Reactions: s3mad_dude and MPH
Just to update you all on this - I eventually coughed up for two new original gas struts from Audi Tradition. The part number was: 8D9827552F and they fit perfectly. It’s so nice to have some decent struts again that actually have some lifting strength (and fit properly). The originals are 20 years old now so can’t really complain I suppose.

Last edited:
Reserecing a bit of an old thread here, but I just purchased a a pair of new stabilus rear springs from Ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315281553267).
The description fitted the bill, what I thought perfectly. Gone to fit today, every proportion of the length matches my original one BUT when you fit one end in to the hole, the hole at the other end is facing the wrong way! I tried to see if i could twist it, but its impossible with my strength plus I dont think i should.
I have messaged the seller back.

Anyone else had this type of issue of issue which is unusual as i dont think i have read anywhere about the hole directions at each end being wrong to have an issue with slotting into the ball joints on the car. All I have read is to get the measurements correct and make sure its for the correct year/model of your car which is what I did.

Attachments

• IMG_20240505_184138.jpg
    IMG_20240505_184138.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 17
you mean the bonnet and the rear bootlid ones are all the same?
Very similar but the Newton meter force 350NM is different on the front and the rears have two different NM forces of 470NM or 500NM depending on the vehicle https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a3+s3+sportb+lim+qu/a3/1997-201/8/827-827020/ so I was commenting about the fit from this brand seems o.k slight difference to the original audi ones cannot say about the rear as I have the OEM ones Gas Struts 8D9827552F which are 470NM

Last edited:
So found on ebay someone selling '8D9827552F'. Asked if he could send me a picture so i could see how the holes were facing at both ends and guess what? His ones look different to the otrher ones i had purchased also stated as being compatibles. These ones had the holes at both ends facing the same direction!
The previous ones had the top hole facing right when the bottom was facing straight ahead to me and yet mine would have the top hole facing left!
Anyone know roughly cost of a new pair from Audi these days?

So found on ebay someone selling '8D9827552F'. Asked if he could send me a picture so i could see how the holes were facing at both ends and guess what? His ones look different to the otrher ones i had purchased also stated as being compatibles. These ones had the holes at both ends facing the same direction!
The previous ones had the top hole facing right when the bottom was facing straight ahead to me and yet mine would have the top hole facing left!
Anyone know roughly cost of a new pair from Audi these days?
Have a Google with your part number I think I paid £40 for the pair.

Very similar but the Newton meter force 350NM is different on the front and the rears have two different NM forces of 470NM or 500NM depending on the vehicle https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a3+s3+sportb+lim+qu/a3/1997-201/8/827-827020/ so I was commenting about the fit from this brand seems o.k slight difference to the original audi ones cannot say about the rear as I have the OEM ones Gas Struts 8D9827552F which are 470NM
Looking at the pdf document , its not clear whether the rear ones are 470 or 500M, but you can clearly see upon close inspection the ball stud fitment on the 2 ends. The strut holes on either end would not be facing the say way in order to fit. Not sure how accurate the picture is, but it looks like the holes to be opposite each side, which is in reality also not right!

Reserecing a bit of an old thread here, but I just purchased a a pair of new stabilus rear springs from Ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315281553267).
The description fitted the bill, what I thought perfectly. Gone to fit today, every proportion of the length matches my original one BUT when you fit one end in to the hole, the hole at the other end is facing the wrong way! I tried to see if i could twist it, but its impossible with my strength plus I dont think i should.
I have messaged the seller back.

Anyone else had this type of issue of issue which is unusual as i dont think i have read anywhere about the hole directions at each end being wrong to have an issue with slotting into the ball joints on the car. All I have read is to get the measurements correct and make sure its for the correct year/model of your car which is what I did.
I fitted some Stabilus ones to my 8V and had this, I think I put the ball end in a vice a twisted the shaft before where the rod inserts into the gas bit (otherwise the whole thing will spin), they will move you just need some more leverage. Use some grippy gloves too

I fitted some Stabilus ones to my 8V and had this, I think I put the ball end in a vice a twisted the shaft before where the rod inserts into the gas bit (otherwise the whole thing will spin), they will move you just need some more leverage. Use some grippy gloves too
Thanks for that advice. You must be one of very few who has come accross this issue as no one else has mentioned any messiang around with a newly purchased one for it to fit. I dont have a vice or know anyone that can do this. Having called Audi parts apparently the item would have cost £39.60 each, BUT is no longer available! The part number given was 8D9827552H, based on my Number plate.
Having looked at various ones on ebay all stating compatable/same oem part number, i have a feeling you may be right and some may require more twisting than others. Or keep buying and returning until one of the manufacturers have done them correctly....there are quite a few few manufacturers doing the same one.

Reactions: alpesh26