S3 8L - Rear Roof / Tailgate / Boot Leak

ShaunS3

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.
Regional Rep
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

After doing a search and finding no results, I had to resort in posting a thread up.

Whilst in the middle of terrential rain/thunder/lightning storms yesterday evening, i noticed the headlining being damp where the rear interior lights are.

I proceeded to remove the plastic trim that holds it up and revealed a leak somewhere. The leak appears to be centrally sourced and then running both left and right down the trim due to its shape, ending up with the headlining being damp.

At first, i thought the seal around the ariel had gone, letting water in but under the ariel inside was dry? I have had a look at the boot seal and could see no splits, but the leak appears to be further back from there and higher.

I put my fingers in the two hinge holes/partitions and they appeared dry also. So i am now at a loss as to where the water is getting in.

Any ideas?

Shaun.

The seal on the aerial is pretty common to perish isn't it? I binned mine and fitted a shark fin as it was perished but didn't leak from memory.

Right I can solve this :). After a similar issue from 5 years of ownership I finally fixed mine.

First is the aerial, remove it and silicone everything around. Next, where the hinges are, remove both plastic covers, 2 screws each, cake the screw areas In silicone then replace the covers.

sit back and admire your leak free s3 :).