Facelift Reserved S3 8V FL Sportback '17 Man - Keen to tweak cosmetics and hear views on 'must do' upgrades

Right&Glory

Reaction score
Having been on this site for a while, and narrowly missing out on an 8P RS3, I thought it best to re-engage having taken the decision to reserve a manual S3 last week (please don't tell my wife!).

I wanted to have a play with the S3's understated exterior, but Google results seems more miss than hit - plus I would appreciate the voice of experience. Big fan of carbon fibre parts (reserved car is panther black) - looking forward to hearing back...

Reactions: Jcbmally
Having been on this site for a while, and narrowly missing out on an 8P RS3, I thought it best to re-engage having taken the decision to reserve a manual S3 last week (please don't tell my wife!).

I wanted to have a play with the S3's understated exterior, but Google results seems more miss than hit - plus I would appreciate the voice of experience. Big fan of carbon fibre parts (reserved car is panther black) - looking forward to hearing back...
I know its your decision on a manual car. But from personal experience I'd steer clear of the manual S3. Clutches are rubbish in these cars. As I said. Your choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally and pburv
I know its your decision on a manual car. But from personal experience I'd steer clear of the manual S3. Clutches are rubbish in these cars. As I said. Your choice.

Thanks for the head's up. I had made my peace with this being my last manual, but wasn't tracking engrained problems with it on the S3. In your experience, was this due to neglect by a previous owner or particularly hard use at all? At sub 30k miles I'm hoping the clutch feels good on the confirmation drive, I certainly don't intend to rag it, rather 'enjoy' it!

My experience here is limited, hence I appreciate your feedback - I have read that Stage 1 improvements to an unmodified manual S3 can cause issues - did you uprate your manual box or put up with and ultimately get rid?

Thanks for the head's up. I had made my peace with this being my last manual, but wasn't tracking engrained problems with it on the S3. In your experience, was this due to neglect by a previous owner or particularly hard use at all? At sub 30k miles I'm hoping the clutch feels good on the confirmation drive, I certainly don't intend to rag it, rather 'enjoy' it!

My experience here is limited, hence I appreciate your feedback - I have read that Stage 1 improvements to an unmodified manual S3 can cause issues - did you uprate your manual box or put up with and ultimately get rid?
Clutches on these cars can fail from 7K. Mine was 23K. Audi won't entertain any warranty claim. I think i remember 1 successful claim. My clutch came out and it still have visible writing on the friction plate. Showing that only a portion of it had been engaging. Its a wear and tear part, so you take a chance with all these items, not just the clutch. Relativly expensive to get it replaced. They have the same part number as the golf GTI so not really fit for purpose in my opinion. Upgraded clutches are not great. Sachs upgrade is OK. OE is a sachs. Next upgrade can be paddle sachs or RTS. But DONT go for RTS. I've got one as I'm stage 2, just over 400bhp and 560Nm tq. No engine or gearbox / drivetrain issues, just the RTS vague and unpredictable use makes it the worst clutch ever fitted to any car ever! If I could do it over I'd go auto. Coming from the RS3 8P. Real let down with a left pedal.

Reactions: Jcbmally and pburv
Beware of new hidden charges / taxes if you order any parts from outside the UK.

Reactions: Right&Glory
Clutches on these cars can fail from 7K. Mine was 23K. Audi won't entertain any warranty claim. I think i remember 1 successful claim. My clutch came out and it still have visible writing on the friction plate. Showing that only a portion of it had been engaging. Its a wear and tear part, so you take a chance with all these items, not just the clutch. Relativly expensive to get it replaced. They have the same part number as the golf GTI so not really fit for purpose in my opinion. Upgraded clutches are not great. Sachs upgrade is OK. OE is a sachs. Next upgrade can be paddle sachs or RTS. But DONT go for RTS. I've got one as I'm stage 2, just over 400bhp and 560Nm tq. No engine or gearbox / drivetrain issues, just the RTS vague and unpredictable use makes it the worst clutch ever fitted to any car ever! If I could do it over I'd go auto. Coming from the RS3 8P. Real let down with a left pedal.

Thanks for the info. I may well look back on this point and berate myself for ignoring your advice, but I think I'm going to roll the dice.
Might investigate if the Golf R also has the GTi 'box - I wonder if there's a similar issue/how common an occurrence it might be...

So it sounds like you've done a fair bit to your S3 - any other mods beyond the stage 2?

As I said in the OP I'm keen to understand the best quality parts to make the car look a 'little' more obvious, without it looking like Frankenstein!

Reactions: pburv
You could go for Rieger rear diffuser, Maxton front splitter, genuine Audi mirror caps. Subtle bit to start with. Obviously thousands can be spent. Depends on what your after on a final result.

Reactions: pburv and Right&Glory
So it sounds like you've done a fair bit to your S3 - any other mods beyond the stage 2?

[/QUOTE]
20210201 211257

:sign pics: ?? That's quite the list! I have quite a way to go, and the cosmetic tweaks and exhaust work sound very appealing as a place to start!

20200506 191236 copy 3024x1470
20210102 120328 copy 3024x1470
20200519 141828 copy 3024x1470
20200416 092232 copy 3024x1470
20200416 092200 copy 3024x1470
20191116 195939 copy 3024x1470
20190626 183711 copy 3024x1470
20180622 161748 copy 3024x1701

Reactions: Jcbmally, ClubSandwich, pburv and 3 others
Amazing car! The S3 badge and Audi Rings look stunning!
Tomorrow is confirmation drive and (hopefully) collection day... now I just need a reliable body shop to undertake the mods because if I try it will certainly go wrong!!!

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv and Leevr

Nearly 50k miles on my Manual FL S3 and no clutch problems at all. This is with occasional hard driving and letting the car loose a bit at weekends. Had her serviced last year and the clutch is as a good as new.

I guess it's luck of the draw really if you'll have problems or not. There are plenty of people who complain about the clutch in the manual. On the flipside I've heard of people (very rarely I'll add) having issues with the DSG but obviously they are considered more reliable than the manual transmission, which is understandable.

Its personal preference IMO - most people prefer the DSG. You can understand why. I'm hoping my next motor will be an RS3 so I'll have no choice :icon thumright:

Reactions: Jcbmally, Right&Glory and Leevr
Thanks for the view mate - it sounds like we are on a same journey as I took delivery on Monday and very much hope my next car will be an RS3. I’m heartened by the fact they replaced the clutch before I collected it, and so there will be much fuss made if there’s an issue in the next couple of years.

Hope you’re enjoying your car - any plans/work undertaken to date??

Reactions: Jcbmally
Thanks for the view mate - it sounds like we are on a same journey as I took delivery on Monday and very much hope my next car will be an RS3. I’m heartened by the fact they replaced the clutch before I collected it, and so there will be much fuss made if there’s an issue in the next couple of years.

Hope you’re enjoying your car - any plans/work undertaken to date??

Absolutely - I see you've gone for the panther black. Is it the black edition or the standard with the chrome wing mirrors etc? I'm a big fan of the Black Edition 19" alloys, I considered changing mine from the stock 18" rims but haven't followed through with that just yet. The 18s don't quite fill the arch as much as I'd like but I'm in 2 minds as to how the black edition wheels would look with the chrome wing mirrors/grill and trim etc set against the blue.

Aside from that and a potential res delete (I created a thread on that recently) the car is completely standard and therein lies part of the appeal of the S3 to me - it is perfect as is! Mine is the Ara Blue - very easily maintained. Would recommend the obvious ceramic coating, pays for itself ten fold IMO.

Regarding a future RS3, the Nardo Grey is just special so I would love to have the opportunity to drive one when my current deal expires!

Is there any aftermarket solution for knee pads other than those stock on carbon ones from china? Would love some alcantara or even leather down there, but imagine replacing the whole console is pricey and my luck it'd squeak after!

Is there any aftermarket solution for knee pads other than those stock on carbon ones from china? Would love some alcantara or even leather down there, but imagine replacing the whole console is pricey and my luck it'd squeak after!
@Leevr is your guy - look at the pics of his green S3 and one of his mods are the knee pads you mention. I’m sure hell have the info on those

Reactions: ArrEssDrei
Absolutely - I see you've gone for the panther black. Is it the black edition or the standard with the chrome wing mirrors etc? I'm a big fan of the Black Edition 19" alloys, I considered changing mine from the stock 18" rims but haven't followed through with that just yet. The 18s don't quite fill the arch as much as I'd like but I'm in 2 minds as to how the black edition wheels would look with the chrome wing mirrors/grill and trim etc set against the blue.

Aside from that and a potential res delete (I created a thread on that recently) the car is completely standard and therein lies part of the appeal of the S3 to me - it is perfect as is! Mine is the Ara Blue - very easily maintained. Would recommend the obvious ceramic coating, pays for itself ten fold IMO.

Regarding a future RS3, the Nardo Grey is just special so I would love to have the opportunity to drive one when my current deal expires!

Yes I did go for a black edition (the only option IMO) with red brake callipers and privacy glass looks lovely!
The stock wheels (I’m assuming) are the 18’’ latest more angular iteration of the rotors with magnesium effect.
Eventually I want to go gloss black on the alloys as was the option for the RS3 8v leaving the tips of the rotor diamond cut...
Also considering (already!) a milltek cat back but have to do more research on that.
Cosmetically the diffuser and splitter are a must, otherwise as you say, I’m very happy with the car and having never tweaked one before I don’t feel an urgent need just yet!