smoke problems help

adrian2006uk

Reaction score
hello noticed the car is smoking and am confussed what it might be think its turbo but looking for advise
when giving the car some no smoke
if you let it tick over then rev it alittle you get blue smoke
if you hold revs at about 3000rpm nothin but if you change the revs like let it drop then rev it you get smoke
also the is a noise which is there for a few mins when you drive the car then it goes its like a whirring noise but only does it when you move the car not standing (its not dif or anything like that)still i think its turbo seals or turbo help help :blownose:

crazy stuff! my A3 also does the idle thing.....

theres no smoke under acceleration, ive got my mates to check it for me LOADS of times, yet every morning when i get to work, i let the car idle for 2-3mins whilst i get my stuff together and put on my tie. when i go to switch it off, i give it a little blip, and lately, this ALWAYS results in a small cloud of blue smoke from the back.....

ive not tried the varying revs thing, but the smoke after idling is really worrying me! i just HOPE its my turbo, as ive got a ko3S to go on in the next week anyway....

sounds like it's the valve stem oil seals in my humble opinion. when you rev it then back off the change in pressure in the combustion chamber is sucking some oil through them and that's what your seeing.

guessing thats a head off job to replace them?

not something a really fancy to be honest.....

i guess its just down to the high mileage for me then..... although its not really something to worry about is it?

sounds like rings or valves. Had the same on my corrado on low revs and over-run. Get a compression test to be sure, that shoud be a quick and easy test.

If thats OK then it'll be a cracked turbo :(

sounds like head gasket, check under the oil cap for the yellow **** will tell ya whether u have water leaking into the oil. I had the same problem and it ended up being the head gasket very expensive to fix!

good luck mite, hope its not serious.

OK. Smoke can mean a number of things.

If it's white smoke, it's coolant being burnt, which can only mean that your head gasket has blown.

If it's blue tinged smoke then it's oil (judging from your symptoms it's this). Oil is getting into the combustion chamber and being burnt through the exhaust.

If it's black smoke then it's fuel.

If the turbo was dying then there would be plumes of smoke from the exhaust at ALL times. It will also sound like a dentist's drill, and you will get much less boost.

It will probably be the valve seals. It's not too big a job. Just pray it's not your piston rings.

valve seals are still a head off job arnt they? its definately not the head gasket, as the smoke is quite definately blue, showing oil.....

shineydave said:
sounds like it's the valve stem oil seals in my humble opinion. when you rev it then back off the change in pressure in the combustion chamber is sucking some oil through them and that's what your seeing.

Think this mans spot on. Although I thought it was oil accumulating then getting burnt when put under higher pressure, not sure though.

lol, must admit i was struggling to remember the reason why the valve stem seals would only puff out smoke as the revs dropped but thinking about it the inlet manifold goes from positive pressure to negative (vacuum) when you take your foot off the accelerator and i think that's why it sucks oil in if the seals are fubar.

Makes sense. I thought it was when the rev's rised it puffed and thought it was because of the higher pressure, I'll have a look this weekend a friend has his gone and is waiting to get it done.