Wheel wobble advice

furby

Reaction score
Just a quick one .I've started to notice at around 70mph my steering wheel has a slight wobble. I jacked the car up and the front offside has a slight movement when holding 9 and 3. No movement 12 and 6. Front nearside is fine.
Likely to be wheel bearing? If so should I buy OEM eg tps or something else like ecp. My plan would be take the hub out and take to garage for them to swap as I don't have a press.
Car done 145k 1.8t

Thanks .

Just a quick one .I've started to notice at around 70mph my steering wheel has a slight wobble. I jacked the car up and the front offside has a slight movement when holding 9 and 3. No movement 12 and 6. Front nearside is fine.
Likely to be wheel bearing? If so should I buy OEM eg tps or something else like ecp. My plan would be take the hub out and take to garage for them to swap as I don't have a press.
Car done 145k 1.8t

Thanks .
Sounds like a wheel bearing to me presume the balancing is ok recommended to change both ideally at that mileage that way you'll have peace of mind it is my personal belief always to change things in pairs in regards to suspension wheel bearings etc

Sent from Syknet Global Defence Network

No movement 12 and 6.

unless the bearing has worn to a precise oval , that's not possible, bearings make a lot of noise
mot , use a bar to lift wheel up , against ground , ie a lot of force

turns axially , ten more likely steering > ball joints , bushes , track rod ends , rack
if its loose now .. the logical conclusion, something parts , at the most opportune
moment

Any of the fit all mot/service shops can change ball joints track rods etc
then comes the 'oh is a 4x4 and we don't do wheel alignment on
those ...

I’m having similar on my r32 and shakes at 70-80 and very bad when braking above 70 but fine under 70 I think it is some ball joint or bushes worn, if braking only I say warped
Discs

R32 - Skyline ?... )

Guess would be the ball joints are worn , ive changed more than once in the time I've had the car,

Actually replaced 'all the bushes in the front suspension , when fitted the koni's the strut top bearings where shattered too , basically it was a wreck , the previous owner had fitted short hard springs ,to the standard dampers , which reduces compression damping stroke, bottoms more and transfer the shock loading to other parts , which then 'fail .. now the koni springs need 1 inch more pre-load to set the ride height , than when first fitted as the highly stressed 'short springs' age faster ... and the rears have already shattered and been replaced by HR -25 mm set , dampers are fine though ..

No I wish mk5 golf, I have the same Koni/ H&M set up on my s3 not done much mileage on them but just been parked for 3 years I tempted to get the gaz adjustable kit

cheers for the response.

I shall get the car up in the air again and try the bar technique

Watch the linkages as you pull the wheel L/R , feel the joints, will be able to detect any slight movement
or hear knocking , could be the rack , but need the engine running to pump the pressure up , need both
fronts off the ground to check full lock each way

something like 2 or 3 ft bar , pivot 6 inch in, , try lifting the wheel vertically , same routine
look for things that fail to move in sync , or clonks from higher up

Koni/ H&M Must be the standard size front shocks ? I fitted the coil-over pack , which ran well
, only to find, replacement springs are no longer available , hence the H&R on the rear
set of sticky boots , induced slightly more roll on cornering , no one makes replacement
coil over spring sets , for koni damper's must be a market by now

Just an update. Got the car on the ramp and looks like I have play on the inner tie rod.

I’m having similar on my r32 and shakes at 70-80 and very bad when braking above 70 but fine under 70 I think it is some ball joint or bushes worn, if braking only I say warped
Discs
Just come down from Norfolk to London today getting something similar myself 80 90 mph getting vibration if I move the steering left or right and same if I'm braking.

Mine was weird. Noticed at 70+ mainly when accelerating kinda goes away when I let off the gas. Doesn't happen when braking.

Mine was weird. Noticed at 70+ mainly when accelerating kinda goes away when I let off the gas. Doesn't happen when braking.
Going to check all my front suspension feel its top mount related at this point we will see what happens and I'll keep you informed also vice-a-versa

outer tie rod was doing this to me. was busted. looked ok when tried to shake but higher speed horrible wobble. I had all the same things you say.
I would suggest to renew all tie rods, lower joint etc. at same time and use Meyle HD parts. dont cost much and you will be happy years to come.
Also after change ofc to 4 wheel toe etc. calibration

Reactions: MPH
outer tie rod was doing this to me. was busted. looked ok when tried to shake but higher speed horrible wobble.

At this age , replacing single parts , just shows up the next 'issue along the line ,

Reactions: MPH