A3 8p buying advice

dave_ph

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m in the market for an A3 currently as had to downsize due to being out of work (thanks Covid!)

I’m looking at a higher mileage car as my budget is around £5-6k. I’m aiming for an 8P3 where possible. Having owned an 8P2 and 8P3 S3 I know the cars quite well but never had higher milers.

I’m probs looking for the 2.0 tdi as I remember my tfsi was greedy with fuel at best in S-line or black Ed spec. Not too worried about 3 or 5 door. Has to be auto though as I love autos.

What common faults are there to look out for? I know on my old b7 A4 I had to do the infamous oil balance shafts. I believe the TFSI has these as well which can wear? Do the TDI’s have these? I understand the TDI went to common rail at some point which is more reliable, when did that cut over?

thanks in advance all

The A3 had a facelift in 2008 and at that time the CR 2.0 TDI engines were introduced. In 2009 Audi replaced the older 1.9 non-CR TDI with a 1.6 TDI CR. The 2.0 TDI engines introduced a modified/enlarged/strengthened oil pump balance shaft mechanism from 2010.

In the lighter A3 body these CR engines are smooth and economical. Previous design issues causing DPF problems on non-CR engines seem to have been eliminated. My manual 2WD once hot, gives 50s MPG on A roads and 60s on motorway runs and neither burns nor leaks any oil between annual oil changes - hence I've kept it longer than I originally intended.

Oil pump balance shaft issue aside (see above) I am not aware of any particular niggles. I've had the usual rear wiper motor issue (motor replaced £60) and I've replaced a couple of the door lock mechanisms myself (£30 each ebay) - again a well known VAG fault.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info :) Its reassuring to know the balance shaft issue was addressed on the newer models. This was an expensive pre-emptive job on my old A4 (although cheaper than it going wrong!)

The A3 had a facelift in 2008 and at that time the CR 2.0 TDI engines were introduced. In 2009 Audi replaced the older 1.9 non-CR TDI with a 1.6 TDI CR. The 2.0 TDI engines introduced a modified/enlarged/strengthened oil pump balance shaft mechanism from 2010.

In the lighter A3 body these CR engines are smooth and economical. Previous design issues causing DPF problems on non-CR engines seem to have been eliminated. My manual 2WD once hot, gives 50s MPG on A roads and 60s on motorway runs and neither burns nor leaks any oil between annual oil changes - hence I've kept it longer than I originally intended.

Oil pump balance shaft issue aside (see above) I am not aware of any particular niggles. I've had the usual rear wiper motor issue (motor replaced £60) and I've replaced a couple of the door lock mechanisms myself (£30 each ebay) - again a well known VAG fault.