Potential purchase - info appeciated

Lomond

Reaction score
Potentially going to change my car in July or whenever dealers re-open. I've seen an A6 Avant that may fit by requirements but given I bought my last Audi 20 years ago and haven't been in an Audi showroom for the past 17 years, my knowledge is a tad lacking.

My question is about boot space. From pictures it looks to be a perfectly flat load floor but when you lift that floor, how much space (if any) is underneath? Is it like an E-Class estate where there's lots of room under the boot floor or like a Passat / Superb that have variable boot floors (height underneath is approx 100mm when floor is in upper position). Or is it like a 5 Series where because it's compartmentalised ( is that a word?) there is space underneath but it's use is limited.

The other question is that I see some older '19 plate A6's have sensors at each wheel arch therefore assume the car has self-parking feature, but none of the del mile / '69 plate cars I see appear to have this feature. Even if I spec up a brand new car, the system says the cars have Audi parking feature but as far as I can make out, this is simply all round parking sensors with a bog standard VAG display. Can you no longer buy an A6 that self parks?

PS - just read on other thread about dash rattles which someone implied is a common problem with A6? Is that true? It's certainly ot what I was expecting to hear about an Audi. My last Audi felt like it was carved out of stone.

Thanks for any info.

Hi
I have a My2020 A6 Avant, have a look here at my photos:

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/location-of-car-jack.414764/#post-3555445

Where the spare tyre is fitted (purchased afterwards), there was a bit of foam - that area is probably the only usable space but its not much.

Sorry no idea about self parking as I don't have any such feature on my car.

Re: dashboard rattles, yes getting loads but no idea if this is a widespread issue. Plan to call my local dealer once they open and get this fixed under warrnty.

Potentially going to change my car in July or whenever dealers re-open. I've seen an A6 Avant that may fit by requirements but given I bought my last Audi 20 years ago and haven't been in an Audi showroom for the past 17 years, my knowledge is a tad lacking.

My question is about boot space. From pictures it looks to be a perfectly flat load floor but when you lift that floor, how much space (if any) is underneath? Is it like an E-Class estate where there's lots of room under the boot floor or like a Passat / Superb that have variable boot floors (height underneath is approx 100mm when floor is in upper position). Or is it like a 5 Series where because it's compartmentalised ( is that a word?) there is space underneath but it's use is limited.

The other question is that I see some older '19 plate A6's have sensors at each wheel arch therefore assume the car has self-parking feature, but none of the del mile / '69 plate cars I see appear to have this feature. Even if I spec up a brand new car, the system says the cars have Audi parking feature but as far as I can make out, this is simply all round parking sensors with a bog standard VAG display. Can you no longer buy an A6 that self parks?

PS - just read on other thread about dash rattles which someone implied is a common problem with A6? Is that true? It's certainly ot what I was expecting to hear about an Audi. My last Audi felt like it was carved out of stone.

Thanks for any info.
As Psychopomp1 says, there is not a massive amount of space under the boot floor, also the floor is not totally flat when the seats are folded, a slight rise towards the front of the car, made less if you pull the headrest out to their maximum height so they miss the seat squabs.

All versions of the A6 come with front and rear parking sensors plus a rear camera. Late 2018/Early 2019 cars (I think) of any spec level could be specced with the self parking feature, identified by cars that have parking sensors on the sides of the bumpers not just the facing edge. However in mid 2019, Audi did a major spec rationisation across the entire product range (driven in part by the need to get seperate economy testing for every version of the car including options) and dropped the ability to spec the car exactly how you wanted and instead introduced the fully loaded Vorsprung version. If you want self parking today the only way to get it is by biuying that version. Be aware as well that there was a launch edition of the A6 which was very highly speced and included some trim features (metal faced rather than plastic switches on the transmission tunnel) that were not even available as an option

Regarding rattles, I have had my car just over a year now and only when I drive along the potholes that Surrey seems to think constitutes an acceptable road surface do I encounter any rattle at all. I think it really is the luck of the draw (and not just with Audi) as to whether you get a rattle or not

I have a new A6 saloon from March and the dash rattles are the worst I’ve had on any car EVER! and I’ve had a few.
Just about every part of it squeaks or creaks, some come and go dependant on temperature but I have 3 or so that are constant. Not being able to get it to a dealer has not helped my annoyance and they are really grating on me now, but in the grand scheme of what’s going on in the world it’s minor.
For a £45,000+ car the quality of the plastics is shocking and how they can keep pushing them out the factory like this amazes me.
I have got it booked in for end of May where hopefully they can start to address them but given the overall quality I think I’m going to have to put up with the intermittent ones.
This is my 6th Audi across the range in my household over the last 5 or so years but if this is the quality they are starting to churn out it’s probably my last, which is a shame as this could be an awesome car.

Much appreciated for the info guys, those pics really are worth 1000 words.

I'd been expecting a least some compartment of sorts but very surprised to see no space whasoever. And I'd also have associated Audi with everything being an option ( an expensive option at that ), but never appreciated how restrictive Audi had become. You can still configure a VW and Skoda to pretty much how you like. I still suffer nightmares from way back in 2000 when I paid £345 for a piece of wood trim on the door and leather was an £1850! At least somethings have come down in price in 20 years :smiley:

The A6 I saw on the forecourt yesterday certainly looked the part, it was at the upper end of what I was intending to pay for a car and I suppose I could have given up a few options I've become used to over the past three years, but it's that lack of practicality that ends my interest.

Once again many thanks for your help.

I still suffer nightmares from way back in 2000 when I paid £345 for a piece of wood trim on the door and leather was an £1850! .
The interior "wooden" trim option these days is an extra £350 on the A6, so only an increase of £5 in 20 years :tongueout:

Ha Ha... brilliant.

And much better value for money too. As I recall the polished wood was only an inch wide strip that went round the front doors and along the centre console.