lumpy idel

potter

Reaction score
when car is warm and im sat in traffic it does not seem to idel smoothly, according to digital read out on climate control it is reving at between 6600 and 7200 it keeps altering from one to the other, wot rpm should it idel at. its a 225 s3.

emmm do u mean 660-720 rpm?

doesnt sound that bad to be honest im surprised you even notice it jumping between those amounts

yea 660-720rpm sorry bout that been up since 5. does anyone know wot rpm it should idel at cant find it in the manual.

potter said:
when car is warm and im sat in traffic it does not seem to idel smoothly, according to digital read out on climate control it is reving at between 6600 and 7200 it keeps altering from one to the other, wot rpm should it idel at. its a 225 s3.

how do i set it up on the climate control ?

Hold recycle button and up arrow togeather and read out should change to 1deg, then use temp arrows to change to which ever diagnostic code u want to read i think its 27deg for rpm read out. hope that helps.

potter said:

Erratic idle is a worrying sign of MAF failure i've had 2 in 3 years. Does if feel responsive when under normal conditions??? Is your car Thirsty???

Unplug the MAF and run it, see if it solves the problem. I had something similar recently and it turned out to be the MAF, mine was even stalling when I eased off the throttle.

Maybe you should try to dismantle and clean your throttle body, it is often responsible for jumping revs on idle!

Cookie-S3 said:
What other functions / codes can you read through the Climate Control ?:think:

again id love some more info on this, just been out and had a play with it but i dont know what all the numbers are measuring!

Stupid question but is your climate control on when you have this problem?

I thought climate control was causing it but i tuned everything off in car and it still deos it but only when car is well warmed up, jumps between 660-720 rpm anyone know wot there ment to idel at. cleaned maf when i got car gonna try a agian soon see if it improves things.

might not be the fault but i had the same sort of problem from my old audi a3 1.8tn idling funny and it was the throttle body £400

Just to murk the waters a little more, mine turned out not to be the throttle body. A new engine temp sensor did the trick.

660-720 rpm doesn't sound like too bad of a fluctuation though. Is it bouncing between those numbers constantly, up down up down?

yea constanlty up out down between 660-720 rpm u feel it shudder a little as the revs drop. does anyone know wot rpm it is ment to idel at

intrestingly mine is doing the same, and i hadnt really noticed it until i read the post......

yeah mine does it a little to i assume it should idle @ 750rpm. Mine tends to increase to around 770ish