Premature Stop/Start

Stop/Start has activated while car still moving...?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SBJ

Reaction score
Having had a couple of cars with stop/start tech, my A6 behaves more aggressively than 'normal', or does it?
This isn't a question about the conditions it activates (engine temp, battery condition, drive select mode etc. etc). This is normal.

Previous car (VW Passat), the stop/start would activate when completely stationary, normal behaviour. My A6 (2018) 2.0 TDI Ultra STronic Black Edition will activate when stationary but sometimes it cuts the engine and the power steering pump even when still decelerating at about 5mph under braking. Doesn't feel good, not consistent either.

Is this normal for the A6? A quirk or by design? Have Audi released any specific software updates?

I know the latest VW Golf uses the front radar to anticipate stationary traffic and cuts the engine when moving and fires the engine when the cars ahead start moving. My A6 doesn't have active cruse or city braking etc.

Also the stop/start has caught me out a couple of times while waiting at junctions, engine cuts just as a break in the traffic appears. Solution, nudge into Sport mode to deactivate stop/start (easier/closer than pressing the button!)

I too have experienced this in my A7. Can be very annoying at junctions.

A7 3.0tdi 272 Black Edition Mythos Black Tech pack

Reactions: SBJ
Yes quite normal as I understand it.
I have noticed it at times, but only at crawl speeds it cuts in with approximately 10-15% brake effort.
Brake pressure has a big impact, have to be really gentle to prevent Stop/Start cutting in.

It's normal unfortunately, after 3 years I've got used to adjusting how I brake!

Similar on some other VAG models too

Have you any idea what premeture wear it causes which will offset any fuel savings !

No idea what wear it causes, and we all know it’s nothing to do with fuel saving, just emissions testing

can always turn it off

Have you any idea what premeture wear it causes which will offset any fuel savings !
It was more its behaviour rather than its function, but yes I know it hits the starter, battery etc.

The batteries are designed for it, as I’m sure are the starter motors

Don’t think mines chain driven, I can’t really imagine an engine start being that stressful

At? I probably start my car on average twice a day, it might double with stop start

I just wiggle the steering and it restarts

Going through the stop/start cycle is more wearing on components than not going through the cycle. I'm using sport mode more often just to knock off the function rather than having the orange light of guilt displayed! Hmmm there must be a Vagcom setting to default to off... Will look next time I connect it up.

PS, anyone ever seen the oil level drop below 100%? My car's in for its 1st service soon (18700 miles) and its still showing 100% oil level. Miss a dip stick :)

I’ve coded mine with obdeleven. It give you 3 options.

Normal
Memory - saves it to what you selected last
Invert - switches the light on the button the other way

A7 3.0tdi 272 Black Edition Mythos Black Tech pack

Reactions: Gazwould
I've re-coded mine via carista to remember last setting too

I'm probably going to keep mine for another 100k.... so I'll keep you all updated on the status of my starter motor!

in terms of oil sometimes mine says reduce oil level, never seen it drop below full - if my car isn't burning oil, that doesn't concern me