DRL always on error

michael626

Reaction score
Audi A3 2012 62 plate 8P 5 door
100k miles
Right hand drive

Never had any issues with the car mechanically or electrical. Left the car sat for around 10 days while I was out of country and surprised it started up alright when I came home as it's December and fairly cold. No issues on start up however when powering the car down I noticed my front right DRL was still lit up even when completely shut down. Started the car up again and found no error messages, flushed all the lights on and off again, still no luck.

Left it until the morning as I'd travelled over 20 ish hours and was in need of sleep.
As expected came to a flat battery the next day. Took the battery out and charged it up, same problem after reinstall.
So far have only checked that it's not the headlight unit itself by swapping the lights over, always the right side staying illuminated any time the battery is connected (currently not to avoid draining again).
Can only imagine it's either wiring or some control module.

Any advice is appreciated, been advised from a local mechanic that similar problems pop up with A3 electronics and VW love to keep everything in house so it can be a long trail and error process to fix myself.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I can’t help with anything specific to your exact fault , but the first piece of advice I’d offer is to get the car scanned with a tool like VCDS to see if there’s a fault code which would identify the problem......hopefully a faulty module will throw up a code.

Unplug headlight switch, see if this helps also try turning left indicator on with key out as this puts on sidelight of that side when parked for safety warning to other cars, see if it turns of or swaps side.

Halogen or led DRL?

Unplug headlight switch, see if this helps also try turning left indicator on with key out as this puts on sidelight of that side when parked for safety warning to other cars, see if it turns of or swaps side.

Halogen or led DRL?
They are aftermarket led DRL headlights, had no issues previously and I have refitted the old factory fit halogen light on the right side to eliminate the doubt that it was the headlight cluster itself which it is not, same fault is occurring with a completely separate light cluster. I'll have to get it into a garage to be scanned for faults I think.

Whereabouts as I'm in south east

I have work up that way soon, WhatsApp if you want me too look at.

I have work up that way soon, WhatsApp if you want me too look at.
I've charged the battery and leaving it disconnected just now as a quick fix since I'm going out of country again for 3 months but I'll be looking for it to get checked over by someone with experience around April time when I'm back

If anyone was following this waiting for any closure, it's fixed now. My short answer is: do not buy non genuine parts. The headlights I fitted looked amazing but we're Chinese and bugged my whole body control module. Cost me close to £900 for a new one with fitment coding. All just to get my car back to stock.

Im now looking into how straightforward it will be to change my stock halogen headlights for the S-Line led xenon headlights using genuine branded parts.
Anyone who has done this and knows the full expense and hassle of the project please let me know.
Currently looks like I'll need some coding work and auto levelling motors as a minimum?

Not sure why you want to bother doing this upgrade as the headlights themselves come in around £4-500 each for used items. It's not just the motors you need but the entire self leveling system and headlight washers (if you don't have them).