2020 RS3 Strangulation

LSBasi

Reaction score
Opinion and advice appreciated

With a 2020 RS3 on the way I'm keen to unlock the strangled potential from the exhaust.

To the best of my knowledge, the RS3's had a Cat and two secondary Cats further down the exhaust.

So my question is.. what is the crack with these OPF/GPF filters?
Do they replace the secondary Cats?
Do we now have a Cat, secondary Cats & OPF/GPF filters?

&

Lastly, can all these these filters be replaced without changing the backbox? (Which I presume is what your extra money goes into when buying the Sports Exhaust)

Any further exhaust improvement recommendations greatly appreciated

Just the particulate filters and pressure difference sensors now.

IMG 7226

Reactions: AudiNutta and LSBasi
Just the particulate filters and pressure difference sensors now.

View attachment 193274

Excellent picture, cheers.

so I think I’m correct in saying their is 2 Particulate filters and the Primary Cat.

I’ll look to change the primary Cat with a down pipe/sports Cat (nothing new in the car world)

Does anyone have any information on a GPF change out?
Doesn't mean removing the backbox too does it?

Excellent picture, cheers.

so I think I’m correct in saying their is 2 Particulate filters and the Primary Cat.

I’ll look to change the primary Cat with a down pipe/sports Cat (nothing new in the car world)

Does anyone have any information on a GPF change out?
Doesn't mean removing the backbox too does it?

There’s a join where it connects to the rear section.

If you change the front section you are going to have to get the pressure sensors mapped out.

There’s a join where it connects to the rear section.

If you change the front section you are going to have to get the pressure sensors mapped out.

So I’m essentially changing everything but the backbox?

Remap to remove CEL isn’t a problem. A light map is something I’m looking towards anyway. 450(ish)bhp to keep up with the new A45 etc

So I’m essentially changing everything but the backbox?

Remap to remove CEL isn’t a problem. A light map is something I’m looking towards anyway. 450(ish)bhp to keep up with the new A45 etc
To save you the hassle, why not just get a stage 1 remap and have the resonator and backbox modified and maybe the addition of a cete valve controller? You’ll achieve the 450hp that way and will pass MOT when it comes time without any hassle. Decats and gpf removal will no doubt cause a lot of hassle come MOT and only really necessary when going for a lot more power.. just my 2 pence...

Just have a remap and leave the hardware as it is. The remap can open the exhaust flaps all the time in Dynamic giving a nicer sound, not quite as loud as pre GPF but close.

Reactions: LSBasi
Get a valve controller, it hugely improves the sound, and don’t listen to the people who say OPF killed (stock) performance, it’s simply not true from what I’ve measured with a Dragy box. Audi only killed off the pops and bangs. If you want that back you’ll need a tune and if you want to delete the OPF then go for it. Miltek makes high flowcats and decat pipes for the OPF cars but you will need a tune and you will void your warranty. There’s also not many big tuning houses offering tunes for OPF cars yet, so you may want to wait a wee while to see what appears next year from the likes of APR and such.

Cheers. Some solid advice there.

I didn’t realise aftermarket remaps for pre and post OPF are different.

After a dead sounding M2 Comp (poor sounding engine worsened further by the OPF) I really want my RS3 to be a hooligan and I know I’m just not going to be satisfied knowing the OPF’s are still on.

I’m shocked Akrapovic haven’t released anything for the RS3 :concern:

Doesn't Akrapovic make the sport exhausts for Audi (not sure on that one)? In any case the sport exhaust seems to be regarded as the best sounding by many, and doesn't seem to be a restriction, as the big tuning houses don't regard them as necessary to change up to stage 3 tunes. Changing the downpipe and maybe removing the resonators should get you what you are after. What will you do about warranty though?

I’ve also heard something about Akra making Audi exhausts too.

Like i said in the original post, I’d plan on keeping the backbox (which I presume is what your paying for with the sport exhaust)

My aim is to remove the restrictions, so to go catless/sports cat and remove the OPFs. I don’t believe there are secondary cats due to the OPFs (someone please correct if I’m wrong). I’d like to keep the resonator as to avoid any serious drone

Exhaust tinkering and remap will lose engine, gearbox and exhaust warranty which I’ll just have to accept :blink:

On a separate note, just like to say how helpful the Audi forums are compared to the BMW forums :100:

Reactions: seventeenapg and AudiNutta
As far as I can tell it is a big pre-cat on the downpipe just after the turbo, then splits to the 2 OPF filters, which are essentially catalysts themselves, just slightly different technology. There are no secondary cats on OPF cars. Unlike pre-OPF cars though this is all one pipe (on the previous there was a break between the primary and secondary cats), so when you replace your downpipe it will remove the entire section from the turbo the resonators.

You're brave in voiding your warranty on such a new car. For me it'll be a very long 2 year wait! :)

Aye, bimmer owners do have that reputation ;)

What difference is their if something breaks on voided warranty and if something breaks after warranty, still guna cost is a pretty penny either way. If warranty was life long then fair enough I wouldn’t breach it lol

8CCA4339 7BC4 4381 8C50 FDC877833C69

so these two parts with a remap (MRC) will essentially achieve everything I want.. Feels nice to have my plan ready to execute

Reactions: seventeenapg
I get your point, but I want to be sure there are no manufacturer defects with the driveline or any issues that would be warrantied, and also flog the car as hard as I like without worry or concern (and see what it is capable of) before tearing up the warranty and going all in. But I like your enthusiasm :). I may not last the full 2 years!

That'll be a sweet setup. Post videos after! :)

Cheers. Going for the Java Green too. With the sound and colour I really think it’s going to stand out

What difference is their if something breaks on voided warranty and if something breaks after warranty, still guna cost is a pretty penny either way. If warranty was life long then fair enough I wouldn’t breach it lol

View attachment 193340
so these two parts with a remap (MRC) will essentially achieve everything I want.. Feels nice to have my plan ready to execute

It can be life long for a small annual fee ;)

You can extend your warranty past 3 years with Audi, a must have option with a car like this... providing you don’t tune it.

https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/warranty.html

Our ‘normal’ cars are between £300 and £450 a year, I’d expect an RS3 to be closer to £1000. That’s with the full cover and no excess option.

I’ve paid £700 for 5 Year Warranty, essentially £700 for an extra 2 years.

I’ll be modding the exhaust and a remap but that’s only voiding engine, exhaust and gearbox. Let’s say I get a dead pixel in the cockpit screen in 4 years time, that £700 will be well worth it just for that one thing

I won’t be looking for nothing heavy with the remap, MRC custom map to add 30-50 bhp and remove CEL light. Hopefully the Audi quality doesn’t let me down and the gearbox and engine hold up for many years to come

I’ve paid £700 for 5 Year Warranty, essentially £700 for an extra 2 years.

I’ll be modding the exhaust and a remap but that’s only voiding engine, exhaust and gearbox. Let’s say I get a dead pixel in the cockpit screen in 4 years time, that £700 will be well worth it just for that one thing

I won’t be looking for nothing heavy with the remap, MRC custom map to add 30-50 bhp and remove CEL light. Hopefully the Audi quality doesn’t let me down and the gearbox and engine hold up for many years to come

Same as me, it’s silly to turn down the extra 2 years at that price and it’s surprising how few are specced with it at factory.

Indeed you will be all covered for the ‘convenience’ aspects of it but the full drivetrain will be void. Before you do map, be aware that a few of these engines have suffered failure and I had a price from Audi.. the block without turbo and ancillaries is £16k.

It would be strongly recommended to run it for a few thousand miles because it there are any mechanical defects from production, they should show themselves. But giving what these engines are capable of that would be a very safe map and fingers crossed all is great for you.

Waiting to be called out as being negative, I’m not just passing on my opinion.. wish I had the welly to remap haha.

Same as me, it’s silly to turn down the extra 2 years at that price and it’s surprising how few are specced with it at factory.

Indeed you will be all covered for the ‘convenience’ aspects of it but the full drivetrain will be void. Before you do map, be aware that a few of these engines have suffered failure and I had a price from Audi.. the block without turbo and ancillaries is £16k.

It would be strongly recommended to run it for a few thousand miles because it there are any mechanical defects from production, they should show themselves. But giving what these engines are capable of that would be a very safe map and fingers crossed all is great for you.

Waiting to be called out as being negative, I’m not just passing on my opinion.. wish I had the welly to remap haha.

All I want from the remap is to essentially free up the power that’s restricted by Audi due to meeting emission figures etc. Also to remove the CEL after Cat and GPF removal.

Couldn’t agree more with clocking up a few thousand miles before tuning. 1,000mile break in and at least another 2K before parts and remap.

I’ve heard MRC carry out an engine and gearbox health check before carrying out their work. Even at an additional cost, I’ll be getting this carried out

All I want from the remap is to essentially free up the power that’s restricted by Audi due to meeting emission figures etc. Also to remove the CEL after Cat and GPF removal.

Couldn’t agree more with clocking up a few thousand miles before tuning. 1,000mile break in and at least another 2K before parts and remap.

I’ve heard MRC carry out an engine and gearbox health check before carrying out their work. Even at an additional cost, I’ll be getting this carried out

Sounds like you’re definitely doing this the right way then, can’t wait to hear how you get on after removing the OPF’s :)

Most tuning places should do a health check before applying a remap, its good practice. Revo do and would be my recommendation for your remapping.

Most tuning places should do a health check before applying a remap, its good practice. Revo do and would be my recommendation for your remapping.

Id rather use MRC and have a Custom map created for my car. As far as I’m aware Revo are “off the shelf” maps

Id rather use MRC and have a Custom map created for my car. As far as I’m aware Revo are “off the shelf” maps
All I can say is that Revo maps are developed on their own cars over many months. Thousands of development miles are driven to ensure the map delivers consistent performance.

Sounds like an absolute perfect map for that specific car.

As we all know, cars have slight different tolerances between them and after 50K hard driven miles maybe those tolerance differences with a minutely off map might cause a problem.

Not looking to be argumentative, just saying for a slight price increase I’d rather 1) Get exactly what I want from my map and 2) play it slightly safer

Sounds like an absolute perfect map for that specific car.

As we all know, cars have slight different tolerances between them and after 50K hard driven miles maybe those tolerance differences with a minutely off map might cause a problem.
Thats why Revo develop their map on their own car (they have a GPF RS3) and then test it around the world on dealers cars before it gets released to customers .

MRC stage 1 is generic. Although I think they can tweak it. You also get before and after dyno results.

MRC stage 1 is generic. Although I think they can tweak it. You also get before and after dyno results.

Yes but they will spend time adjusting it to the car/mods etc.

Every map must start off at a baseline.

It’s how much more than that baseline people require, especially with supporting modifications.