Front Bumper Removal - What is this???!?!?

Badger-a-s

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to take the front bumper off my 2011 A3 8P Sportback and I've read all the different instruction threads saying remove all the Torx screws and the 2x 10mm bolts that are accessed by peeling the wheel arch lining back. I have 2 more fixings which are not mentioned in any thread. They are really awkward to get to and I have managed to take a blurry photo in which they look like more Torx bolts. I've tried different sizes, T30 and T27, but I can't get enough purchase on them to shift them. I was just wondering if anyone knew what they are so I'm not wasting my time with the wrong tool. Thanks in advance.

Upload 2019 10 30 19 45 33

Upload 2019 10 30 19 45 59

They’re part of the headlamp mounting arrangement , they can be screwed up/down to alter the position of the headlamp.
It’s been a year or two since I last had the front bumper off my car but I’m pretty certain you don’t touch them when you’re removing the front bumper cover???

Reactions: Badger-a-s
Really? The bumper wouldn't budge so I convinced myself they were the culprit! So awkward to see behind the arch liner.
I will try again at the weekend.
Thanks so much!

The posts that you have read about removing the studs underneath bumper , then wheel arch plus the 2 10mm are all correct . Best get a torch and when you peel arch away you can see the 10mm bolt , nothing else needs to be removed other than what has been described in posts

As has already been said , once the fasteners along the bottom lip of the bumper , the 3 screws along the top edge of the grille and the wheel arch liner fasteners have been undone (think there are 3 or 4 torx headed screws and the 10mm bolt each side?) the bumper cover should come off fairly easily .
By the sound of it , I reckon there’s still a screw or two left in one or more of each side that needs to come out....mud and crud can easily build up and hide the screws!
Once all the fasteners are undone the ends of the bumper can gently be pulled out sideways (to unhook them from the lower edge of the wings) and then the whole bumper can be moved forwards away from the car .
I find that putting an old blanket down on the ground in front of the car makes scratching the paintwork less likely.
I know its rubbish pic but here’s the front bumper of my niece’s 2010 cabrio when I had it off to sort out a defective horn a while ago.
Hopefully you can see the top 3 screw holes around the grill and the holes in the end of the bumper itself!
78C5C9DE 9AD2 4246 850E F023551C7059

After removing the screws as above but leavelthe centre screw on the slam panel so the bumper doesn't fall off. Then pull the bumper corners, by the top of the wheelarch outwards, as there are plastic push in clips there. Use both hands and pop the corners, there about 3 clips each side of the car between the wheelarch and the underside of the indicator lamp unit. Remove the slam panel screw and ease the bumper forward.
Don't use any tools as you'll crack the bumper corners.

Reactions: Badger-a-s and Nessy
After removing the screws as above but leavelthe centre screw on the slam panel so the bumper doesn't fall off. Then pull the bumper corners, by the top of the wheelarch outwards, as there are plastic push in clips there. Use both hands and pop the corners, there about 3 clips each side of the car between the wheelarch and the underside of the indicator lamp unit. Remove the slam panel screw and ease the bumper forward.
Don't use any tools as you'll crack the bumper corners.

Good advice.

Wow, thanks guys, you saved me a lot messing around with those other bolts.
I'm guessing the bumper has never been off so it's still really tight. It didn't want to budge and maybe I didn't give it enough welly for fear of breaking it.
I'll be having another go at this on Saturday morning, I'll keep you posted and thanks again for all your help.

As has already been said , once the fasteners along the bottom lip of the bumper , the 3 screws along the top edge of the grille and the wheel arch liner fasteners have been undone (think there are 3 or 4 torx headed screws and the 10mm bolt each side?) the bumper cover should come off fairly easily .
By the sound of it , I reckon there’s still a screw or two left in one or more of each side that needs to come out....mud and crud can easily build up and hide the screws!
Once all the fasteners are undone the ends of the bumper can gently be pulled out sideways (to unhook them from the lower edge of the wings) and then the whole bumper can be moved forwards away from the car .
I find that putting an old blanket down on the ground in front of the car makes scratching the paintwork less likely.
I know its rubbish pic but here’s the front bumper of my niece’s 2010 cabrio when I had it off to sort out a defective horn a while ago.
Hopefully you can see the top 3 screw holes around the grill and the holes in the end of the bumper itself!
View attachment 192917

Thanks for your help and cheers for the pic.

Hope the new grille is well worth the hassle you have been having :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up: