License plate light works only when boot open

amit87

Reaction score
I did a search on the forum and google and couldn't find any relevant hits. (Now that's out the way).

So another new gremlin which I'm wondering if anyone has experienced. Car is a 2014 8Vs S3.

In brief it has OEM LED Number plate lights from factory... if I pop the boot open the lights come on (if the headlights are on)... but when I close the boot, they turn off. It would be fine if it was the other way around but technically I'll be driving illegally in the dark until resolved!

Essentially about 4inches before the boot gets closed, the lights turn off. All other lights on the boot lid and rear work fine, just the number plate ones are an issue.

Anyone experience this? Sounds as if it's either an earth or a broken wire.

Off it goes back to audi under extended warranty. (Sounds great but still hard word to schedule around earning a living).

My Moan:
This car is the best car I have owned when it comes to performance and drivability. However overall it's the WORST car I have owned, it has had way too many issues for a premium car that each year I have been renewing the extended warranty and actually been getting my moneys worth! These things should not fail on a 5yr old premium car! I am severely put off getting another VAG. I hope I'm just the unlucky one this time and it's not many of you guys experiencing all of these issues too that should not be happening on such a premium car! Rant over!

See attached gif (snippet from video I took but demonstrates the issue).

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20191019-174801_Gallery.gif
    SmartSelect_20191019-174801_Gallery.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 331
I would say you have a broken wire around the boot hinge

Reactions: amit87 and Sibmets
Thanks Both.

I'm hoping they don't question the reverse camera wiring although it runs down the other side of the boot lid and does not impact the reg lights in anyway but plan to try get this done under warranty and if they refuse then I'll have no choice but to do this myself.

If I end up having to do this myself, I'll try find out where exactly the fault is and show pics.

If audi fix I'll report back with what they've done.

Thanks Both.

I'm hoping they don't question the reverse camera wiring although it runs down the other side of the boot lid and does not impact the reg lights in anyway but plan to try get this done under warranty and if they refuse then I'll have no choice but to do this myself.

If I end up having to do this myself, I'll try find out where exactly the fault is and show pics.

If audi fix I'll report back with what they've done.
its actually a very simple fix if its a broken wire. remove tailgate trim, remove interior boot trim, trace wiring around the hinge and end loop in order to feel for breakage, splice wiring back together. If you are under warranty then throw it at Audi but its not a major job should they mess you around.

Reactions: amit87
Went into audi today to get looked at. Currently they're trying to get extended warranty to approve.

They claimed they would replace the entire loom and also agreed it should be covered under warranty.

To my surprise, the loom is in slack when the boot lid is open and in full stretch when closed thus the fault wiring disconnects when closed. I assumed this would be the other way round.

I will conclude once the jobs done but I reckon I will get given the car back and then rescheduled once parts available. Let's hope they can fix by tomorrow.

Latest update:

Extended warranty declined. Although electronics is part of the warranty, wiring is not. This is apparently the case for majority of manufacturers and extended warranties.

Anyways quoted £185+vat for the loom. They were generous and will barely charge me labour, perhaps 30mins so I am sure my local has lost out on this too. Very good service from them and the service rep.

I was told that the loom is in a bad way and I risk the entire loom failing so rather than ask for the car back and doing a single wire repair, I have asked them to go ahead and replace the loom. They mentioned they will extend the new loom to prevent this happening again in the future.

Surprisingly they said it appears a loom as already been fixed... not sure if they were referencing my rev CAM wiring or if another loom has actually been fixed.

Job finally complete... I really think my local dealership went above and beyond to help me out here... hats off to them and I will have to send an email to praise the team.

See attached the summary sheet I recieved with part n20191028 180733 umbers.