No warning when leaving door open

glospete

Reaction score
The other day my wife and I were in our local supermarket car park. When we came back to the car I saw that the passenger door was wide open, and my first thought was that the car had been broken into. But upon checking it was simply that my wife had inadvertently left her door open and despite me pressing the remote control and the mirrors folded in and the indicators flashed once, there was no warning that the door was open. Is that normal? On my previous (non-Audi) cars it has not been possible to lock the car if a door was open. If it is normal behaviour on my A3, is there a setting (perhaps with VCDS?) so that a warning is given?

The car will not lock unless all doors are fully closed and you will not get a flash of indicators or a beep from the horn, if a door/boot/hood is not fully closed.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and glospete
That's interesting, thanks - I'll have to do another test to see what happens. I thought it was a bit odd so maybe I didn't notice what it actually did. I don't have mine set up to give a beep from the horn upon locking so maybe I'll do this in VCDS.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
VW has been unable to have long-lasting microswitches constructed since, well... a long time. Is it possible yours is on the way out? It's likely to be intermittent at first, and it may manifest itself the other way as well- telling you the door is open when it's actually closed.

I've not really seen reports of microswitch failure on these cars, but until VW and Audi have a good run for several years, I'll continue to assume they will become common failure points 3-5 years in.

It's not just VW, either. I've a friend with a 2014 F150 with three of four gone bad.

I've had it where the door is shut before (but not fully), so the car was able to lock but the door was neither shut nor open. Yours sounds different though if it was wide open! :O

........But upon checking it was simply that my wife had inadvertently left her door open ......

How did she take it? ........... the divorce I mean :whistle2:

Reactions: Tom.H, The Kendragon, azibux1 and 1 other person
She understood - I mean it wasn’t as if it was something as minor as an affair. This was MY CAR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Tom.H and azibux1
My colleague left the door to her 09 A4 open the other day. Actually it was open in the staff car park overnight and I saw it open when I came in the next day! Closed the door and the car armed itself. She said she remembered locking it but certainly no alert to say the door was still open!

Reactions: glospete and Audi Bairn
I did a full test this morning and results were:
  • If I leave the driver's door open and press the fob to lock, nothing happens - no clunk, no flashing of indicators.
  • If I leave any of the other doors open then I get the clunk and flashing and to all intents and purposes it appears as though it's locked. If I then close the open door it arms itself.
So my question is whether this is normal or is a fault. The post from suzannec and her colleague's A4 demonstrates the same thing as mine.

I did a full test this morning and results were:
  • If I leave the driver's door open and press the fob to lock, nothing happens - no clunk, no flashing of indicators.
  • If I leave any of the other doors open then I get the clunk and flashing and to all intents and purposes it appears as though it's locked. If I then close the open door it arms itself.
So my question is whether this is normal or is a fault. The post from suzannec and her colleague's A4 demonstrates the same thing as mine.

This differs from mine in the way that if the passengers door is open and I lock it I get the cluck with not flashes. If I then close the door I get the flashes.

Not locked it when the drivers door is open so can't confirm if this is the same.

Reactions: glospete
Normal, all my cars have this and none have ever given me any warning if a door is left open..

Hmm. Interesting that there is a difference between josul's and cuke2u's. I think this has made me decide to use VCDS to set the Acoustic Alarm on lock so that should warn me.

Just tested this. If any door is left open, the car will not lock nor flash the indicators.

Do the indicators flash once you close the door?

I am sure it when I press to lock before wor lass has closed her door I hear the doors lock - have never tried to open doors at this point as I am always halfway up the drive but will give it a go tonight!

Just tested this. If any door is left open, the car will not lock nor flash the indicators.

So perhaps it is model/year related? What model and year is yours? Mine is 2014 A3 1.4COD.

Handy feature on the MK5 Mondeo is that if you try to remote lock with a door, boot or bonnet left open it will sound two pips of the horn to let you know something is open

My previous Hyundai did exactly the same - a simple but effective feature.

My previous Hyundai did exactly the same - a simple but effective feature.

Hyundai?!... That's it... Get out! :p hahaha

Reactions: josul, glospete and Audi Bairn
2014 A3 Sport here. Every day whilst going to the gym/shops/work I use this procedure. I get out of the car, close drivers door, lift boot lid, lock car with remote, mirrors go in & I hear the clunk which is the fuel filler cap I think, then I get the shopping/gym bag out & then close the boot. Upon closing the boot I get a singular flash of all indicators to signal that car is locked. This same 1 flash after all doors are closed happens if it is the boot or any door that is open but then closed after locking the car.

1 thing to note is that I hear the fuel filler cap being locked, as described above by myself & everyone else, before I see the flashes when I lower the boot. However, i don't know if the driver & passengers side door is in fact locked at the same time the fuel filler cap is. ill have to check. I would assume that all will be locked but there are no flashes as the boot is open, the flash is there to indicate its completely locked.

Last edited:
I checked the locking procedure on mine (2017 A3). If I keep any of the passenger doors open and press the lock button I hear the locks triggering and the doors are actually locked however one can still enter the car. Once the door is closed there is a single flash to confirm that the car is locked. The car however cannot he locked if the driver door is left open. In my previous car (a Peugeot 206) one cannot lock the car unless all the 4 doors are properly locked. In my wife's Hyundai one can engage the central lock even with one passenger door open.

So I feel I should admit that I was a caravanner also. Now I will be banned from this forum

Hahaha *looks for report user button* :D

But now I'm like a reformed smoker - I think caravanners are the epitome of road devilworship . Only joking - just!