Defective Wiper Warning

GHoTiHeDD

Reaction score
Hey all,
First time audi owner here! I have a 2012 a4 s line fwd. About 2 months ago my car started with the defective wiper warning. The wipers work most of the time, even with the warning light on. Every once in a while they won't work at all, which seems to only happen when I use the auto/intermittent setting on the stalk. When this happens, I run the wiper stalk theough all of it's positions. Most of the time this works and I don't have any problems for a while. Sometimes I have to shut the car off and restart it to get them to work. Once they start moving, they don't stop and work well through all of the wiper speeds except the auto/intermittent setting which doesn't seem to work right with any regularity. With the car off, the wiper arms move relatively easy, meaning nothing feels loose or stripped out (gears in the motor?) I was wondering if there is an effective troubleshoot to see if my problem is the linkage, the motor, the stalk, or the intermittent wiper relay. Also, and please forgive my German automobile ignorance, will the defective wiper warning come on if the wiper blades are old or worn down?