Car still not right

Broken Byzan

Photographic Moderator
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Is this as close as the marks go? I cant see one tooth making it right,if anything it would go the other way.

This was done before i had the car.

27052007123.jpg

27052007122.jpg

Ok she runs,but takes lots of winding to start, It seems to rev ok,warmed up nicely,drops to tick over afer a rev ok. The thing is if i stop her,she is as difficult to start the next time.In fact she would nearly go but then the battery showed signs of waging so i let off.

No VAG codes, the temp sensor looks new ( before i had her) anything else anyone can think of?

Not having done this proceedure on the Audi I can specifically comment but as a general rule, I would not put a car back together if the marks were that far out, thats about 4-5 degrees out on the right hand cam.

Neither would i mate,it was like that before i dropped it in, i failed to notice when swapping the cam cover is what irritates me GGRRR.

Its right now

With a change of plugs,from (Bosch super 4s to NGK summats) she starts everytime, i have done 10 whole miles in her,and WOW what a difference.:jump: :jump: :wub:

I am waiting for her to cool down to double check it will go ok,then i am to go around local for a run to see what happens. The temps look good,all fluids are holding,no more funny smells now the splilt oils and coolant have burnt off either.

I will get a vid of her going and attempt to log boost and maf settings to see whats what inside her brain.

Glad to hear its all working okay, and i wasn't having a dig at you in any way. Just so you know.:)

A4Quattro said:
Glad to hear its all working okay, and i wasn't having a dig at you in any way. Just so you know.:)

I knew that mate. I would never run it like that intenetionaly,lol :no:

She runs ok, smokes a bit on high boost,but thats why i have bought the K04 to go on. Shame its not here as yet bloomin hoilidays.I payed for it nearly 3 weeks ago,probably stuck in customs :think:

It's boosting @ around 9psi ish and spiking to 12 ish,as best as i can fathom,so i am well happy. Fingers crossed:o.k:

Glad to hear shes running now all the best m8! when you bought the 1.8T was you told it was running ok?

Yes i was,but it wasnt running on this management,if it wasnt for the newer type managment,i may never have noticed the cam timing being out TBH

It runs very well,no untoward rattles etc.I will put a list together at some point to make people aware of the requirements of this kind of swap/conversion

Not been on here for a bit, good work on the conversion mate !

The chain looks ok to me, should be 16 rollers iirc in between the marks you put on the cam sprockets, the pointers on the bearing caps aren''t meant to line up they are to denote the caps orientation.

Basically as long as its been marked up when taken off you cant get it just a little wrong its either totally wrong or right

Has the head just been rebuilt ?

Glad its sorted anyway

The head was rebuilt before i had the eng, It worked out to be a tooth out,as it was throwing a cam sensor code.I reset the inlet cam,i now have the squares aligned with the caps,and 16 teeth between ish( as the one is off to the left as per spec)

It runs well IMO. Not got one to compare to. I am just waiting for my K04 to turn up so i can save like the devil to get a remap done,i am fancying custom code

Hows your car now Phil?

Mine was easier with me taking the head to bits litterally marked it up lifted it off with the chain and put it back the same way.

Done a thousand miles since it all went back together seems ok (fingers remain crossed)

After having a 1300 jetta years ago that used to eat headgaskets i hate doing them to be honest, thats the biggest thing that worries me but i went for the Elring one which is meant to be original equipment and is what a lot of tuners recommend

If you are holding 9psi it sound like there has already been a map of sorts, what ecu are you tunning ?

OEM Ecu,came from a VW passat as did the wiring etc. It has a 558 suffix,I thought we were supposed to get 8 PSI anyway,and i have the N75 thingy fitted and i though that would up by 1 or 2.

I have only done 30 miles in this, some blasts,some cruising.She is completely different to drive from my old NA due to the power delivery.

You going to GTI?

Nice fella, that was a quick turnround as well, whee in the states didi you get your K04??

Chris, i got mine from Ebay.com, from the good old US of A. I think it worked out at 350 ish posted with insurance.

If it ever turns up anyway.

i would love to mate but funds are low as per usual, god damn mortage payments are a killer, plus i need 2 tyres. =(