Upgrade from Audi soundsystem?

wwwrich

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've recently bought a 2018 A3 Sportback s-line black edition. I made the mistake of not testing the sound system before buying the car - I wrongly assumed it included a sub. Slo I'm quite disappointed with the overall depth / sound quality in my car so think it would be worth upgrading.

I am looking to upgrade the speakers and add a sub - I want to do this in the most subtle way possible while still getting some decent sound. For the sub I like the idea of building something into the space inside the spare wheel so the overall boot space is not effected. Does anyone have any experience / opinions about:

I'm looking into advice / guides on any of the following
  • Adding a sub and keeping the rest of the sound system the same
  • Replacing the front speakers (and center speaker?) and wether or not this would require a separate amp to maximize the overall sound
  • Similar to above but including the 2 x rear speakers
  • Any solutions / advice to mount any extra equipment such as amplifiers in the most subtle way possible - I want to be able to hear the audio equipment rather than see it....

Thanks in advance for any help / pointers :rock:

Audi sound system includes a D&M spare wheel sub. Are you sure you got the Audi Sound system or just the normal one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For less than the price of the JBL you can get @DJAlix to retrofit the Audi Sound System (addition of the OEM spare wheel sub and a centre dashboard speaker) and code it as if it were factory fitted for a perfect OEM fit with 2 year Audi warranty (he'll honour it or your local Audi dealer). That's what I did on my PFL S3. He's based in North London so a bit of a drive from you though.

Audi sound system includes a D&M spare wheel sub. Are you sure you got the Audi Sound system or just the normal one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought that the S-line Black edition included the Audi Sound System as one of the extras vs the regular S-line

I made the same mistake as you. Currently still on the basic sound system with both bass and treble turned to about 3 oclock. It sounds quite a lot better than when flat, but it doesn't go very loud because the inbuilt limiter soon starts kicking in due to the bass boost.

What is your budget? There is a chap on here called DJalix who can retrofit the audi system sub and centre speaker for not much money (a few hundred quid IIRC). I'm not sure how much better this is, probably a bit but not a lot since the additional sub output is only getting about 80watts from the head unit (better than nowt, though). But, what that does provide is a usable feed to the boot that can be used as an input to a better sub (passive in a box, active, or an amp to drive a passive). A better sub in the boot hopefully means that the bass on the headunit can be turn right down meaning a fair bit more overall volume.

Or you could go down the route of getting something like an audison AP F8.9 power amp under the seat, which takes a feed direct from the head unit and utilises the existing wiring to drive the existing speakers and also can drive a decent sub in the boot. Not cheap these units though.

I thought that the S-line Black edition included the Audi Sound System as one of the extras vs the regular S-line
Not sure - my friend has a 2018 S3 Black Edition which has B&O but maybe you didn't get it as it's an A3.

I made the same mistake as you. Currently still on the basic sound system with both bass and treble turned to about 3 oclock. It sounds quite a lot better than when flat, but it doesn't go very loud because the inbuilt limiter soon starts kicking in due to the bass boost.

What is your budget? There is a chap on here called DJalix who can retrofit the audi system sub and centre speaker for not much money (a few hundred quid IIRC). I'm not sure how much better this is, probably a bit but not a lot since the additional sub output is only getting about 80watts from the head unit (better than nowt, though). But, what that does provide is a usable feed to the boot that can be used as an input to a better sub (passive in a box, active, or an amp to drive a passive). A better sub in the boot hopefully means that the bass on the headunit can be turn right down meaning a fair bit more overall volume.

Or you could go down the route of getting something like an audison AP F8.9 power amp under the seat, which takes a feed direct from the head unit and utilises the existing wiring to drive the existing speakers and also can drive a decent sub in the boot. Not cheap these units though.

It was under £300 when I did it a few months ago. It's probably not the best sub out there but a hell of an improvement in my eyes (or ears!) and he can further upgrade the front door speakers for an additional £40 if required.

For less than the price of the JBL you can get @DJAlix to retrofit the Audi Sound System (addition of the OEM spare wheel sub and a centre dashboard speaker) and code it as if it were factory fitted for a perfect OEM fit with 2 year Audi warranty (he'll honour it or your local Audi dealer). That's what I did on my PFL S3. He's based in North London so a bit of a drive from you though.
This is weird as it seems I already have a working center speaker. I'll take another look at the spare wheel in the boot - I'm pretty sure theres not a sub in there, and if there is I cant hear it... I'm just not that impressed with the overall quality of the sound system. I've got a Sonos sound system at home so maybe I'm spoilt by what decent depth / bass sounds like in a relatively compact setup.

That interesting, I could get in touch with @DJAlix to find out more about what he could suggest/recommend. I've been in touch with a local company about upgrading the sound system and it does sound pretty expensive. I've heard/read a lot about people upgrading the sub that comes with the B&O sound system so not sure if going down the OEM route would be best if its not much difference in price to add something more custom if it will lead to a better overall sound

Not sure - my friend has a 2018 S3 Black Edition which has B&O but maybe you didn't get it as it's an A3..
My understanding would be with a Black Edition I'd have an Audi Sound System unless I upgraded to the comfort and sound pack where I'd get a B&O sound system

This is weird as it seems I already have a working center speaker. I'll take another look at the spare wheel in the boot - I'm pretty sure theres not a sub in there, and if there is I cant hear it... I'm just not that impressed with the overall quality of the sound system. I've got a Sonos sound system at home so maybe I'm spoilt by what decent depth / bass sounds like in a relatively compact setup.

That interesting, I could get in touch with @DJAlix to find out more about what he could suggest/recommend. I've been in touch with a local company about upgrading the sound system and it does sound pretty expensive. I've heard/read a lot about people upgrading the sub that comes with the B&O sound system so not sure if going down the OEM route would be best if its not much difference in price to add something more custom if it will lead to a better overall sound
@DJAlix solution includes adding sub control to your MMI so it really is as if you had installed at the factory. He's one of the only people in the world that can do this.

I'm not sure on budget yet - I can appreciate it might not be cheap if theres a lot of parts to fit etc. I am not sure if I can achieve what I want by connecting an active sub. I dont want a sub box in the boot though taking up space - i might prefer the idea of utilising the space inside the spare wheel - either by one of the two products in the original post or building something custom. I could probably design and build a custom box but I would need some help / resources with what components I would need. I.e the sub and amp and wether or not it could be connected 'easily' to the existing soundsystem without any additional parts etc

I'm not sure when you want to do this - if you can wait a bit, I'll be in Leeds (Harrogate side) in a few weeks if you wanted to have a listen to the upgraded sound system

I'm not sure when you want to do this - if you can wait a bit, I'll be in Leeds (Harrogate side) in a few weeks if you wanted to have a listen to the upgraded sound system
Oh right sweet that sounds good. I'm actually in South Yorkshire (Barnsley) at the moment but am often in and around Leeds / Harrogate so would be up for checking it out. So do you have the OEM audi sound system / sub?

Oh your blurb said Harrogate. Yeah I had the retrofit Audi sound system sub and centre console speaker done

On my spec sheet it says my 19 s3 has Audi sound system but it doesn't have a sub in the boot ? confused

@DJAlix solution includes adding sub control to your MMI so it really is as if you had installed at the factory. He's one of the only people in the world that can do this.

I’m pretty sure more people than you can imagine can do this, lol.

If you have a sedan, the sub is located at the rear shelf, FL is missing the MMI sub control on most of them and it's default set to like the lowest possible that's why it sounded bad... No way around except aftermarket sub ATM for Audi Sound System, B&O tho, has a fix to update the firmware to bring back sub control.

Not according to @DJAlix and I mean code it exactly like a factory order, not just retrofit

I know, but I’ve seen at least 3 people achieve this. I know for one Audi Retrofits do it, and I’ve seen some videos on YouTube.

On the subject of speaker upgrades - does anyone bother with the rear 2 x speakers with upgrades? I went to an car audio shop and they basically said that they're not worth upgrading. Given that my system sounds pretty disappointing I seemed to make an improvement to the sound quality by adjusting the volume on the two rear speakers so that they play louder than the front speakers. That way when I turn the volume up it creates a bit more depth to the sound without it sounding as bad as it did before. Maybe this wouldn't be necessary if I had a sub. Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Not sure - my friend has a 2018 S3 Black Edition which has B&O but maybe you didn't get it as it's an A3.

It was under £300 when I did it a few months ago. It's probably not the best sub out there but a hell of an improvement in my eyes (or ears!) and he can further upgrade the front door speakers for an additional £40 if required.

Didnt know that (about the door speakers). thanks :)

I'm not sure on budget yet - I can appreciate it might not be cheap if theres a lot of parts to fit etc. I am not sure if I can achieve what I want by connecting an active sub. I dont want a sub box in the boot though taking up space - i might prefer the idea of utilising the space inside the spare wheel - either by one of the two products in the original post or building something custom. I could probably design and build a custom box but I would need some help / resources with what components I would need. I.e the sub and amp and wether or not it could be connected 'easily' to the existing soundsystem without any additional parts etc

I understand on the boot space. I had a small box with a 12" in my old a3 (took one of the feeds from the bose sub and connected to that instead, sounded better: went much deeper and louder). The box was then anchored to one of the boot anchor points using a strap, so I could disconnect it and take it out in seconds if I needed the space, which was rarely.
Cant say Ive thought much about alternatives yet but one possibility is to somehow incorporate the compartment / void on the right side of the boot where the car tools are located (and perhaps move the tools to under the seat). I'm not sure how easy it would be to make that into a sealed enclosure.

It may also be possible to fit a better driver into where the A S S sub would normally go. Perhaps consider using a PA speaker driver of a similar size. PA drivers tend to have much higher output and at a much greater efficiency (some are closer to 100db at 1 watt / 1 meter rather than 90db which is more typical in hifi and car audio). In fact one of these in place of the standard A S S sub driver may provide a decent enough output for the supplied 80watts. I dont know. The higher power handling usually means a big old magnet on the back so it may not actually fit.

Otherwise, if you want something good its likely that a compromise will have to be made by giving up some boot space. I dont think these space saving / slim line units which can go under the seats are much cop.

Didnt know that (about the door speakers). thanks :)
Neither did I until I was there having the work done! TBH I'm happy with the sound quality and loudness without this upgrade, even with my res and valve deletes the music is plenty loud enough to drown the exhaust noise out!

Neither did I until I was there having the work done! TBH I'm happy with the sound quality and loudness without this upgrade, even with my res and valve deletes the music is plenty loud enough to drown the exhaust noise out!

If it allowed me to turn the bass back to 12 oclock giving me a few more notches on the gain before it starts smashing the limiter id be happy :)

I'm going to try and find out more about what I have fitted on my car.
As I thought the black edition does come with the 'Audi Sound System'

https://ibb.co/Z633r5x
https://ibb.co/9m0tWqT

My spec sheet says 'Audi Sound System with 10 speakers' but it doesn't specify what speakers they are or if it should include a sub. I am wondering if Audi changed what the Audi Sound System is and maybe stopped including a sub. So not sure if getting an upgrade to the front speakers would be an actual upgrade or would it be the same speakers I already have :rolleyes new:

I understand on the boot space. I had a small box with a 12" in my old a3 (took one of the feeds from the bose sub and connected to that instead, sounded better: went much deeper and louder). The box was then anchored to one of the boot anchor points using a strap, so I could disconnect it and take it out in seconds if I needed the space, which was rarely.
Cant say Ive thought much about alternatives yet but one possibility is to somehow incorporate the compartment / void on the right side of the boot where the car tools are located (and perhaps move the tools to under the seat). I'm not sure how easy it would be to make that into a sealed enclosure.

It may also be possible to fit a better driver into where the A S S sub would normally go. Perhaps consider using a PA speaker driver of a similar size. PA drivers tend to have much higher output and at a much greater efficiency (some are closer to 100db at 1 watt / 1 meter rather than 90db which is more typical in hifi and car audio). In fact one of these in place of the standard A S S sub driver may provide a decent enough output for the supplied 80watts. I dont know. The higher power handling usually means a big old magnet on the back so it may not actually fit.

Otherwise, if you want something good its likely that a compromise will have to be made by giving up some boot space. I dont think these space saving / slim line units which can go under the seats are much cop.
Its definitely something I'll think more about. I do like the idea of having a sub inside the spare wheel. Either the OEM Audi sub or Pioneer - TS-WX610A / JBL BassPro Hub which seem to have pretty good reviews. I'm not sure if having an actual sub box in my boot would be necessary - although I'm sure it would sound even better and louder!

Me again...!
Question for anyone with the Audi soundsystem inc subwoofer in their boot/spare wheel.

Although I don't have the sub where the spare wheel is, I do have what looks like the cable with the same connector which seems to correspond to the OEM sub.

My car boot:

LdEogQY.jpg

Looks like this connector could be for the sub?
pF39Vqc.jpg

OEM Audi sound system sub:

gTioht1.png

b4WUmRp.png

Does anyone know if this would be a case of connecting it up? Or would it need to be coded in as well?

Yeah looks like you've got the wiring already, may just be a case that some bright spark has taken it out! You need to look at your sound settings in MMI to see if you've got a sub control in there, I'm guessing you should have if a sub was in there originally...

Yeah looks like you've got the wiring already, may just be a case that some bright spark has taken it out! You need to look at your sound settings in MMI to see if you've got a sub control in there, I'm guessing you should have if a sub was in there originally...
Ok I've ordered it so will find out next week if it works..!!!! Was £65 so not super expensive if it might make my sound system more balanced without forking out for a full upgrade...

I have only got controls for left/right front/back as far as I have seen. I'll do some more looking though.. If not I'll be sure to come back with extra questions of how to get it to work :worked till 5am:

Me again...!
Question for anyone with the Audi soundsystem inc subwoofer in their boot/spare wheel.

Although I don't have the sub where the spare wheel is, I do have what looks like the cable with the same connector which seems to correspond to the OEM sub.

My car boot:

LdEogQY.jpg

pF39Vqc.jpg

gTioht1.png

b4WUmRp.png

Does anyone know if this would be a case of connecting it up? Or would it need to be coded in as well?
Thats a Factory Audi Sound System Sub connector housing. Can tell by the tube / shielding in use. 100% there was a sub in there at some stage. Your MMI not having a Subwoofer control is a software issue with your MMI.

Your MMI not having a Subwoofer control is a software issue with your MMI.
And one which Audi have well and truly booted into the long grass, hoping that everybody affected gets bored with asking where their subwoofer control is.

So far, their cunning plan seems to be working pretty well.

Reactions: Gordon Stewart
Me again...!

My car boot:

LdEogQY.jpg

pF39Vqc.jpg

gTioht1.png

b4WUmRp.png

I didn't realise this was the sub :whistle2: i guess i have audi sound system then :icon thumright:

Thats a Factory Audi Sound System Sub connector housing. Can tell by the tube / shielding in use. 100% there was a sub in there at some stage. Your MMI not having a Subwoofer control is a software issue with your MMI.
Thanks for the info. I've asked the dealer about this where I bought the car and they acknowledged that the subwoofer if missing and they will sort it out...

Reactions: HertS3
Update: I fitted the Audi OEM sub and its made everything sound much much better than it did before. I dont have the seperate sub control on the MMI so don't know what difference it would make, but just adding the sub has made the soundsystem sound 100 x better. I actually shouldn't have bothered to order / pay for this myself as when I did get in touch with the dealer they are sourcing a sub for me - I will probably put the extra sub on ebay.

What I'm not sure about now if its worth bothering looking into the separate sub control. Sounds like theres potential seperate issues that could be introduced by modifying the MMI to include separate sub volume control?

What I'm not sure about now if its worth bothering looking into the separate sub control. Sounds like theres potential seperate issues that could be introduced by modifying the MMI to include separate sub volume control?
If you manage to get yourself a subwoofer volume control, please don't be shy about explaining how you did it.

There are dozens and dozens of peeps whose Audi Sound System-equipped cars came without it and who'd love to know, including me.

Good luck...

Last edited:
Reactions: dp_motley, Mikeso51 and tquattro
If you manage to get yourself a subwoofer volume control, please don't be shy about explaining how you did it.

There are dozens and dozens of peeps whose Audi Sound System-equipped cars came without it and who'd love to know, including me.

Good luck...

If I do figure it out I'll be sure to come back and update you - but if I am to figure it out the chances are it will be from someone else on this forum telling me how :witless:

Reactions: tquattro
I drove down south over 3 hours to get the Audi Sound System retrofitted from @DJAlix and one of my best decisions, only regret I didn't get the plus system which he offered to me at the time, which consists of two stronger front speakers.

But now, I feel I want more power and kick to it, but there's a volume limiter which kicks in when bass is too high or for me when I turn the volume above 19.
If I were to get an aftermarket amplifer to boost the frequency, would it work to be louder, or will the inbuilt limiter still be there?? :blink:

I drove down south over 3 hours to get the Audi Sound System retrofitted from @DJAlix and one of my best decisions, only regret I didn't get the plus system which he offered to me at the time, which consists of two stronger front speakers.

But now, I feel I want more power and kick to it, but there's a volume limiter which kicks in when bass is too high or for me when I turn the volume above 19.
If I were to get an aftermarket amplifer to boost the frequency, would it work to be louder, or will the inbuilt limiter still be there?? :blink:

That's good to hear. I'll make the jump to do the same myself at some point hopefully soon.

RE: aftermarket amp. The inbuilt limiter will always be there, but since this would be acting as a source feeding an aftermarket amp then providing you dont hit the limiter on the headunit (never go above 19) then the output of that amp can be as loud as you want i.e. set the gains on the amp to be the max level you want to hear at the point the limiter starts kicking in. If you want more midrange from the A S S to compensate for the added bass then turn the bass down and main volume up on the headunit, the output from the aftermarket sub should still be more or less the same at the point the limiter starts kicking in.

Reactions: Wing Lun
That's good to hear. I'll make the jump to do the same myself at some point hopefully soon.

RE: aftermarket amp. The inbuilt limiter will always be there, but since this would be acting as a source feeding an aftermarket amp then providing you dont hit the limiter on the headunit (never go above 19) then the output of that amp can be as loud as you want i.e. set the gains on the amp to be the max level you want to hear at the point the limiter starts kicking in. If you want more midrange from the A S S to compensate for the added bass then turn the bass down and main volume up on the headunit, the output from the aftermarket sub should still be more or less the same at the point the limiter starts kicking in.

Useful insight thank you. I was quoted £300 for a 600W amplifier which would either fit in the boot side compartment or under the passenger seat replicating the B&O position. Either way I think I'll stay put with the Audi Sound System which was retrofitted, just be grateful lol cause other drivers just have the standard system which I can tell you now is bland:help: