07 steering rack problems

HeliChris

Learning to fly 3D
Reaction score
Hi All

Has anyone experienced steering rack problems on a 07 model, you know at around 2000 miles its starts creaking when turning left (not right) at parking speeds? It appeared to be a problem last year until a modified rack was released last in February, so has the problem returned or have I just got a rogue part fitted to my 07 A3.

Chris.

You know what mate - my car just got back from the dealers after having a transit suff sorted.

Took it out for a spin and noticed that the stearing was creaking - very quiet, but noticed something.
When I got back it had stopped.
I'll keep you posted on mine - it's just covered 2200 miles.

i used to have this on a w reg vectra gsi i had a few years back - it was awful but never did get to the bottom of it, had a new rack on it but it still did it... have to say never noticed it on A3's only thing i have noticed is if you turn the wheel fast at low speeds ie maneuvring in a car park etc, you can feel the steering weight up cos it cant keep up with fast movements

There was a number of posts on here at the begining of 2006, and most ended up with a rack replacement, time for a dealer visit.

:(

Chris.

Had an 06 GTI that had this fault, VW replaced mine and lots of others under warranty with a new rack which cured the fault, at the time they claimed a rogue batch had been manufactured and fitted to o6 cars between a certain build date, no safety issues just an annoying creak at parking speeds, may be worth investigating further with your dealers.

Spin

Creaking? Is that full lock at about 5-10mph?

HeliChris said:
Hi All

Has anyone experienced steering rack problems on a 07 model, you know at around 2000 miles its starts creaking when turning left (not right) at parking speeds? It appeared to be a problem last year until a modified rack was released last in February, so has the problem returned or have I just got a rogue part fitted to my 07 A3.

Chris.

It's a very common fault.

I had it on my car (bought last Sept), and the dealer replaced the rack. But the problem is now back again with the new rack. I can't really be bothered to get it replaced again.

This is starnge, thought I noticed mine doing this in the car park i go in for work but thought I was going mad! Mine's done nearly 9200 miles now but its been like it for a while....

Going to visit my dealer very soon me thinks and also my brakes squeal at low speeds (5mph) mainly when turning right. Also I think my car falls in to this re-mapping issue due to idling revs being too low or something as it feels like its going to stall sometimes when sitting still.

oh joy....

funguf said:
Creaking? Is that full lock at about 5-10mph?

No not full lock, just the first 30 degrees or so, left turn after a right turn regardless of the wheel position.

Fingers crossed on a fix

Chris,

Well mine hasn't done it again since, so maybe just because it hadn't been used for a while!

Mine creaks when i turn the steering left.

Mines a 11/05 car.

I had my car done a few months ago. It was creaking when i bought it. it's a common problem with the GTi's also.
OK for now fingers crossed

700 miles on my new S3 and i though it was me when it started creaking yesterday...

Very strange this is not sorted on new cars built in in the last couple of months, given the posts here. :asskicking:

Will be off to see the dealer! :motz: Shocking, quite shocking!

Just back from the dealer

My 07 car needs a new steering rack

Chris...

HeliChris said:
Just back from the dealer

My 07 car needs a new steering rack

Chris...

Thats totally shocking!

I would be definately complaining big style. Just hope mine does not start....

yes!!! specially in a car that is not a new design, by now they should have all these BASIC engineering problems sorted I would think...

Mine does not have this yet but it would not surprise me... Still loving it though! ;)

Pedro

Mine creaks in reverse on a left-hand-down turn.

07 plate.

Can't be ***** getting fixed...

My September 2005 Sportback 3.2 creaked on turning left (low parking speeds most noticeable)

Got it replaced sometime early 2006 with a modified rack which I was told had come out in Feb 2006 to cure the (common) problem. Not had a problem since in 16k miles, although I was told by the dealer that they were still issuing replacement racks at the time which had not been updated!

Can't believe that new cars are still having the same problem now! Or maybe I can to be honest. I had 3 racks in total on my first 3.2 from the middle of 2004!

Keep the pressure on - you might get a lucky replacement rack that works ok!

Hi - I picked up one of the first new S3's in South Africa about 3 weeks ago, and after just a few hundred km's the noise (like a creaking old CV joint) started appearing, at parking speeds, when turning to the left only.

Car is getting a new steering rack.

I'm also taking this further with Audi SA. Totally unacceptable.

Mines started creaking at 4000 miles might leave it for a couple of thousand miles and see if it dissapears

Mine is with 5000 miles and so far so good... or at least I have not noticed anything yet...

Pedro

I have got an annoying squeek coming from the front at low speed, mostly on left turns, is this likely to be a similar problem. Car has had a service and MOT and nothing has been found, typically it doesn't do it when it is at the garage as it is an intermittant noise!

Is it an expensive problem to fix and is it really worthwhile? Its more annoying than affecting how the car drives.

It was a very common problem with golf's and A3'a supposed to be a bad batch of steering racks on 05/06 cars. It's possible that your squeek could be the same problem best get it checked by a dealer, my test drive was about 20 seconds long, and about 5 foot, (and that was to prove the problem twice)

The rack was replaced under warranty so I have no idea how much to would cost outside warranty.

So far no problems.

Chris.

Had this on my 2005 SB, ended up having the rack replaced twice.

And, joy of joys, had my new one delivered this morning, 94 miles on it, and the steering creaks.

LOL!