More Issues

89krisd

Reaction score
Hi again,

I have posted a couple times before and this forum is quality for getting some guidance and help.

New s3 owner (not even had the car out the garage yet) so any help would be great.

So far I have had the sump off and cleaned. New pick up pipe. Changed the crank position sensor and fitted a new starter motor.

Issue 1 - the engine has now developed a ticking/knocking noise. Rather than trying to explain it a have uploaded a video on YouTube.

Issue 2 - I tried to get the engine up to temperature to do an oil flush but when it gets up to temp the car idle starts hunting then the car dies.

So far from what I have read it could be the cam tensioner for the noise and not sure about the bad idle when the car is warm.

Still waiting on a vag com cable being delivered but thought I would try here while waiting.

Sorry for the long post and any info would be great.

Thanks in advance

Difficult to isolate on the vid as the sound is non directional but typically this is the sound a piston hitting a squirter makes after a bent rod...

<tuffty/>

Difficult to isolate on the vid as the sound is non directional but typically this is the sound a piston hitting a squirter makes after a bent rod...

<tuffty/>

So am guessing by your reply if the sound is more central then looking like a bent rod but if more to the side possibly chain tensioner??

Cheers for the reply mate

Plausible but this is more a cyclic noise...

If a tensioner pad was damaged and the chain hitting the metal it would be a more constant rattle than a cyclic knock

Easy to eliminate though... Just take the cam cover off and look

<tuffty/>

Plausible but this is more a cyclic noise...

If a tensioner pad was damaged and the chain hitting the metal it would be a more constant rattle than a cyclic knock

Easy to eliminate though... Just take the cam cover off and look

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry for asking a lot of questions.

Is there any test/check I can do with the rocker cover off to see if I do have a bent rod??

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry for asking a lot of questions.

Is there any test/check I can do with the rocker cover off to see if I do have a bent rod??

You would need to take the sump off to see if you physically have bent a rob but you could just take the plugs out and use a stick or long screwdriver (like finding TDC the old skool way) and rotate to the top of the stroke...

You can then measure the 'height' the stick/screwdriver on each cylinder and see if any are lower than the other (bent rod will sit the piston lower at top of stroke)

Typically only one rod will bend so should be obvious which one it is if it is indeed bent

<tuffty/>

You would need to take the sump off to see if you physically have bent a rob but you could just take the plugs out and use a stick or long screwdriver (like finding TDC the old skool way) and rotate to the top of the stroke...

You can then measure the 'height' the stick/screwdriver on each cylinder and see if any are lower than the other (bent rod will sit the piston lower at top of stroke)

Typically only one rod will bend so should be obvious which one it is if it is indeed bent

<tuffty/>

Perfect mate will check that the next opportunity a get.

Out of curiosity if it isn't that any other ideas on what to check??