S3 rear wheels spinning!

Lhasa2008

Reaction score
Evening All! For some probably a nice problem to have! But does anyone else have this 'problem'?

After fitting a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport4 tyres on the front, the OEM Continentals on rear wheels would just spin up if the road whenever the weather was cold or wet, at pretty much any speed and even at part throttle. For example, foot down in third gear (ESC on) the rear wheels will start spinning as the revs build up at say 55mph.

Figuring that having new tyres up front and worn tyres on the rear was the cause of this, I fitted new Michelin Pilot Sport4's to the rear. The problem is that the rear wheels are still spinning. No wheel spin from the front, but both rear wheels CLUNKING and spinning in the rain and when the weather is chilly <10 DegC. This is with ESC on too.

Obviously I understand that the Michelins are Summer tyres, but surely they should be able to cope with a bit of rain? Before I take it to the dealers, can anyone help shed light on this? Unfortunately I don't have access to check for error codes, but there are no errors displayed on the dash.

Just to mention that the car was a complete liability and damn right dangerous in the snow, due to the above issue. I was expecting much more from having Quattro. :anguished:

Any advice welcome. Any info will be useful to avoid being fobbed off with 'that's normal sir. they all do that' dealer excuses.

Thanks

Lhasa

S3 isn't "proper" quattro. Sounds to me like an issue with the haldex system. Likely the filter is blocked
Take it to an independent and get them to change the oil and clean the filter in the haldex system.

Few threads on this forum with a similar issue and this was the cause of the problem. Audi will be clueless.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lhasa2008, CHEZ, MuPPeT_ON_TouR and 1 other person
Pump is broken. Had similar. Front spun. Filter gauze was blocked. Changed pump £220. Spot on no wheel spin. Car shouldn't spin at all.

Reactions: Lhasa2008
S3 isn't "proper" quattro. Sounds to me like an issue with the haldex system. Likely the filter is blocked
Take it to an independent and get them to change the oil and clean the filter in the haldex system.

Few threads on this forum with a similar issue and this was the cause of the problem. Audi will be clueless.

That's what I was thinking. The car is still under warranty, but would trust an independent more than Audi if it is just an oil/filter clean issue.
I have never had this problem ever with my Golf 4Motion :pensive:

Didn’t think it was possible to spin just the rear wheels. The haldex isn’t like a differential it apportion torque from front to the rears and max 50% of it. If rears were to start losing traction the power should go to the front and then the front should start spinning. In a worse case scenario it should be all 4 wheels spinning, surprisingly not that difficult to do in a wet roundabout.
As for your snow issues that’s what happens when you use summer rubber in the winter but that’s another debate already on another thread.

Didn’t think it was possible to spin just the rear wheels. The haldex isn’t like a differential it apportion torque from front to the rears and max 50% of it. If rears were to start losing traction the power should go to the front and then the front should start spinning. In a worse case scenario it should be all 4 wheels spinning, surprisingly not that difficult to do in a wet roundabout.
As for your snow issues that’s what happens when you use summer rubber in the winter but that’s another debate already on another thread.

>Didn’t think it was possible to spin just the rear wheels.
I didn't either!

>As for your snow issues that’s what happens when you use summer rubber in the winter
Agreed. I've got full Winters on my 4Motion so I know the difference. But the Quattro was completely undrivable in the snow. Zero grip, zero control. :(

>Didn’t think it was possible to spin just the rear wheels.
I didn't either!

>As for your snow issues that’s what happens when you use summer rubber in the winter
Agreed. I've got full Winters on my 4Motion so I know the difference. But the Quattro was completely undrivable in the snow. Zero grip, zero control. :(
Quattro isn't a all weather survival option, despite the adverts say. Plenty of.videos showing 4WD on summers Vs RWD on winters etc.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

300bhp on snowy / icy roads and even 4wd will not defy the laws of physics. Personally I like it going all over the shop in bad conditions, and when it does snow I purposefully go out hunting slippery roads to do just that. Its quite fun, and good practice for knowing how to handle the car if it gets out of shape when you don't expect it :)

@Lhasa2008 sounds similar to what I had, my car had a dodgy Haldex pump though surprisingly it seemed to sort itself out once I had Haldex oil change and gauze clean and error code reset on the car. My car got stuck when I had to stop on an icy incline, all wheels were spinning. Not been icy since I had the issue but had no wheel spin whatsoever since. I've got Michelin PS4 all round.