Got the Car Back from Audi.....

Audi Ashley

Reaction score
So guys I have got my car back after Audi had it for 2 days to look at 2 main issues i was concerned with.

1. When in COD mode at under 30mph speed the engine is very tappity. Sounds like metal rattling.

2. Once engine has got up to temp there is a noise changing between 3rd and 4th but as the car get even warmer does it when setting off from stand still.

The results.

Young girl comes out and says our techy cant find a fault and no codes and they went on a test drive and heard nothing. They had it up on ramps and checked all technical bulletins and checked the transmission. The only thing they have noticed is your due a transmission fluid change.

I then informed her that its a dry box and doesn't need changing to which she looked embarrassed and said its a computer error. So the we decided to that I would take their senior tech guy for a drive to demonstrate the issues.

I first showed him my actuator rod and how much play there was in it and how it rattled. He looked at me and said nothing. Then got it the car and said how his guys had checked none issues and nothing came up.

I demonstrated the ticking at low speed. albe it was ****** raining so it wasn't the best demo and he said they have had a number of customers complain however audi haven't released any bulletin about it so they are to do nothing. Then i managed to show him the gear cooo noise and he said he was stumped and my guess is and good as his. He then asked where did i buy it from and reminded me that the warranty was about to run out and his advice was extend the warranty. Until Audi release a technical bulletin about the issue they will do nothing. (Im thinking the clutch could be slipping?) Anyway he left it like that will no answers or solutions. He even said the warranty wouldn't really cover the issue. Then he reminded me that the transmission oil needs replacing so I reminded him that again its a dry box which he went off to a terminal and came back and said your right. And that was it. He looked like he cat caught his tongue. Remained silent. Im thinking of contacting Audi HO and making some inquires. What you think guys ?

So guys I have got my car back after Audi had it for 2 days to look at 2 main issues i was concerned with.

1. When in COD mode at under 30mph speed the engine is very tappity. Sounds like metal rattling.

2. Once engine has got up to temp there is a noise changing between 3rd and 4th but as the car get even warmer does it when setting off from stand still.

The results.

Young girl comes out and says our techy cant find a fault and no codes and they went on a test drive and heard nothing. They had it up on ramps and checked all technical bulletins and checked the transmission. The only thing they have noticed is your due a transmission fluid change.

I then informed her that its a dry box and doesn't need changing to which she looked embarrassed and said its a computer error. So the we decided to that I would take their senior tech guy for a drive to demonstrate the issues.

I first showed him my actuator rod and how much play there was in it and how it rattled. He looked at me and said nothing. Then got it the car and said how his guys had checked none issues and nothing came up.

I demonstrated the ticking at low speed. albe it was ****** raining so it wasn't the best demo and he said they have had a number of customers complain however audi haven't released any bulletin about it so they are to do nothing. Then i managed to show him the gear cooo noise and he said he was stumped and my guess is and good as his. He then asked where did i buy it from and reminded me that the warranty was about to run out and his advice was extend the warranty. Until Audi release a technical bulletin about the issue they will do nothing. (Im thinking the clutch could be slipping?) Anyway he left it like that will no answers or solutions. He even said the warranty wouldn't really cover the issue. Then he reminded me that the transmission oil needs replacing so I reminded him that again its a dry box which he went off to a terminal and came back and said your right. And that was it. He looked like he cat caught his tongue. Remained silent. Im thinking of contacting Audi HO and making some inquires. What you think guys ?

Pathetic !!!

But I'd be lying if I posted here I'm surprised .............

Terry

Pretty standard stuff. OEM repair manuals these days don't actually tell the techs how anything works, just a list of symptoms and which bit to replace. If it's not on the list they're ******.
Warranty work has to be approved by Audi. My main dealer had my last car nearly six months in total waiting for Audi in Germany to tell them what they could do and what to try in an attempt to fix it.

Last edited:
Had similar experiences with Audi ‘senior’ techs. Usually grumpy buggers too.

I had to take mine in 3x before they bothered doing anything, probably just because they were fed up of seeing me lol.

Did get an S3 courtesy the last time though :)

Pretty standard stuff unfortunately. If it was me (and you ahve one) I'd take it to an independent to look at. I know with mine they do a much better job and aren't constrained by Audi Germany in that regard.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Spoken to Audi UK and they have escalated it and will be in touch shortly. I have a garage who I could take it to but scared it will invalidate the warranty.

Spoken to Audi UK and they have escalated it and will be in touch shortly. I have a garage who I could take it to but scared it will invalidate the warranty.

Yeah, best to leave it to Audi now. Any other garage who touches it, Audi could then blame something they've done.

Now you've been involved with Audi Customer services, why not state you don't wish to drive the car in case further damage is caused. Insist on a loan car and they can have your while they investigate the faults.

Also get it in writing that all issues will be covered by the current warranty. And even try to get the extended warranty chucked in for free.

Not trying to go against what’s been said here.
The gearbox should still has transmission fluid.
The clutch side is dry if it’s one of the lower powered dsg box but the transmission side should have fluid. That’s how the mechatronics gubbins work. Some were sealed for life which I don’t agree with either.