Possibility of being an S6 owner

Y15HAL

Reaction score
Good Morning All :)

I currently have a BMW F10 530d, and due to ULEZ in London, i'm looking to change it, and may be opting for a 2013 S6 :wub:

I seem to be getting it at trade price and it has been very well looked after (1 owner) and only has 25k on the clock.... :)

Is there anything in particular to look out for on these?

I've heard that brakes are expensive to replace - but these shouldn't need doing until around 40k?

Any input/advice would be most welcome :icon thumright:

Vishal

25k is extremely low mileage for a 2013 car, if you have the registration number, use the MOT checker here to get some history on it.

Is their any service history? Even with low mileage there should be annual checks/oil changes.

Unless it has carbon fibre brakes, the servicing costs are fairly reasonable, and at 25k, should still have plenty of life on them.

At this age, problems may start to show up with the turbo units, in particular the oil feed, which has some potential to fail due to blocked oil mesh filters in the supply lines. A very expensive repair if failure occurs while driving.

Even at trade prices these are still expensive motors, I would recommend an AA/RAC/Independant health check for peace of mind. Even better if backed up by a warranty. :racer:

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
25k is extremely low mileage for a 2013 car, if you have the registration number, use the MOT checker here to get some history on it.

Is their any service history? Even with low mileage there should be annual checks/oil changes.

Unless it has carbon fibre brakes, the servicing costs are fairly reasonable, and at 25k, should still have plenty of life on them.

At this age, problems may start to show up with the turbo units, in particular the oil feed, which has some potential to fail due to blocked oil mesh filters in the supply lines. A very expensive repair if failure occurs while driving.

Even at trade prices these are still expensive motors, I would recommend an AA/RAC/Independant health check for peace of mind. Even better if backed up by a warranty. :racer:

The MOT and service history is good on the car.....

Previous 3 MOT's all look fine, and passed no problems.

Service history has all been with Audi Main Dealer.....

It's a neighbour of my father in law, so i know the car has been looked after :)

All four tyres match too - which is always a bonus!

Wow! That doesn't sound too good!! :| I'll see if i can do some reading on that....

Still worth doing the AA/RAC check even though i know how the car has been cared for?

Thanks

Vishal

Have a read of this forum, it has much more info on the issue.

If your buying privately, without any warranty, I think a health check is a sensible move.

They are great cars, good luck with the purchase

Have a read of this forum, it has much more info on the issue.

If your buying privately, without any warranty, I think a health check is a sensible move.

They are great cars, good luck with the purchase

Just read the first page - doesn't fill me with confidence!! :(

This has put me off the car a little to be honest. Would a health check by the likes of AA/RAC pick up on this issue?

Last edited:
Not every car is impacted by this, and cars that have not had regular oil changes seem to be a bit more susceptible than others.

Forewarned is forearmed as they say, so better you know in advance. This is the only mechanical weakness of the 4.0T engine, and the issue was addressed in later model updates.

If you do go ahead, most people recommend that an oil flush before an oil change helps keep these screen filters clean. I would probably do this soon after purchase.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Y15HAL
I would not not let it put you off buying the car. It's clear that filter is the cause of the issues (lack of oil getting to the turbos) I would just add the cost of changing that filter to the cost of buying the car. I would also make sure you change the oil regularly (10K miles or every year) I change my oil every 5K miles or every 6 months (just before & just after winter) but then I don't have to buy 2/3 bottles of oil just one per change.

Reactions: Y15HAL
Any ideas on the cost of changing this filter?

To be honest, i've been totally put off the idea as i'd be worried of the 'just in case'.......

The car would only be driven around 3k per annum, as i plan to get a little run around to do the small trips around town....

I even thought about adding the audi name component warranty, but this adds another 800 odd to the annual cost of the car......

Also, went to see a BMW 6 series GC yesterday, and now mrs is sold on getting one of them!

Thanks

Vishal

Last edited:

Hi bud.

I had a pretty poor test drive of a FL S6 last year. It was prompted by seeing how capable the platform was, especially in the states. Some easy mods and tweaks transform that thing. Love the look too. Anyway, the sales rep was a dueche and the test was literally up and down a bypass. Pointless.

I pulled the trigger on my dream B8 RS4 after a great deal of research and help from rs246 form owners. I was patient and turned down a lot of cars. Put the milltek on and all was great. 2months in, the problems started. Warped brakes all round, poorly refurbed wheels and creaking sounds. Enough was enough and they took the car back a month ago to get sorted.

Bare with me, there's a point haha. They changed some worn bushes, replaced DRC lines, re-pressurised the system, replaced sports diff and refurbed the wheels. Car looked awesome. But the creaking had gotten worse and was at front and rear. This weekend, the thing just failed. Now there's constant knocking and the car handles even worse. I'm convinced it's the dreaded DRC failure and they've fobbed me off. So I'll be demanding they pick the car up and fixing it. Again.

It's left me feeling pretty jaded I'll be honest and I keep coming back to this S6 platform. The RS4 is such a stunner. An event. The torque 'is' lacking. That can't be ignored. I live in the top end haha. The milltek has made slower driving really exciting. I must admit.

Just wanted to give a bit of context. So, my point, the handling...what have you done to your S7 and how does that chassis with the air suspension handle on the twisty stuff? I know you can lower it in VCDS/VAGCOM etc. Getting more sound is easy enough and a stage 1 seems like a no brainer. But yeah, have you driven the B8 RS4? If so, how did it compare? Any buying advice? I'd like to hold out for a FL as they addressed the turbo issues I believe? If this DRC gets sorted, I'm honestly quite tempted. But I know you've had yours a while. Be great to hear your views. Cheers bud.

PM if it's more appropriate.

Rob.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Y15HAL
Hey Rob,

I’ve been in A3s/6s &7s for about the last 10 years, so no experience of the 4/RS4 platform, sorry.

The earlier RS6s had similar issues with the DRC system, and a lot of people converted them to a standard set up.

I’m on air on the S7 - you may need to check if air is standard on the S6 platform or an option. I’m not sure, as the S7 is not spec’d the same as the S6.

I have a Cete Adaptive Suspension Control module installed, which allows me to dial in any ride height on the fly, from +40mm to -50mm using a Bluetooth connected app. For daily use I’m set up for -20mm Front and Rear. You can see some pics here (Post #4)

I’m on 20” alloys, and the ride is fine, though the lower you go, the harsher the ride becomes!

Had my S7 from new, and now just over 40k Miles. No mechanical issues in that time, just a persistent DAB issue with the MMI.

Went APR Stage 1 a couple of months before it came out of warranty. Still no issues and great fun to drive. Get around 24-28Mpg depending on how I drive.

Cheers,
John.

Hey Rob,

I’ve been in A3s/6s &7s for about the last 10 years, so no experience of the 4/RS4 platform, sorry.

The earlier RS6s had similar issues with the DRC system, and a lot of people converted them to a standard set up.

I’m on air on the S7 - you may need to check if air is standard on the S6 platform or an option. I’m not sure, as the S7 is not spec’d the same as the S6.

I have a Cete Adaptive Suspension Control module installed, which allows me to dial in any ride height on the fly, from +40mm to -50mm using a Bluetooth connected app. For daily use I’m set up for -20mm Front and Rear. You can see some pics here (Post #4)

I’m on 20” alloys, and the ride is fine, though the lower you go, the harsher the ride becomes!

Had my S7 from new, and now just over 40k Miles. No mechanical issues in that time, just a persistent DAB issue with the MMI.

Went APR Stage 1 a couple of months before it came out of warranty. Still no issues and great fun to drive. Get around 24-28Mpg depending on how I drive.

Cheers,
John.
Many thanks for the feedback.

I think the S6 has air as standard. The easy lowering is an appeal. How is handling on the twisty stuff? Barge like or hunkered down?

I came from a B9 S4 to the B8 RS4. There were some odd trade offs but it is better car in the corners because it corners flat. But certainly heavier.

The 7 is a big car and weighs almost 2tons. There is no escaping the (luxurious) barge like cornering, even when lowered.

This is why the RS’s have the DRC arrangement.

Our US cousins are fans of adding aftermarket sway bars to reduce the body roll, but tbh, it’s such a capable car when you gun the V8, the straight line performance more than makes up for the slower cornering :racer:

The 7 is a big car and weighs almost 2tons. There is no escaping the (luxurious) barge like cornering, even when lowered.

This is why the RS’s have the DRC arrangement.

Our US cousins are fans of adding aftermarket sway bars to reduce the body roll, but tbh, it’s such a capable car when you gun the V8, the straight line performance more than makes up for the slower cornering :racer:
So it's sprint to corner, gentle jog around it and sprint out then? Haha. Pretty much the Audi back catalogue in all fairness. When things get tight anyway.

Cheers bud. I'll keep an eye on the market for 2016 cars. Plenty of S7s but as usual, the S6 is a rare car.

Reactions: RAF_S7